• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Swansea Verdict thread

You'd think it was like John Hartson booting Benayoun in the bonce reading some of this :icon_lol:
That's not the point, though for comparison a trip is an instant red card in Rugby as it's recognised a fall from a trip can be very dangerous.

For a week maybe then players would stop it. Happened very quickly with tackles from behind and elbows to the head.

Would it bollocks. Has diving stopped since it became a bookable offence?

That's not the point, though for comparison a trip is an instant red card in Rugby as it's recognised a fall from a trip can be very dangerous.

It's probably frowned upon in snooker too, for how relevant that is

Yep, happy with that. The sight of a prem team time-wasting on their own corner kick in the 90th min was laughable yesterday.
Nothing wrong with a team seeing a game out, I actually quite enjoy a bit of nonsense in the corner to run the clock down at the end of the game.

If fer is a red, neves would have been off four times this season, pretty much all of his cards have been for tripping or hauling a player back once beaten.

How about the foul on Doherty after he merked somebody over his head the other day? That a red too?

Nothing wrong with a team seeing a game out, I actually quite enjoy a bit of nonsense in the corner to run the clock down at the end of the game.
Yes a bit of back and forth in the corner, but not holding the ball in thought beforehand taking your own corner and the chance to win a game.

I think the Fer trip is a good example of why sin bins should be introduced. 5 minutes off the pitch would suffice for that kind of offence.

I actually think the Fer one is a red. There's a difference between cynically body checking someone to stop them running away from you and aiming a clear kick at someone from behind. There's also the fact that he'd just hauled Costa to the floor in the build up to the foul.

This is an excellent point. Had the referee shown a yellow for the original incident, and then a second yellow for the foul then Fèr could have had no complaints. I suppose in hindsight the referee wishes he had stopped the game and cautioned Fer for the wrestling, but in my opinion he was correct to allow play to carry on as Wolves had the ball and were about to mount an attack. As discussed on here recently, the referee could have shown two yellows after the trip, making it clear what the first one was for.

Swansea will appeal and I hope they win their appeal, but it all depends on the referee, and whether he will admit that a yellow would have been sufficient punishment.

I think the Fer trip is a good example of why sin bins should be introduced. 5 minutes off the pitch would suffice for that kind of offence.
I would be in favor of this, sometimes yellow cards are shared out "taking one for the team" but take a player away for a period of time as well as a yellow and its more of an incentive not to commit such fouls.

Its been more of a problem for us this season given how we play and break away but take the Cardiff game for example half their team would have ended up in the sin bin giving us a huge advantage.

Hope we get one of the replays picked for TV.
Hopefully BBC Wales show it. They have the Newport v Leeds game on today at 12 noon when no other channels are showing it.

This is an excellent point. Had the referee shown a yellow for the original incident, and then a second yellow for the foul then Fèr could have had no complaints. I suppose in hindsight the referee wishes he had stopped the game and cautioned Fer for the wrestling, but in my opinion he was correct to allow play to carry on as Wolves had the ball and were about to mount an attack. As discussed on here recently, the referee could have shown two yellows after the trip, making it clear what the first one was for.

Swansea will appeal and I hope they win their appeal, but it all depends on the referee, and whether he will admit that a yellow would have been sufficient punishment.
Don't think anyone could've argued with the outcome it that's what the referee had done, Fer might still have felt it was harsh to be dismissed but you could easily make the case for two separate yellow card offences as you say.

It’s never a red. Certainly not violent conduct and a 3 game ban!! Yes it’s annoying breaking up play like that but it’s not like it happens all the time, if a player does that early on and gets a yellow then he’s on a tightrope all game.
That said, the introduction of sin bins would be a good idea.

So far this season, I’ve seen Bennett away at Man City physically slide in a desperate attempt to trip and break up a counter - yellow card. Price did something similar at home and his was waaayyy more violent than Fer. Neves and Saiss are as guilty of it as anyone so we need to take the glasses off.

And what about Bolys block against Brentford. Again far more violent and dangerous than Fer making no attempt to play the ball. Imagine the outrage on here if he had gone for that!

Not sure we'll be playing football much longer if some people have their way. Sin bins, red cards for little niggles, video replays every 2 minutes, who knows what's next, maybe change the shape of the ball. The Fer challenge is an annoying one and when it's against your side it rightly pisses you off but it's never a red card in a million years. Every one saw him kick out but i would say everyone was surprised when the ref showed the red card.

Vinagre a definite red but he doesn't mean it. He's trying to get his body between the ball and Dyer but Dyer gets there quickly. Shame really as we were dominating and i think we would have won comfortably in the end had it stayed 11v11.

Swansea have no chance of staying up on that performance. They were still second best against 10 and when it got evened up they played for a replay which is strange in their position.

Biggest thing to take from the game though was that if needed we have plenty of players ready to slot in. I think all of those who haven't been playing regularly showed that they have something to offer us.

I do find this a really interesting discussion.

If a player blatantly kicks out at an opponent who doesn't have the ball (regardless of if it'd cause serious injury - that's not quite the point) he's sent off. Why, then, should the same not apply to a player blatantly kicking out an opponent who does have the ball. What's the difference? And for the example here, I'm suggesting the times when everyone on the planet knows it is blatant and not a late attempt to play the ball. And for clarification, talking about blatant kicks, hacks, lunges, etc, rather than a bit of shirt-pulling.

This isn't a rhetorical question. Just one to ponder.

Also think of it in isolation rather than "But it has been a yellow for years, that's just how it is, part of the game" etc etc. I know what the cynical kicks do get for punishment. I'm more interested in what people think such fouls should get on merit, not on history.

Fer's foul wasn't a pul back though was it, or even really a trip. He actually kicked Costa as he was running away. As Noodle said, if he did that off the ball he would be sent off, so I can actually understand people's view on it.

Johnny's idea of a sin bin is actually quite interesting as the punishment for slowing the game down with a cynical foul isn't currently a deterrent.

What doesn't help the debate is all this proper football men nonsense (ie. "the games gone I tell you") and sarcastic responses to what was actually quite an interesting discussion.

Fer's foul wasn't a pul back though was it, or even really a trip. He actually kicked Costa as he was running away. As Noodle said, if he did that off the ball he would be sent off, so I can actually understand people's view on it.

Johnny's idea of a sin bin is actually quite interesting as the punishment for slowing the game down with a cynical foul isn't currently a deterrent.

What doesn't help the debate is all this proper football men nonsense (ie. "the games gone I tell you") and sarcastic responses to what was actually quite an interesting discussion.
I think on this and the Batth red card, there's been a lot of comments based on what people believe the rules should be, not what they are.

I've been arguing for sin bins for years, but now I don't think it would work. If you have a player off the pitch, you're just going to time waste until they get back on the pitch. It'll ruin the game flow.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I was shocked when the card was red not yellow. But I'm happy as it was so, so desperate, Costa was completely gone, done him, and he kicks him. Just the way he did it. Often with cynical fouls it just doesn't feel so shitty and blatant to me so yeah, fuck Fer.

Back