• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd] Brentford 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The extra game is a far bigger issue for them than us. Just seen both challenges, how to use zero common sense in both situations, Gillett has stuck to clear and obvious on both calls meaning you’ve got inconsistent and frankly manufactured situation.
Surely the challenge on Doyle is a clear and obvious mistake, he has to step in there?

Replay dates are scheduled for one of Tue/Wed/Thu next week.
Wonder if this close to the most we’ve played the same team in the shortest amount of time? With us playing them again on 10th Feb?

Scandalous refereeing, clearly. It’s repeating my match thread comment but why not, as it’s a weird archaic term that is genuinely appropriate - what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, so off he pops. Unless the ref is as bent as a gooseneck it seems.

How come there was no replay shown of the grab round Semedo's neck? Weird.

Surely the challenge on Doyle is a clear and obvious mistake, he has to step in there?
You’d think so but as I’ve said before “clear & obvious” gives the officials a cop out.
But you end up with a situation like tonight where inconsistent calls are made when they can easily be avoided. No doubt wankers like Dermot Gallagher will defend it.

Wonder if this close to the most we’ve played the same team in the shortest amount of time? With us playing them again on 10th Feb?

Pips Blues in 1996 I think

6 Jan
17 Jan
5 Mar
23 Mar

Reactions: SSB
Also I love a replay. It’s a week without a Wolves match that now has one. I don’t know why people don’t like that.

Not keen last season when we were in the midst of a relegation battle or in 2018/19 and 2019/20 when clearly we were on for a European spot through the league.

Not an issue this year on either front so no problem.

You’d think so but as I’ve said before “clear & obvious” gives the officials a cop out.
But you end up with a situation like tonight where inconsistent calls are made when they can easily be avoided. No doubt wankers like Dermot Gallagher will defend it.
I don't like the clear and obvious mantra but if you're going to use it and then have a situation like the Doyle one, you just look like a complete bellend.

Not keen last season when we were in the midst of a relegation battle or in 2018/19 and 2019/20 when clearly we were on for a European spot through the league.

Not an issue this year on either front so no problem.
Yes, fair enough. In the context of this season there is nothing to bemoan about a replay. It’s something to do on a Tuesday night.

As didn’t get chance to watch, what was Bueno like?
All 3 of the CBs played well, never really felt like Brentford had a clear cut chance despite the extra man. Toti impressed the most. Bueno is a bit one dimensional but today it didn't matter. Doc was out and out the worst in the back 5, just anonymous for large chunks of the game which was obvious at times.

Just on my way back across London.

This ref clearly thinks we dive too much. He gave us nothing, sometimes rightly but often scandalously. He wasn't even looking when Doyle was stamped on and was waving players away dismissively. And the VAR just backed him up. Why can't the best league in the world just invest in the world's best referees?

I thought we were the better team with 11 and also for the 10 minute spell after we scored (what a finish and what a reaction from the players).

We needed half time to come after the red as we were playing 5-4-0 and looked clueless. Second half, the shape was much better and it's no surprise that Neto looked a class above when he came on and really sparked us into action.

Very happy with the draw, with the team work ethic, and some standout performances from Cunha, Neto and Doyle.

Special mention for us lot in the crowd - unbelievable support throughout.

EDIT: oh, and Brentford were shit. Clueless going forward, shaky at the back, and their fans were dismal.

Genuinely surprised by the response of some on here to the red card, he stands on his achilles, it's not a stamp. I'm not a homer when it's comes to these things, but I think it's a scandalous decision. Otherwise a nothing game due to them being poor and us playing pretty much the whole match with 10. Great hit for the goal and deserved the draw.

A positive that the replay uses up one of the Gomes suspension games, but a negative it eats into the players break

Quel surprise Frank thinks Gomes' tackle was a red but the other wasn't 😂

Apparently Sa was taunting the home fans at the end? Anyone confirm/clarify?

Apparently Sa was taunting the home fans at the end? Anyone confirm/clarify?
Yeah he was just flapping his arms around at them and laughing. No big deal. They went for him after he and Maupay were pushing each other at a set play, and their only chant throughout the entire match was the "you're shit, ahh" thing that southern fans like to say to opposition goalkeepers.

Back