• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 1 Bristol City - Verdict thread

For those at the game, did Dicko look like a striker that genuinely enjoys / suits being the one up top?

Yep. Has good strength to hold the ball up and was always looking to bring one of Henry, Jacobs & Evans into the game

Trouble is, people have this bizarre, outdated view that only playing 1 up front is somehow 'negative'. They see it as a flat 4-5-1. Whereas most weeks we actually play with 4 attackers - a forward and 3 AMs. Unfortuantely, some supporters can't seem to grasp this.

Trouble is, people have this bizarre, outdated view that only playing 1 up front is somehow 'negative'. They see it as a flat 4-5-1. Whereas most weeks we actually play with 4 attackers - a forward and 3 AMs. Unfortuantely, some supporters can't seem to grasp this.

I think that this formation is more attacking than a 442 if you have adaptable, mobile players to suit it. With the positive reports above on Dicko, I think we are an attacking midfielder short of having the combination of players to maximise the system.

I think that this formation is more attacking than a 442 if you have adaptable, mobile players to suit it

Yeah I agree, far more fluid too. It requires good, technical, and importantly quick players to work well. Which is what Jackett is gearing towards.

I think that this formation is more attacking than a 442 if you have adaptable, mobile players to suit it. With the positive reports above on Dicko, I think we are an attacking midfielder short of having the combination of players to maximise the system.

Still think Jacobs is best as the #10. No problem with Sako missing the last two as he wasn't performing, but him on the left (when he's playing properly), Henry on the right and then Jacobs behind Dicko/Griff is fine by me. It looks like the McGregor ship has well and truly sailed, and Scougall has gone elsewhere, so I think that's how we should go. Evans is a decent footballer but where he played today is not really his right role, I think he needs to be Price's backup/competition.

Yeah I agree, far more fluid too. It requires good, technical, and importantly quick players to work well. Which is what Jackett is gearing towards.

Absolutely, but it's the easy stick to beat the manager with. "One up front at home against bottom three League One team", etc etc. It's tiresome but it's the way many think.

I'm sure we were playing 4-6-0 at the start of the second half. Dicko was positioning himself wide left with no-one in the middle at all.
He looked good today. Plays in the shadow of the last defender looking for a quick break. Gives them something to think about, which is a welcome change.

Steve Cotterill in being a muppet shocker.

Unbelievable denial, the way he pictures it they should have won 10. I love the 'Another fullback in there area' Ower fullback Ricketts was camped in there half for most of the game. I really would be annoyed if I was a City fan on that interview, he thinks things are rosy at City and nothing should change. He needs to watch the game again he's mugging you lot off and himself.

Not really. We didn't miss him and he never looked like even warning up with any real intention to play. I think he's a gonner.

I don't think we can afford to let him go without having someone else come in, I expect him to be off if we do though.

Btw isn't a bit odd that Doherty is being brought back so slowly with lots of U21 games etc. whereas Price just went straight back into the first team and played 90 mins?

Ricketts is doing a grand job at right back, whereas Edwards plays like lunatic. The Price-Kmac partnership is cheap to us playing so well at the moment.

Btw isn't a bit odd that Doherty is being brought back so slowly with lots of U21 games etc. whereas Price just went straight back into the first team and played 90 mins?

Different types of injury I guess. Doherty's hamstring took longer to heal than expected so the medical team are clearly playing it safe with him.

Looking at the players we had on the bench, that is quite strong for league one. I am sure that KJ will try to sell or loan one of Doyle, Sako and Griffiths.

Looking at the players we had on the bench, that is quite strong for league one. I am sure that KJ will try to sell or loan one of Doyle, Sako and Griffiths.

Not something you'll hear a Wolves fan say but if they all show the desire and hunger as Sako did yesterday, we'll be laughing. I thought he looked really dangerous when he came on and Brizzle really struggled to contain him.

Playing for a move or not, when a player is out of favour and wants his place back, that's what I want to see from them.

Also encouraging to note is that Dicko's contribution meant that we didn't miss Griffiths at all.

He'll be missed if Dicko gets injured and we have to play Doyle instead. I don't have a problem with getting rid if we buy someone else who can properly challenge for the team and make an impact.

Also a nod today to the whiniest tosser I've ever sat next to - from the first minute going on about how we should have two up front, any time a cross came in and no-one getting on the end of it saying that we lacked height up front, claiming Sigurdarson had never been played up front, saying Dicko was a winger and not a striker - utter wanker. I don't mind people having such laughable views, such is life, but don't be a fucking loudmouth with it, you ruin it for everyone else. He wasn't even some kid either, he must have been early 50s at least.

Was that the guy sat next to the aisle?

by the way, mr loudmouth at the back of the north bank has been like a church mouse since I called him out as a complete buffoon. happy days

I've noticed that.

There was a twat sat a few seats to my right who constantly moaned about everything like a running commentary. Hadn't got a clue what he was on about either. He too was saying that it's 'never worked for us having a negative system with 1 up front'.

I haven't noticed him before.

Whilst very happy with the result and the goals, I just wish we would play with a bit more pace more often. When we play faster we look so much better. Sometimes I just want to run on the pitch and kick them up the arse to get them going!

Sako was excellent when he came on. If he played like that every match we would walk this division.

Back