• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Giro d'Italia / Tour de France

Following on the bbc thread and they were asking if the bloke out front had stayed whether it would be the longest solo break. No they said, and cited Thierry Marie staying out for 240 odd k in 1991. Shame they completely forgot the best breakaway ever by Claudio Chiappucci into Sestriere in 1992. 256k stage and he was clear for just about 245k. Plus it went over 1 second cat, 3 first cat and finished on an hors cat into Sestriere itself.

Cavendish left fighting for stage wins, can't see him overhauling Sagan...

Froome takes the Yellow Jersey after winning todays stage

Last edited:
Just caught up, you're doing him an injustice...

He fucking smashed it! :)

Watching the highlights in about forty minutes. Looking forward to it

It could be a procession based on that stage. The Colombian looks good but it wasn't the right thing to do. First real test and I'm surprised nobody could stay with them this early. Great for Sky and Froome but not sure about the race as a competition this year.

I just hope he's listening to all the good advice at his disposal and not getting excited and ragging his own legs off. 2 weeks and lots of hills to go up yet.

5 climbs today in 140km followed by a 30km downhill finish. it'll be interesting to see who's ahead of or still around the yellow jersey for the final climb. after yesterday i'd imagine it could be a widespread field from the second climb onwards but certainly on the third.

Sooner or later someone will need to try to get away.

May not be today although probably a good opportunity for someone feeling strong and a rest day tomorrow?

Looks like a big day today already, with a few of the sky boys struggling after yesterday and being dropped plenty of attacks from the other teams, Froome is going to have to dig in.

Great ride from Froome today. It must have been as demotivating for his opponents as his attack yesterday.

good stage yesterday. i thought there'd be more attacks than there were but maybe the downhill 30km finish put a few off - or they just weren't strong enough. a bad day for sky but froome got through it and is looking very strong.

Looking very good for Froome now. Sprinters day tomorrow, followed by the individual time trial where he will be very strong compared to the GC rivals (bar Cadel Evans who is already over four minutes back). The next time that Froome is likely to be significantly threatened is on the slopes of the Ventoux.

Superb ride by Dan Martin, first Irish winner of a stage since his uncle Stephen in 92.

Fair play to Froome played it clever.

Heard Paul Kimmage on the radio this morning seems Froome will be getting a lot of shit from the media after his ride on Saturday, as his time was only 14 secs outside what Lance did the same climb in with his rocket fuel blood. (Said wont be the same as the blatant shit-stirring tactic they some quarters tried on Wiggins last year)

Superb ride by Dan Martin, first Irish winner of a stage since his uncle Stephen in 92.

Fair play to Froome played it clever.

Heard Paul Kimmage on the radio this morning seems Froome will be getting a lot of shit from the media after his ride on Saturday, as his time was only 14 secs outside what Lance did the same climb in with his rocket fuel blood. (Said wont be the same as the blatant shit-stirring tactic they some quarters tried on Wiggins last year)

I'll give you Dan Martin as Irish, Donegal (father from Tamworth, born in Birmingham, went to school in Tamworth mother is the sister of Stephen Roche), as we claim Chris Froome to be British.

Oh I know, funnily enough was going to put exactly that at the bottom of my last post (then forgot),

Has a strange Brummie with a touch of Irish and French accent.

Read a good interview with his father, seems him and Stephen are not the best of buddies.

In my Velogames fantasy team too, he's been having a very good season so thought he might have a crack at a stage win at some point.

Blimey cav was very defensive after that crash in the finish today. I think it was fifty fifty personally, but he needs to be careful

Watched it live but not seen him interviewed. what did he say? There was definite movement towards him though he was moving across too. Hopefully just be seen as an accident. It put him off as well but not sure he was getting there. Only tuned in at end to see him take the stage.

Back