• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Brentford 0 a standard day at Molineux this year verdict thread

Only grumble right now is the needless yellow cards Neves is picking up. Won't be long until he is picking up a 2 game ban for 10 yellows

I was half thinking he should have got a second at some point to nullify any league suspension. As I suspect he's unlikely to play Saturday anyway.

2:16 for Doherty's moment of magic

mQMOX3.gif

The ball across to him from Hause wasn't bad either!

Every time I see that second goal I love it more. A truly magnificent team move - and you only see the last bits there in the highlights. We ripped Brentford to bits in those few seconds.

Brentford came to Molineux and didn't sit back as others have done. They got forward at every opportunity and played some good football, yet lost 3 - 0. Which in a way vindicates the defensive tactics of Sunderland and a few others.

Every time I see that second goal I love it more. A truly magnificent team move - and you only see the last bits there in the highlights. We ripped Brentford to bits in those few seconds.
The highlight Wolves posted on Twitter has the complete move from the throw in.

That's why Smith was saying it was essentially from a set-piece. Though it's a bit of a stretch.

Which in a way vindicates the defensive tactics of Sunderland and a few others.

To a point, but if you go a goal down after four minutes (as Sunderland were very fortunate not to) then those tactics don't look so smart.

Most teams need points and you can't just play for a 0-0, no matter how much better we are than everyone else. If you simply defend against Man City then you'll lose 99 times out of 100. If you play like we did at the Etihad and Palace did the other day, whereby you're still offering your own threat even if you aren't continually pouring men forward, you might get a result. Teams used to make that mistake against Fergie's United for years, it's why Redknapp to name one had a truly laughable record at Old Trafford for a long time. Play more or less seven at the back, go 1-0 down early on, oops.

I'm waiting for a team to write off the game against us and drop their key players for a purported easier game.

That's the other tactic from the cowards playbook.

I love the ball-boy's reaction to that Doc flick. Sums it up perfectly :icon_lol:

Shout out to Hause for the pass leading to Doherty's flick. He's hit that first time and put it on a dime.

What I love about this team, from the comparatively little I've seen, is the speed with which they turn defence or midfield nothingness into attack. The running off the ball and the accuracy of the passing is truly brilliant. I'm not I've seen any team do it quite so well, definitely not at this level.

Sounds like we could and should have won by a very long way, which is very impressive against a good footballing team in strong form.

Cav is devastating atm, but I still feel his impact is always greater off the bench.
Don't agree Costa doesn't fit this formation either. Whilst I agree he would work better as an out and out winger, I can see him coming good in this formation. The only worry this season that appears totally missing from his game is his finishing. He showed last season this wasn't a problem, so it's about finding confidence. That said Dicko's finishing always was quite good and then he was injured and in was....rather poor. For a long time. So I hope Helder does rediscover it soon as he is the weakest performer atm and we can't carry that forever.
To clarify, I still think his all-round game is good, and he is offering a threat (maybe Bristol was an off game), but if he doesn't want to be replaced in the summer, he needs to start scoring again.

What I love about this team, from the comparatively little I've seen, is the speed with which they turn defence or midfield nothingness into attack. The running off the ball and the accuracy of the passing is truly brilliant. I'm not I've seen any team do it quite so well, definitely not at this level.

Add to this our ability to control the ball from all these passes. It's a simple but important thing. Our players are consistently cushioning the ball effectively, allowing them to move it on in the best possible way.

Back