• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 Watford 0: The Verdict

Played well.
Controlled the game.
Played some good football, thought Adama was poor today Doc was almost back to last seasons form.

This was more like the Wolves of last season. I like the distribution of Boly-Coady-Saiss. The defending at times is not great.
Nice to get the win hopefully we will get some confidence now

Saiss was immense.

We were as good as Watford were poor. You play Welbeck up front on his own you're going to struggle, hard.

Defence was mostly very good...was a bit iffy pre-game about Saiss coming straight back in after his idiotic sending off but he did well. Rui almost dropped a clanger and had one or two questionable kicks but was otherwise decent.

Bit average overall otherwise tbh. Donck looked a bit lost at times and still doesn't seem himself. Moutinho chasing down the ball and trying to get people organised helped keep us in relative control, Watford had plenty of possession 2nd half but didn't do anything with it, and we looked reasonably decent on the counter.

Not sure what I'd give Traore today tbh but he wasn't up to the standard he set himself before. MGW was hit and miss, unlucky not to put Cutrone in, think Foster was just too far out of his goal rather than the pass not being good enough. Couple times he over elaborated but equally he played some passes that nobody else really did.

Hopefully this is the real kick start to the season, but again I wouldn't read too much into it just yet.

Table certainly looks a lot better than it did a few hours ago, so cheers to that.

A very professional performance in which everyone did what they had to - no under par performances for me.

I thought Saiss and Jonny were excellent throughout and Doherty seemed to be buoyed by having Boly behind him - they linked up well.

Neto looks decent, Raul ran his bollocks off, Moutinho makes the game look simple, Donk was better than his last few poor displays.

Overall, we were solid and did our jobs. Deserved win. I'll give Jonny MOTM.

Also loved the abuse Ben Foster received. Excellent shithousing particularly from the South Bank.

A very professional performance in which everyone did what they had to - no under par performances for me.

I thought Saiss and Jonny were excellent throughout and Doherty seemed to be buoyed by having Boly behind him - they linked up well.

Neto looks decent, Raul ran his bollocks off, Moutinho makes the game look simple, Donk was better than his last few poor displays.

Overall, we were solid and did our jobs. Deserved win. I'll give Jonny MOTM.

Also loved the abuse Ben Foster received. Excellent shithousing particularly from the South Bank.
Yep that basically how I saw it

We seem to create a good couple of openings and decided not to make the pass or choose the wrong option

Bit better decision making needed I think

Keef is now officially part of the family!!! (He does look like Danny Baker, though).

Anyway, my turn to be a boastful fucker...I'm off to a party with a free bar.........and it's next door!!!!).

Laters, my loves.

Four points from Palace and this and things look better. A win in the EL this week and I'll be even happier.

We aren't firing on all cylinders as I think Nuno is feeling his way in terms of personnel and formation.

Bold to start Neto and he didn't let himself down. Good to see Doc back and a clean sheet is very welcome.

As for Watford... they have some really preening, narcissistic footballers like Deulofeu and Pereyra who play like they're being controlled by flash teenagers playing Fifa, all flicks and backheels and stepovers but with nothing to show for it. I couldn't believe their lack of urgency in the last few mins of the game, you'd have thought they were 2-0 up

Pretty good performance I thought - and a huge improvement in the way we are playing following on from last week. Although not everything came off for them, both Neto and Traore played key parts in a goal each combining with the wing backs.

I thought we were a lot more aggressive today, whereas at the start of this season we have been quite passive when defending. Even Traore was hunting down players in the right areas and with the mess Watford find themselves in, it definitely helped

We are still prone to the odd lapse where we give the ball away under no pressure (Donck particularly guilty of this) but in general we retained the ball better and our build up play st times was very enjoyable

I was worried we had set too deep too early in the second half but the second goal came just at the right time. We gained control from then on, in and out of possession.

Moutinho MOTM for me probably, though I agree with those praising Jonny in particular. Coady much better than he’s played for a while too

Keef is now officially part of the family!!! (He does look like Danny Baker, though).

Anyway, my turn to be a boastful fucker...I'm off to a party with a free bar.........and it's next door!!!!).

Laters, my loves.

