• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 0 Reading: The Verdict

Just got in. Very very happy after that.

Let's not kid ourselves - the first half was pretty but a bit toothless. But when we turned the afterburners on we were majestic. The third goal was insanely good, but the best bit of the night was the pass out to Costa (I think) with a couple of minutes to go. That gets converted and goal of the season is done. It was brilliant.

Atmosphere at times was quiet, but at others the roof was coming off the joint. Reading were appalling, and were put to the sword. No baby-eating, rape, or pillage as far as I know though.

Controversially, I’m going to stick my neck out and say if one of our ‘big’ players had to get injured, I’d have picked Jota (of course I’d prefer it if no one gets injured). He hasn’t been at his best for a number of weeks now so if it’s Cav, Benik/Leo & Costa/MGW for the remainder of the season, I’ll take that.

I don’t think losing Jota at this stage will have half the effect that, for example, losing Neves would have.

Hopefully it’s a minor injury and he’s back after the international break, but it’s not the end of the world.

I thought the ref was decent tonight. I think the booking for Bennett was because he'd got away with one earlier.
I said the same during the match. Great result.

What was the atmosphere like?

I thought that the atmosphere was good. Went a bit quiet for a bit after the Jota injury but once the goal went in normal order was restored. Credit to the Reading fan who kept some of the North Bank and Steve Bull entertained in the second half with his Magnus Pike like histrionics and the wild celebrations of them in injury time when they had their first attempt on goal.

Hard to pick a MOTM, so I'll give it to Doherty for his two goals to go with his overall excellent performance.

Not read anything yet on threads (just got back) had a few mind so contradictions invited.
I knew we were gonna be ok but this was not just ok
Doherty (even without the goals) and Costa best games of the season (maybe ever in Docs case) Bennett assured, Neves err just sublime, Cav tireless and so quick and skillful, Baz got forward better, Afobe was OKish, Boly imperious, Cody unruffled, Ruddy rarely used, Saiss unsung hero. You have got to love this performance, from the kick off you would not know we had just lost a big important match to a man with an enormous head. Nuno has got them prepared so well it was just a joy to behold.
We sure can make shit teams look shit.
And then the Villa lose <----- :emot-fuckoff:

crowd was pretty audible on the broadcast most of the game

great return to form. leo needs a goal.

Bennett is becoming a real favourite of mine, he's everything Batth wishes he was..

I agree with this, I like him too. Good to have him back tonight and on several occasions I said you don't get that from Batth, imagine Batth doing that.

Anyway, big win for us, all the better with Villa losing. Great to bounce back with such a convincing win. Hopefully more of the same on Saturday to take us into the international break on a high. Costa and Doherty were my stand outs and Bennett did very well on his return. Hopefully Jota's injury not too serious

Jota has posted a photo of his ankle on Instagram. Doesn’t look very good.

Bennett did really well by all accounts which is great to hear. When we signed him in the summer I thought we were wasting our time with him as he wasn't even at Batth's level so was backup to our backup - very happy to be proven wrong. Seldom puts a foot wrong compared to captain calamity and aimlessly hoofs the ball far, far less. If I told myself at the start of the season I would be desperately hoping Nuno brings on Ryan Bennett to sort out our defence during half time at Villa Park I would have thought I had gone mad.

Perfectly fine for this level and expect him to remain as our backup if we reach the Prem. Well done to whoever decided to sign him (Lambert?). Definitely better than Hanley, odd to think Norwich chose to release Bennett, and then spend actual money on that clogger as an 'improvement'.

Just got back home to south west London. Will post a full verdict tomorrow but safe to say that's about as comfortable a win as we've had all season. Reading were terrible and we dominated, upping the pace in the second half to clinical effect. Ruddy was a virtual spectator, the defence looked comfortable with Bennett in particular looking good, Doherty had his best ever game for wolves (no doubt as he had very little defending to do), Saiss and Neves ran the show and Costa and Cav were both excellent. An enjoyable evening and the atmosphere was great - not remotely nervy despite the first goal taking a while to come.

Lots of QPR fans on my train on the way home who couldn't believe they'd scored three away at the Villa. It's a funny old division this. Let's get out of it asap.

It absolutely boggles my mind that Reading were so useless. Aluko and Barrow are not scrubs at this level. They could easily have put pressure on our backline and they just... didn't. After the opening minutes they didn't even try to.

Just baffling tactics from Stam.

Didn’t really see what happened to Jota, it looked pretty innocuous when it happened, but from the way he was limping I reckon it’s ligament damage.

If Reading play like that for the rest of the season they are in real trouble. That was as comfortable an evening as we have had all season. Won without really getting out of 2nd or 3rd Gear. Some good stuff second half but it was a one way contest. Jota is a worry. An injury to him was always going to be. Lets hope its short term. Cottee on SSN was scathing of him " rolling over 6 times". The fact it ended his night meant he was in genuine pain! Reading were awful. Just awful. If all the teams due to visit us for the reast of the season play like that then we could beat them with the youth team. Stam has serious questions to answer.

Still, 3 points for us and the Villa fucked it up! Completely. 10 point gap unexpectedly restored, 9 games to go. Very much ours to throw away again now. Villa still have to go to Cardiff

Jota has more than a sprain looking at that photo, has happened to me many times over the years horribly painful. I will be surprised if we see him again this season, real shame and I feel like thats been coming for so long with virtually every team kicking lumps out of him.

If Reading play like that for the rest of the season they are in real trouble. That was as comfortable an evening as we have had all season. Won without really getting out of 2nd or 3rd Gear. Some good stuff second half but it was a one way contest. Jota is a worry. An injury to him was always going to be. Lets hope its short term. Cottee on SSN was scathing of him " rolling over 6 times". The fact it ended his night meant he was in genuine pain! Reading were awful. Just awful. If all the teams due to visit us for the reast of the season play like that then we could beat them with the youth team. Stam has serious questions to answer.

Still, 3 points for us and the Villa fucked it up! Completely. 10 point gap unexpectedly restored, 9 games to go. Very much ours to throw away again now. Villa still have to go to Cardiff
To be fair to Cottee I thought Jota was taking the piss when he rolled around like a cheese chaser in Gloucestershire. The challenge was a nothing one and it did initially look like he was acting up.

Back