• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 1-1 Wolves verdict thread

He can do that now though as he faces Scottish goalkeepers most weeks...

Doc's shot wasn't right at Leno, it was to his right, just not enough. It was a good height for an easy save. Along the ground and I reckon it would have snuck in due to him not being able to get down to it quick enough.

i have to agree, the biggest difference between last years doc and this year is that last year he had a knack for hitting it at an awkward/difficult angle at the keeper. probably had a very high shots/goals ratio, hes still getting in really good positions this year for both shots and headers, but seems to aiming everything close to the keeper.

He took it on his left foot and just tried to get a good connection on it. That invariably means that it’s going to go straight at (or near for bear) the keeper more often than not. If it had been on his right foot he might have tried to whip it keepers left or curl it keepers right. I was bit confused why he took it with his left Anyway when it came on perfectly to still it into the far corner on his right

Well, anything to avoid messing up a one on one I guess...

glad you're starting to remember those misses, Kenny. :whistle:

Thought we definitely deserved to win, but being 0-1 at half-time again didn't help.

Am a touch perplexed by 343 v 352 for us. 352 'should' make it easier to play through the middle, but we always seem more reliant on long diagonal balls from the back, but with 343 we seem to have more bodies in the middle of the park - presumably because all the front 3 come back to help.

Can't complain at only having lost 2 games so far, but we really need to stop conceding the first goal in every game. Too many draws is the difference between mid-table and European qualification.

glad you're starting to remember those misses, Kenny. :whistle:

Thought we definitely deserved to win, but being 0-1 at half-time again didn't help.

Am a touch perplexed by 343 v 352 for us. 352 'should' make it easier to play through the middle, but we always seem more reliant on long diagonal balls from the back, but with 343 we seem to have more bodies in the middle of the park - presumably because all the front 3 come back to help.

Can't complain at only having lost 2 games so far, but we really need to stop conceding the first goal in every game. Too many draws is the difference between mid-table and European qualification.

In the 3-4-3 we defend with 10 and Raul obviously comes and helps a bit. Where as in a 3-5-2 we are only defending with 9 as the two strikers stay relatively high.

I’ve said it for a while. The way we play 3-4-3 makes us more solidly defensively as we don’t leave ourselves so vulnerable to the counter (only one man in the middle of the pitch, and he’s not mobile) and also see’s us more threatening in an attacking sense as for 1 we have more players in the attacking third but also the inside forwards attract the attention of the full backs opening the width for wingbacks. It also allows Jota to get in between the lines and in the half spaces to pick the ball up and run at the defence.

For some reason when we were playing 3-5-2 it just ended up being 4-1-5 with Moutinho in the middle doing nothing and Neves hitting long Diagonals from CB to Donk and Doherty, then play got the second ball.

If we played the 3-5-2 in a similar way to how we play 3-4-3 (neves not dropping in to CB, other midfielders occupying spaces between the lines) then there probably wouldn’t be such a stark difference. But for some reason we don’t and I don’t know why. It probably doesn’t help that Donk isn’t an AM so isn’t comfortable receiving the ball facing the wrong way in tight spaces.

Plus I think Jonny and Doherty are tucking in more out of possession than they did last season, which protects the midfield 2 more

They do and the opposition are more scared of Adama and Jota now then they were last season so they drop players back to look after them which leaves more space in the middle for Neves and Moutinho.

Back