• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The OMG what on earth happened there Liverpool 1 Wolves 2 verdict

Cheers. Also:

16388359_743897809102135_980083246452627543_n.jpg

I love Rachel Riley!

Fwiw I thought Dicko was dreadfully today, in my opinion it was the worst I've ever seen him play.

Saville was very good as well as (and I'm surprised at myself) Coady.

I know nearly everyone has seen the game but may as well give my verdict from being there. Firstly it was a pleasure to see how organised we were and how Lambert had us set up and the players stuck to it. Stoke was the first game where i thought Lambert was showing us what we could be and today just added to it. I will add though that there are a couple of players who have played in both FA Cup games so far that now need to be in the first team regularly (Hause and Evans)

Burgoyne - He didn't have a lot to do did he but what a save at the end with his feet. Kicking isn't great at times and does need to work on his positioning during open play to get closer to the balls played through but that will come.

Coady - So much better at right back than in midfield. Strong in the tackle and passing much better there and well worth his place ahead of Iorfa.

Stearman - Good header to open the scoring and apart from a silly yellow card he was outstanding. Leader at the back and always seems to be in the way.

Hause - I still think he's our best centre half when played next to someone other than Batth. He's brilliant in the air and gives us natural balance with being left footed. He always seems to be in the right place to clear even if he doesn't always get a clean connection. Has to play more.

Doherty - Not as much of a threat going forward as he usually is but defended pretty well especially when Liverpool tried to push players higher in wide positions n the second half.

Evans - Like at Stoke he was brilliant. Wins tackles, presses, breaks play up but can then also spray passes and is extremely calm on the ball, another like Hause that i think needs to play.

Saville - IMO his best performance in a Wolves shirt, like Evans he was good in the tackle and helped break up or slow Liverpool attacks. He was calm on the ball and showed that maybe he does have something to give.

Edwards - I think he was the weakest of the midfield 3 in terms of what he did with the ball and defensively but he did actually lead today and kept us organised which was vital. He was shattered at the end but kept pressing when he needed to.

Costa - Best player i've seen in a Wolves shirt i think. The lad is unbelievable. Genuinely a Premier League player playing at Wolves in the Championship and according to Tim he is our player now which i can't believe until i see the club confirm it. 2 assists and nearly scored the best goal from a Wolves player in years.

Weimann - I'd give Derby a couple of million and sign him now. Work rate is top notch, has pace and also has quality on the ball. His finish was class, so calm rounding Karius. One bit of defending saved us massively when Costa and Evans messed a corner up and he got back to intercept.

Dicko - Played well first half particularly with his movement in to channels to create space for others but he still is some way off what he used to be. Loose touches all over the place and just seems a yard behind where he should be mentally. I know some are adamant it will come back but i still don't think it will which is a shame but right now we have a better option.

SUBS

Ronan - Calm on the ball, played one excellent cross field pass and not afraid to get stuck in. He's got real ability and we will see him more and more.

Bod - Should have come on at least 10 minutes earlier than he did but he was quality. Showed exactly how to lead the line and deserved a goal from one of his two chances, especially the one he created himself. Honestly if he scored goals he'd be up there with Costa but he's our best option up top at the minute.

Mason - Provided a bit of energy as Weimann became tired.

As good a day as i've had as a Wolves fan. Everyone from the players to the manager and to the fans were quality and we deserved to win. The organisation of the team was a pleasure to see and honestly i think we are going to be some team next season once Lambert has had even more time with some of these players and got in some of his own.

I'm going to be buzzing all week, i'm just gutted i can't go to Barnsley due to work.

I thought Dicko did as much as he could today. Still lacking in match sharpness and fitness and looked knackered after about 65. Up to that point though he ran and ran, chased, harried and did what he could to hold the ball up. A few better placed passes would have seen him have some opportunities.

He's clearly not the old Dicko yet but showed glimpses.

Great blog Dan. Here's hoping this cup run can spur us on to a better 2nd half of the season as you said.

And I would also like to eat my words regarding Saville, Edwards and Evans from before kick off. You were amazing lads.

I haven't been able to watch a Wolves game for years, 2012 I think, but was able to get a download of today's broadcast. My heart lit up when I saw the old gold come on screen. I've been watching Arsenal this year just because I miss watching premiership football (much easier for me to get over here), but it's just not the same.

And Wolves won! At Anfield, no less!

Very excited to watch the next round.

I don't know what to do with myself today.

Rubbish; don't the pubs open up there around midday? ;)

That's far too long to wait! :icon_lol:

I've decided I'm going to go to Celtic vs Hearts. Need my fix of live football + I can compare the stadiums, YNWA etc.

I had a tear run from my eye as I walked out of Anfield absolutely ecstatic

Back