• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield (A) build up 20/2/16

Just been to the ticket office to collect some tickets for Saturday, I was in a queue of 1, me.

However, if Ken recalled him and played him wide right for us he wouldn't be wasting his talent as much as leaving him to play wide right in a League One team. It will be crazy if we don't give him a go at any point between now and the end of the season with so many players out injured.

I hate to label players or pigeon hole them into set positions and look at Wallace thinking he would be best used playing across the front line using his intelligence to find holes in defences.

Jackett doesn't like creative number 10s - he likes whoever plays there to harry and chase opposition players to try and win the ball higher up the pitch, or to be running late into the box to try and get on the end of a cross if the striker misses it / hits it but it rebounds out or gets knocked down.

Both types have their advantages and disadvantages when used correctly, but I think under Jackett Wallace is always going to be seen as more of a winger (of the Henry kind) than a number 10.

Jackett doesn't like creative number 10s - he likes whoever plays there to harry and chase opposition players to try and win the ball higher up the pitch, or to be running late into the box to try and get on the end of a cross if the striker misses it / hits it but it rebounds out or gets knocked down.

Both types have their advantages and disadvantages when used correctly, but I think under Jackett Wallace is always going to be seen as more of a winger (of the Henry kind) than a number 10.

Not my preferred style of #10 but can see that working. However, Jackett just doesn't set up like this, he likes his #10 to be a runner but doesn't press the ball anywhere on the pitch, he tries to suck the opposition and get them to make a mistake rather than put a tackle in to win the ball. It's this kind of muddled nonsense that has us playing the worst football since Hoddle (and I include Saunders in that).

Not my preferred style of #10 but can see that working. However, Jackett just doesn't set up like this, he likes his #10 to be a runner but doesn't press the ball anywhere on the pitch, he tries to suck the opposition and get them to make a mistake rather than put a tackle in to win the ball. It's this kind of muddled nonsense that has us playing the worst football since Hoddle (and I include Saunders in that).

Surely the easiest way of making the opposition make a mistake is by taking away their time on the ball.

Yeah that's what I mean - we sit off the opposition across the pitch, with the exception of Edwards, who actively seeks out and tries to make himself a nuisance for the opposition's midfield and/or defence without actually pressing in the true sense. He's good at the running side of his game, as we all know, but isn't good enough in the tackle (nor actually fast enough a reader of the game to anticipate opposition passes) to "press" as much as just hope to be in the right place at the right time if somebody misplaces a pass, for example.

Surely the easiest way of making the opposition make a mistake is by taking away their time on the ball.

Preaching to the choir here LK. I think that's the case too. But when you look at Leicester and At Madrid they sit off, suck the teams on and then press the ball in their defensive third so they can isolate their speedy front players and wingers 1v1 against the generally slower defenders.

Problem is Jackett has built a team without any pace in the wide or front man so essentially he has to give the ball away every time as there is no pace in the side. I can't work out whether this is an exact plan from Jackett himself or a complete change of philosophy throughout the club as I haven't seen the youth/ reserve sides play for a long time. I really hope it's the former as that is dealt with easily.

He's now busy praising Coady on the official site. I despair, I really do.

Yeah that's what I mean - we sit off the opposition across the pitch, with the exception of Edwards, who actively seeks out and tries to make himself a nuisance for the opposition's midfield and/or defence without actually pressing in the true sense. He's good at the running side of his game, as we all know, but isn't good enough in the tackle (nor actually fast enough a reader of the game to anticipate opposition passes) to "press" as much as just hope to be in the right place at the right time if somebody misplaces a pass, for example.
I'm not a coach, but what I do know is that you have to press as a unit, one person doing it is pretty pointless. If the rest of the team pressed at the same time as Edwards he'd look less like a dog chasing a wasp, however as it is whoever he is chasing down has a number of options as the rest of our midfield sits off

Futile to even try guessing what the manager will do. Fitness permitting I'd go:

-------------------------------Martinez----------------------

Iorfa----------------Batth----------Williamson-----------Hause

Wallace------------Price-----------McDonald------------Byrne

-------------------Sigurdarson-----Mason-----------------------

Wallace has been playing wide right for Millwall and doing well by all accounts. In the absence of many other options we might as well give him a go, VLP doesn't deserve to keep the shirt after Saturday. In fact, even leaving that aside we might as well have a look at him, you could have three months here to see if he's really up to Championship football with no real penalty as we have nothing to play for, or we could make sure he is definitely good enough to play for Millwall in League One. Which one is more beneficial to us, I wonder.

Play a proper front two, again why not try something different to the formula which hasn't worked all season, Sig is no lone striker and nor is Mason if we try wanging the ball at his head. At least they might be able to link up if they're not stood 30 yards away from each other.

We can't stifle a team by sending out a defensively minded midfield so don't even bother.

2015/16: W 3-0 (H)
2014/15: L 1-3 (H), W 4-1 (A)
2012/13: L 1-3 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2000/1: L 0-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1999/0: L 0-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1998/9: D 2-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1997/8: D 1-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1996/7: D 0-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
1995/6: D 0-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)

Swap Byrne for Wallace and put Rowe on the left.

Just been to the ticket office to collect some tickets for Saturday, I was in a queue of 1, me.

Wish I'd read this earlier... My tickets are going to be sent down "on the coach" as I can't collect them from Molineux and only bought them today. I'm sure you'd have done me a favour and met me for a beer as payment Trev ;)

I didn't think you were going Mike! Nice one.

I didn't think you were going Mike! Nice one.

Decided to bring Alfie along to a local game as he won't be able to do the 'Boro game with the switch to Friday night

KJ has confirmed that Williamson will not be playing at Huddersfield. I thought he was meant to be back for the Preston game. I hope this is not another injury that will go on for weeks longer than expected.

KJ has confirmed that Williamson will not be playing at Huddersfield. I thought he was meant to be back for the Preston game. I hope this is not another injury that will go on for weeks longer than expected.
He is fit but needs a game, either for U21's or a friendly before he is put back in the 1st team. He hasn't played a game since November and hamstring injuries are a bitch for going again if the comeback is done wrong.

He is fit but needs a game, either for U21's or a friendly before he is put back in the 1st team. He hasn't played a game since November and hamstring injuries are a bitch for going again if the comeback is done wrong.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Has he been injured since November? I know Newcastle recalled him, but three months for a hamstring is a long time unless he tore it.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Has he been injured since November? I know Newcastle recalled him, but three months for a hamstring is a long time unless he tore it.
Injured pretty much as soon as put the Newcastle training gear on after his recall. Returned to light raining a few weeks ago and full training this week

Back