• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 4th Rnd] West Brom 0-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The game:

I think O'Neil deserves a lot of credit for that victory. We weren't great but we didn't have to be. We were pretty calm in possession and were patient enough, knowing gaps would open up on the counter.

I've been a bit worried by our lack of clean sheets this season, so to get 2 in a week away from home in difficult fixtures is excellent. Very impressed with Kilman and Dawson in particular.

As soon as we took the lead, I actually felt quite comfortable because Albion just don't have the quality required to break down a well organised PL defence. Sa also seems to have cut out the brain farts and looks a solid keeper.

I don't think we ever hit 2nd gear, we were sloppy at times but it didn't matter. The gap between the divisions is massive at the moment, and it's definitely the biggest gulf in quality - in our favour - I can remember in a BCD.

Off the pitch:

I don't give a fuck if it's Albion 'fans' to blame or some of our 'fans'. Any individual unable to control themselves during a fucking game of football - particularly in an area that seated kids FFS - deserves a lifetime ban and a prison sentence. Dickheads. This isn't about us v them, it's about acting like a decent human being.

Hopefully we won't play them again for a very very long time.

Considering they had a three man, apparently ‘combative’ midfield it didn’t really show either. They clearly earmarked our high wing backs as a weakness and tried to have most of their joy down the sides - but I can only remember Sa making one decent save. The corners they had largely came to nothing.
They had a couple of free headers in the first half they should have done better.

The moment I shit it most was when the ball was headed back across goal by Walace and Kilman did brilliantly.

There was one other shot in the last few mins too, that was about it.

I wouldn’t sit there but many places in the world have no home ends or away ends and fans just as passionate as any can sit amongst each other with peace and dignity. Maybe it is time for reflection than finger pointing.

I thought Michael Landon died 30 years ago.
I don’t mind an edge or bit of needle in a fixture just that so many ruin it

Sa also seems to have cut out the brain farts and looks a solid keeper.
This is him actually listening (or Banter Tony wasn't coaching him properly and just let him get on with whatever).

You get some keepers who have natural weaknesses in certain areas and it gets shown up, fundamentally most of Sa's game is quite good. Nearly all his errors (and there were loads) were from outright stupidity. Cut that out and you've got a good keeper.

Just got back which is crazy considering I live 10 miles away!

Nothing really to added to what’s been said regarding the trouble or the game.

But from the ground that tackle on Doyle from Wallace is an absolute shocker. The definition of “excessive force” and “endangering an opponent”. The referee was letting far too much stuff from them go in that second half which basically led to more of a tear where our players were then having to throw their weight around too. I couldn’t see if the Bartley one had any malice beyond “blocking him off because he’s beat me”. I get the ref didn’t want the game to be about him, but also making no decisions and allowing things to spill over (on the pitch) is not doing anyone any favours

The game:

I think O'Neil deserves a lot of credit for that victory. We weren't great but we didn't have to be. We were pretty calm in possession and were patient enough, knowing gaps would open up on the counter.

I've been a bit worried by our lack of clean sheets this season, so to get 2 in a week away from home in difficult fixtures is excellent. Very impressed with Kilman and Dawson in particular.

As soon as we took the lead, I actually felt quite comfortable because Albion just don't have the quality required to break down a well organised PL defence. Sa also seems to have cut out the brain farts and looks a solid keeper.

I don't think we ever hit 2nd gear, we were sloppy at times but it didn't matter. The gap between the divisions is massive at the moment, and it's definitely the biggest gulf in quality - in our favour - I can remember in a BCD.

The best thing we did was take the lead really. Had they got the first goal they would have sat back and we’d have struggled to break them down I think.

It’s probably the strongest team we’ve fielded in a BCD in some time. Both in confidence and quality. And the players handled it the best way not getting caught in the moment, whereas Albion’s players very much did

Think I’ll lose my shit if the crowd trouble gets called “unsavoury” again. Feels like such a tone deaf adjective for violence.

It’s probably the strongest team we’ve fielded in a BCD in some time. Both in confidence and quality. And the players handled it the best way not getting caught in the moment, whereas Albion’s players very much did
Think I mentioned in the week, we probably haven't been such strong favourites (given the 21/22 games were without Raul and his absence and the effects of it on our form were already blindingly obvious) for a game against these in about 25 years.

Relieved we won. Well done Wolves all round. A great win to get for a young manager in his first season in charge too.

Definitely won him a lot of plaudits with the fans for it and, potentially, given him a bit of breathing space when we hit a dip.

It’s the biggest gap in quality we’ve had over Albion that I can remember and it showed. Even in second gear we just had the better quality throughout the side.
We looked very much like a PL side doing a professional job on a side from a lower league.
Albion had moments but were just very huff & puff.

O'Neil is quite a composed guy but you could tell what today meant to him at the end. He was absolutely loving it!

I don’t think he has been like that at FT at any other point this season. He tried desperately hard not to celebrate either goal…

Some twat on the train platform with his 3 kids effing and blinding at the train staff because “dingles were allowed on the train”. Just want to go home… how else were you proposing I go?

Back