• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Olympiakos apparently have a €5M option to buy Podence.

The number of times we are putting out he's not for sale...but lines to journalists. I think we are desperate to sell either because we've promised it to him, Mendes is playing up or we think we can be stronger by spending the money and there's nothing available otherwise

Yeah, it is annoying how keen we seem to be to invite offers for him. However, if we get £80m for him then it would be a case of being gutted he's going but wishing him well for the future. Like Jota & Neves, he deserves to play for a bigger club (not that Neves seemed to have that option).

I wouldn't be surprised if we caved in to a lower offer though.

Reactions: b3h
The number of times we are putting out he's not for sale...but lines to journalists. I think we are desperate to sell either because we've promised it to him, Mendes is playing up or we think we can be stronger by spending the money and there's nothing available otherwise
GO's line this week is pretty standard for a player everyone knows is off - "Don't want or need to sell but if a big club comes in then they have to pay what he is worth"

Mendes will be getting him his move, Neto will be expecting a move, Wolves know he is off, Hobbs will be planning the summer moves based on him leaving, GO knows he is off BUT it was at least refreshing to see a line about us not being in a situation financially where we need to sell him. Whether club led or just GO going off on one it was the first signs of PSR being put behind us. Bullshit or otherwise, it was the first public swerve on that matter.

Last edited:
Stood our ground to an extent on a player who packed his shit and refused to play for us. I might be wrong but I don't see Neto being a twat like Nunes.

As long as Hobbs is leading the talks, confident we get what we want for him. Jeff steps back in and fuck knows what happens

Last edited:
He was saying 2-3 years ago that Arsenal wanted him.

I'm not sure they have that kind of liquidity though, unless they sell someone like Martinelli.

He was saying 2-3 years ago that Arsenal wanted him.

I'm not sure they have that kind of liquidity though, unless they sell someone like Martinelli.
Putting their season ticket prices to cover the fee...

1708618799574.png

We should have done that.

Me: "Bloody club, prices up again for no reason, this is beyond a joke"
Wolves: "Hi Dan, that increase paid to get rid of Lage and his dork brother"
Me: "Why didn't you say so, I'd have paid double"

Yeah, it is annoying how keen we seem to be to invite offers for him. However, if we get £80m for him then it would be a case of being gutted he's going but wishing him well for the future. Like Jota & Neves, he deserves to play for a bigger club (not that Neves seemed to have that option).

I can see Neves coming back here one day.

Neto deserves his move, for me. Because of his style of play & his patchy injury record, he's probably got a shorter time-frame than someone like - say, Neves - to get his move to a top, top club. I'll be sad to see him go but also understanding that it's the best thing for all parties.

If we get anything close to £80m & reinvest a reasonable chunk of it back in to the squad, we should be alright. Especially if we stick to the Joao Gomes low risk/high potential bracket instead of the "lets spaff a shitload on players who don't want to be here" one.

Neto deserves his move, for me. Because of his style of play & his patchy injury record, he's probably got a shorter time-frame than someone like - say, Neves - to get his move to a top, top club. I'll be sad to see him go but also understanding that it's the best thing for all parties.

If we get anything close to £80m & reinvest a reasonable chunk of it back in to the squad, we should be alright. Especially if we stick to the Joao Gomes low risk/high potential bracket instead of the "lets spaff a shitload on players who don't want to be here" one.

It’s a shame Klopp is leaving Liverpool as he would have absolutely soared there.

I’m with you - £70-80m is absolutely silly money but the key is to reinvest it wisely. Neto won’t throw his toys out of the pram to get a big move either, he seems to have a top notch attitude and will hold out for the club to get the right fee just like Neves did.

Not sure about that final sentence, I don't know what he's like off the pitch but on it he's a highly strung guy and you can guarantee Mendes is putting ideas in his head. It's only 6th months since another of his clients went on strike and got his own way (not that I think it made a difference). Neves didn't really have a choice in those first 2 Summers we wanted to move him, we didn't have a credible offer, Barcelona just prick teased him. No doubt his attitude remained spot on though.

Pretty confident he will kick up a fuss if he’s not allowed to leave. Fortunately I don’t think it will matter as we actively want him to. But with that and his agent we might not get the price we think is right.

I listen to a couple of Wolves podcasts (fancast & talking wolves) on my drive to work throughout the week & both of them have mentioned Neto and his seemingly increasing frustration at his teammates. Lots of arm flapping & exasperated huffs & puffs when a pass is misplaced or doesn’t quite reach him etc. I was surprised by both podcasts going in on Neto a bit. They were wondering if those actions were signs that Pedro is starting to feel like he’s outgrown us - like he’s too big for us. There were comments that if he’s doing that publicly, he could well end up kicking off a bit for a move in the summer behind closed doors.

Personally, I don’t think he will & I think that’s a bit unfair. The frustration at his teammates comes across to me in a way that he wants them to be better. If it motivates them to do better, it’s fine, but if it’s turns & starts to have a detrimental effect (I hope/don’t think it will) then that’s when we need to worry.

As with most sales the fee will depend on the number of buyers. I’d imagine all the top clubs will be interested and if we get two that really want him that could see a few in the realms of £70m. Well only have an issue if only one team is prepared to pay what we want or if Neto has his heart set on a particular club.

Back