• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

Such a basic error, made worse by the fact we were ahead and all he needed to do was put it down the line. Wonder finish but should never have had the chance. Other sub Pod brought nothing to the game as I expected. Lage is clueless and if Fosun are prepared to spend big on players they need to bring a manager to get the best out of them.

Back four, Neves and Nunes did well. Raul should put more effort into keeping the ball and less into moaning constantly, he’s becoming a joke.

They had 64% possession, 21 shots (6 on target), and 13 (!) corners. We were on the back foot the majority of the 2nd half. They should have had a penalty as well, no clue why that wasn't given.

We were defending for our lives and lucky it was Almiron and Wood instead of Salah and Diaz (or Jota...)

Trouble is they can't see the problem at board level, so he'll just be allowed to muddle on.

They had 64% possession, 21 shots (6 on target), and 13 (!) corners. We were on the back foot the majority of the 2nd half. They should have had a penalty as well, no clue why that wasn't given.

We were defending for our lives.

Yet I don’t recall Sa making a save before the ASM chance in added time…

Too many looked a bit leggy which given that the game was not exactly played at a high tempo is quite worrying. Appeared to be minimal character on the pitch or any leadership. Our ability to attack as a fluent unit with many options is way off the requirement and without Ruben today we'd have lost. Much to be done. Not entirely convinced Lage can resolve this on the training field.

We've played Fulham and Newcastle at home so far, how many of their players (who played in those games) would get in our starting XI as a genuine improvement? You might take Tripper, Saint Maximin and Mitrovic at a push, the rest are clearly either on the same level or inferior.

Simply put we should be getting four points minimum from these two games, as we didn't he has to be sacked if we don't beat Bournemouth (he should be sacked anyway as he's a moron).

Moaning and groaning aside, it has to be said that Ruben Neves put in literally the perfect DM performance. His passing was wonderful (barring one through ball), and his defensive actions must comfortably have been in double figures. It was an absolutely top draw performance

if at 80 minutes you try to close the game out, then you don't put 2 pygmys on the pitch !!!

I would have brought Podence on, just not Hwang. But the subs should have been Podence/Traore/Donk for Neto/Guedes/Nunes around the 60 minute mark.

Anyone with any level of basic football intelligence knows as a defender you don't clear the ball into the centre of the pitch in front of your own penalty area. The thing is, Hwang has no level of football intelligence whatsoever. One of of the worst PL footballers I have ever seen. Absolute and utter garbage of a player. We might not have deserved to win but without that complete fucking waste of skin on the pitch we might well have won 3 points.

That was poor. We’ve got some great players out there and rely on them for moments of individual brilliance rather than impose any kind of plan on the game. I didn’t see us control any part of that match. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why some people are comfortable waiting until the World Cup until we change the manager to dig us out of a massive hole.

Neves very good. Semedo good too and I thought Guedes had a decent game.

We deserved 1 point and got 1 point. Still not creating enough and our lack of goal threat isn't going to be solved by 1 striker coming in.

Hwang is the owners vanity project and always has been, but when you bring sub Championship players on at this level it costs you.

Neves was brilliant and at this point of the window no amount of money we could receive is enough for him.

I think lack of leadership is unfair - Ruben very much played like a captain today and there are plenty of talkers out there (Kilman, Collins, Moutinho)

I think after a satisfactory first half there was a lack of discipline in the second. Massive game for us and we didn't hold it together. Ruben will lead by example and Mout is the dogs gonads as far as I am concerned. Given the situation the club is in it needed an iron fist and I feel too many of them could have done far better.

First half we played some neat enough stuff without being especially threatening in terms of drawing saves/scoring. Nunes ought to do better with his opportunity. Newcastle had a bit of a spell about halfway through and REALLY ought to have scored through Willock. After that we scored and finished strongly again.

Second half was wholly on Lage, we were playing for the 1-0 and surrendered possession far too much. Completely lost our composure on the ball and despite all of that Newcastle didn't really fashion any big chances shots were speculative and despite the waves of attakcs we had them for the most part at arms length.

The problem with these 'tactics' you're only ever a rick or a moment of brilliance away from the plan going down the toilet. Today we got both with Hwang's clearance and a quite brilliant volley from ASM.

Half joked when Hwang and Podence came on that they were coming on to rescue defeat from the jaws of victory. How prophetic.

The guy is an utter charlatan. Pound for pound allowing for context hes right up there with our very worst signings of all time.

A word for Neves today who was outstanding, goal aside he was excellent in the tackle, made blocks, got about the pitch and that pass for the Neto opportunity was sheer brilliance.

Find the comments about Neto on the match thread perplexing and at odds with what I saw in person.

Lage needs to go, he's a clown. I wouldn't give him till Wednesday much less November.

Back