• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Championship Team of the Year

malta mick

Reaction score
Anyone seen the team selected ? Only Wolves player is Sako (Wolves play maker), and Friend gets in at left back !! We gave him away didn't we as 'not fit for the purpose' ?

Friend is well deserved at left back, he's been excellent in this division over the past couple of years.

It's a weird team actually, why is Sako at centre midfield and Pritchard on the left anyway? Hughes, Abdi, Johnson, Arter can all feel aggrieved and Martin and Keogh at centre back ahead of Ayala, Gibson, Cook, Berra is shocking!

who selects these players - the press or players themselves ?

I think this was PFA so players

Much like Vokes, Friend was unlucky to be here at a time when we couldn't very easily be giving loads of game time to inexperienced players.

we also had that Mulgrew guy who looked like he was playing with his laces tied together - he seemed to flourish once he left.

Trying to shoehorn a team of the year into a particular formation seems arbitrary to me. Why not just name the best player at each position? Sure, you can't make it look all nice, but it makes more sense to have more than 11 in a Best Of list than to put Sako at center mid.

Trying to shoehorn a team of the year into a particular formation seems arbitrary to me. Why not just name the best player at each position? Sure, you can't make it look all nice, but it makes more sense to have more than 11 in a Best Of list than to put Sako at center mid.
Its just a bit of fun, I doubt many people take it that seriously.

I imagine that footballers do. Isn't it considered an honour and something they can put on their CV?

Pick the best 4 defenders, best 4 midfielders and best 2 attackers. Simple. I think that is what they do an add nothing wrong with it

Just read in American media that Troy Deeney is the best all-around striker in the Champ. Thoughts?

Pick the best 4 defenders, best 4 midfielders and best 2 attackers. Simple. I think that is what they do an add nothing wrong with it

This

Just read in American media that Troy Deeney is the best all-around striker in the Champ. Thoughts?

I'd agree with that. He's been outstanding for Watford.

FWIW my team of the year

Gomes

Francis Ayala Berra Friend

Ritchie Johnson Arter Sako

Deeney Martin​

Ruddy
Francis Stearman BEM Mings
Ritchie Abdi Howson Sako
Deeney Ighalo​

Manga has been very dodgy for Cardiff, as has Stears at times for us.

I thought he was average to poor in a number of games pre Xmas and wasn't surprised when he was dropped. Tremendous between then and April and had a couple of bad games in the last month. That said his time out of the side coincided with our worse form of the season.

Back