That's it! Not talking to you next time I make an appearance,insulting me like that,and me the new lad who was properly nervous

Also - thought Neves (in the brief time he was on) looked a lot more assured than recently, moved the ball really well and played a lot higher

Was very impressed with Jonny today, particularly on the goal. Doherty is also getting back his fitness and his form. I never thought I would say this but Matt is vital to the way we play under Nuno. Last season, it was Doherty, Donck, and Mouthino (and Neves, to a lesser extent) who were central to the Wolves' play. Mouthino had a quiet game today but I'm hoping that Donck can get back to the form he displayed last season, then we'll really start ticking as an attacking and counterattacking force again.

Very happy with the result, throat still sore from shouting for the second goal. Should have been 3-0, cant believe the handball wasnt a penalty, whats the, fucking point of var.
Thought we were pretty decent, and watford were pretty poor. They genuinely seem to be without a plan. Great to see doc back, scoring one and creating the second. Neto did well but id still see jota back, hopefully some healthy competition will light a fire up his arse and motivate him.
Jonny was outstanding, Saiss and boly were superb, no yellow for saiss must be a new record. Though traore did ok, he still tries to run too much and looses the ball too often. That being said, he had a lot of dangerous crosses.
Very happy with the win!

I thought we didn't get out of second gear as we didn't need to. Makes a real difference to lead and it showed. Better control after the second goal. I am not convinced with Traore up front. Doc was great today. Satisfactory all round but still capable of more. Nice to make game 13 against the bottom side a win. Decent week results wise. Hopefully a platform

Jonny was excellent today. We controlled the game pretty much completely and abusing Foster was joyous.

If Watford don't find some solutions PDQ they are going down in 20th. They were mince.

Couldn't believe how poor Watford were, with and without the ball. Clueless. Thought Saiss and Jonny stood out, top quality defending and calm under pressure turning defence into attack. Everybody seems to be rediscovering their form, bar perhaps Donk who still looks a little lost at times. Could do with our strikers discovering their shooting boots soon, maybe away at City (!)...

Would like to thank Watford for playing with a stupidly high line. Its as if they had never watched us before. If only they had a reference point on how to beat us and stop us playing like we want to do.

Everybody seems to be rediscovering their form, bar perhaps Donk who still looks a little lost at times.

Donk stuck in the middle we saw good and bad but playing him like Belgium do takes a lot out of his game. No storming runs forward etc. See how much he got forward when Neves came on and we changed the formation, all of a sudden he was able to make the runs with Doc. He still made some brilliant blocks and got in important challanges but did lose possesion a few times

So looking at the season so far
Rui, a couple of moments but some great saves and good recoveries
Doc, indifferent start but on the up. Long may it continue.
Boly, a couple of dodgy moments and brain farts so far but solid most of the time.
Coady, looked good today. Put two poor games behind him.
Saiss a walking yellow card even if he is a solid one. Rough with the smooth. Looks good at the back.
Bennett. Gift goals have cost him his place but a solid enough back up.
Jonny, good today but has been liquorice all sorts so far in the prem.Let's hope today kick starts a run of form.
Donk. Who are you and what have you done with our donk? Miles off last seasons form. I am hoping that form is temporary and quality is permanent. Fingers crossed. We need him on song.
Neves. Has not controlled one premier game so far. Come on Ruben you're better than that.
Moutinho, 43 year old head on a 33 year old body that thinks he is 23. Don't burn him out. Head and shoulders our best player so far. 5m is robbery.
Neto, if he is a favour I would happily have a few more. Good fill in while Jota has his annual spell of going missing.
Jota. Doesn't do the first couple of months then it all clicks. I hope so. He is better than his premier form
Raul. Looks a bit tired. Yet to really click in the prem but it will come.
Traore, better at rwb than up front. Great effort and a good heart. I fear he just isn't a good fit long term.
MGW. Not convinced. Doesn't do the simple things well enough for me. Running out of chances.
Cutrone. Solid but not setting my heart on fire tbf. Hope he comes good. Fear he won't.
Vinagre. Can't defend well enough yet but learning.
Nuno. Uncharacteristic mistakes in selection and formation. He has plenty in the bank but needs to find some consistent league form. Can be a bit myopic. Still awesome !
Overall. 6 out of 10. Could and should do better. The last week is an improvement. Good to beat bottom teams.

Back