• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 0 Reading: The Verdict

You can't seriously include Southampton as a bounce back game as that was in the cup and we made 8 or 9 changes!

It's my stat so I'll include what I like thankyousoverymuch!

2d737b006b427e0f966760641adc383a.gif

Just got back home to south west London. Will post a full verdict tomorrow but safe to say that's about as comfortable a win as we've had all season. Reading were terrible and we dominated, upping the pace in the second half to clinical effect. Ruddy was a virtual spectator, the defence looked comfortable with Bennett in particular looking good, Doherty had his best ever game for wolves (no doubt as he had very little defending to do), Saiss and Neves ran the show and Costa and Cav were both excellent. An enjoyable evening and the atmosphere was great - not remotely nervy despite the first goal taking a while to come.

Lots of QPR fans on my train on the way home who couldn't believe they'd scored three away at the Villa. It's a funny old division this. Let's get out of it asap.

Thought I'd do a fuller write-up today, although much has already been covered by others who went.

A special mention for Reading, who were by far and away the least effective opponent I've seen us face in a long, long time. They were time-wasting after 10 minutes, kept trying to play out from the back but with neither speed nor accuracy - leaving themselves prone to losing the ball in very dangerous areas. Talking of dangerous, a typical performance from ower Dave, who cropped up all over the pitch but did absolutely nothing with or without the ball. Plus ca change.

In terms of our players

Ruddy - had nothing to do other than claim a few balls and keep the ball moving at the back

Boly - strong, comfortable and troubled by absolutely nothing

Coady - had all the time in the world to ping the ball around to his heart's content

Bennett - an instant improvement on captain Danny Batth. Assured in possession, used the ball well and defended well.

Douglas - got forward more than he has done recently, but still seems reluctant to do so. Did well with the headed back across goal for Doherty's first and put some very good deliveries in - as we know he can

Neves - a class above any midfielder I've seen play at the club. And he's only just turned 21. He always knows what he's going to do with the ball before he's received it - has an unbelievable ability to read play, giving him plenty of time whenever he has the ball

Saiss - Much improved and always looks a lot better with Neves next to him. Always looks to play one-touch if he can and simply plays Nuno's game-plan much better than N'Diaye (who is a different sort of player)

Doherty - Best game I've ever seen him have for the club. Took up some great positions and used the ball very well whenever he received it

Jota - not on for long and was a little slow to react to the follow-up following Costa's shot early on

Afobe - did not get into the game at all in the first half. Nothing would stick to him and his movement was just not good enough. Improved second half and glad to see him get his goal - especially after fluffing his lines a little earlier.

Costa - livewire all game and looked like the Costa of last season. As good as Neves' ball was to him for the Afobe goal, Costa's blistering pace made the pass what it was and helped to put pressure on Reading's keeper

---

Cav - always looking to create, always looking to work hard. He's in great form and had a fantastic impact on the match and on his fellow players
Bonatini - linked up well but is clearly very short on confidence. Needs a goal.
N'Diaye - not on for long, but managed to impose himself in the short time he was on the pitch.

It was an impressive performance, but until the second half we simply did not have the necessary movement in the final third to threaten a truly abysmal Reading. We picked the pace up second half and that changed everything.

Back