• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cycling Thread

I read last night that Cav has been told he can leave Team Sky should he wish to become a lead rider for another team. Do you think he will want to?

He still won three stages so maybe not, but winning the green and yellow jerseys in one tour is a hell of a big ask unless your name is Merckx. Sky are going to concentrate on GC, and the sounds coming from the team are that Froome is staying to push on for that dynasty ambition, which makes sense when you consider Wiggins is 32.

Suppose it depends what he wants, if he is happy to win the odd stage and eventually hold the record of number of stage wins (but not win the green jersey ) then he may do. If anybody would be strong enough for going for the two jerseys it would be sky.

Froome may be looking to next year which according to a journalist I heard last night will be more mountainous. If thats the case with Contador and Andy Schleck back next year Sky may well see him as a better bet then Wigigns for competing with those two in the mountains.

Whats this sh1t regarding the next Tour De France starting in Yorkshire ???

It is 2014 that might have the grand depart in Yorkshire.

The first three stages are usually held outside France. There were three stages in Kent and Sussex in 1994.

Last years Tour was started in this country too I believe

Nope - 2011 started on an island just of the coast south of nantes. It has been to Ireland recently though

I'm sure there was a stage from London to Dover (somewhere like that) recently.

I could have dreamt this...

The prologue time trial was the first anniversary of the London bombings so it sticks in my mind a bit

Just to mention, Chris Froome is doing fantastically in the Vuelta. Really turning into a good battle with Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez and Co.

Part of me says "good". Another part of me that thoroughly enjoyed watching Armstrong during his period of domination feels cheated.

At least I can feel 100% confident that Wiggins and Froome are clean. Froome was awesome yesterday and I reckon he can win the Vuelta, even with Contador in the field.

He's claiming the USADA do not have the jurisdiction to bring the charges, he'll be relying on the UCI to back him up and discredit any sanctions they apply. There will probably be another generous grass roots donation along the way.

The Vuelta is shaping up nicely, 3 very good climbers with plenty of mountains to come.

One thing I don't like - time bonuses for stage wins.

Last edited:
Part of me says "good". Another part of me that thoroughly enjoyed watching Armstrong during his period of domination feels cheated.

I'm no expert on cycling paddy, ive followed all eth doping scandals etc over teh years though. How can you be so sure Wiggins and Froome are clean?

Wiggins is the most outspoken anti-drug cyclist ever. If he isn't clean then that would pretty much put the sport to bed. His reaction when his Cofidis team was ejected because one member was a possible doper was absolutely damning of the practice.

Brailsford's commitment when Team Sky was formed was "within 5 years we will have a clean British winner of the Tour de France". Having gone so public with that commitment, there is absolutely no way that any team member of Sky could have any chance of being anything other than clean - that is why they have never approached David Millar to join.

That's why I am confident in those two.

Regarding time bonuses for stage wins - they removed that from the Tour some years ago, and they should do it for the Vuelta as well, but at least you see the big guns going for places every time they are at the front on a stage rather than crossing the line together so maybe it has some merit.

I just read a thing that said Froomes only just finished a 6 month ban.

I would imagine Bradley doesnt have much choice taking his stance, all things considered. I don't think they will ever totally irradicate drug use.

Back