• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

If we sell Bueno early on, and then someone comes in with a £35m bid for RAN from a CL club and he wants to go then what do we do? We'd need to spend the Bueno money on another LB. So IMO don't sell him unless we know that RAN is definitely staying.

Attachments

• Ki-Jana-Hoever-Wolves-TEAMtalk.jpg
    Ki-Jana-Hoever-Wolves-TEAMtalk.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m hoping we get a run of games now with Hugo at LWB & RAN playing in the front three. Ideally with Cunha through the middle. Odd that Gaz hasn’t really given him a decent run given how thin our squad is. Even more so with Doc regularly involved.

Man United want Joao Gomes. £60m or fuck off. Or £55m and you can have a free Doherty.

Manchester United are targeting Wolves midfielder Joao Gomes, 23, as a replacement for his fellow Brazilian Casemiro, 32. (Mirror)

Apologies to Paddy, as I posted this before seeing that he'd already done it in the post above FFS.

Last edited:
Man United want Joao Gomes. £60m or fuck off. Or £55m and you can have a free Doherty.
I think he is one of the three that we 'must' try to keep [Cunha, RAN, Gomes] and so don't think £60m is anywhere near enough. I do appreciate though that a player* would want this move and therefore £60m 'would' be sufficient.

* Jeff and Matt will also see that this represents proof that their model works [and this would suggest that] but doesn't take into account his value to the team and future ceiling.

I know and this is why I could see it being accepted [if indeed the bid did materialise]. However as a fan and someone who 'thinks' there would be better ways to raise £60m from this squad, I hope a) it doesn't happen (I think it will, even if it's not from Man United) and b) if it did we would reject it (we won't)

Rui has sadly had it now, scored terribly on all the metrics for a couple of years, finally lost his spot (probably overdue) and he's 36 now.

In retrospect some of the signs were there in his final year here, quite a few questionable goals that went in (of course we replaced him with Sa who always lets in a chunk of joke goals a season).

Rui definite regressed in his last season here after being brilliant in his first two and it appeared, from the highlights I saw, that this continued into his first Roma season where numerous mistakes were shown. I did though seem as if in the latter part of his first Roma season and into his second that he got a return to form.

Regardless, he was incredibly instrumental in our rise under Nuno, providing us with a secure PL footing and brilliant European campaign. We've had stalwarts and characters in goal before, but never in my time a genuine world class icon.

I'd like to think we can talk Joao into giving us one more year, and Cunha too. Even RAN, we can say 'look, we've found you a perfect role that you love. One more season to get your G/A numbers up and you'll get an elite move'.

We don't need a sale to stay solvent. I accept they're not going to make much money available, but I'd rather just take a punt on two £7m players and keep the key players for a year, than lose somebody for £60m and then have to buy somebody that *has* to hit the ground running or we're in trouble. It seems an unnecessary risk for an investment firm to make, especially when the value of the saleable assets is more likely to appreciate than depreciate

Just to clarify, my Rui comment was tongue in cheek (as are many of my posts!)

I'd like to think we can talk Joao into giving us one more year, and Cunha too. Even RAN, we can say 'look, we've found you a perfect role that you love. One more season to get your G/A numbers up and you'll get an elite move'.

We don't need a sale to stay solvent. I accept they're not going to make much money available, but I'd rather just take a punt on two £7m players and keep the key players for a year, than lose somebody for £60m and then have to buy somebody that *has* to hit the ground running or we're in trouble. It seems an unnecessary risk for an investment firm to make, especially when the value of the saleable assets is more likely to appreciate than depreciate
Totally agree.

I'd take a "boring" summer window.

Keep all the 1st team players, get a RWB back up, a striker, a back up keeper, bring back Mosquera and Chiquinho to be squad players.

Yeah that'd be great.

Last edited:
I don't think Joao Gomes will push for a move and I think he's the kind of lad that will look at the bigger picture in terms of his development and see that it makes more sense to stay here, where he's already an established first team player, at least for another season or two.

Don't get me wrong, if I were anything to do with Man United I would be interested in him too, because he immediately walks in to their starting 11 and improves them - but if Fosun roll over & have their belly tickled when the lad doesn't even want a move, they're even worse than I thought.

As NSL said earlier, RAN/Cunha & Gomes are the three that we probably can't afford to lose (in a squad sense) this summer.

I'd add Semedo to that list (looming contract situation notwithstanding). We don't have anyone else to play there, not even as an acceptable stopgap. I'd much rather play Lembikisa than Doherty or Hoever and he's miles off PL level at this stage.

I have never been a Semedo fan, especially given what he cost, but this season he has been fantastic and would now be a massive loss if he were to go. However he is replaceable and I think we could get a similar player with similar attributes for the same amount of money we received for him. Unfortunately his contract situation muddies any of this thinking and I'm sure we have to consider any decent offer.

Totally agree.

I'd take a "boring" summer window.

Keep all the 1st team players, get a RWB back up, a striker, a back up keeper, bring back Mosquera and Chiquinho to be squad players.

Yeah that'd be great.

Chiquinho isn't good enough unfortunately so I'd definitely add another wide forward to that list.

It'll probably be 2 strikers as well as we'll want to loan out Fraser.

That's quite a lot to get done on a miniscule budget really so I think we will need to sell at least 1 first team player to make sure that those we bring in have the quality to make a difference.

Why would it be a miniscule budget? And what is a miniscule budget?

They won't sign 2 strikers if we're not selling any of our forwards, not a chance. Especially as an injured Sasa will be back too.

Back