• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield (A) build up 20/2/16

Looking forward to the Magic Rock tap + post match drinks in York more than the football if I'm being honest.​

I strongly recommend that you visit the Grove too for pre-match warm up.​

Said six weeks when he got ruled out post-QPR - so I'd guess Bristol City/Blues is the earliest we'll see him.

While not defending the current regime, it must be said that we have had a lot of injuries this season. I may be mistaken, but in the last two seasons, where we did very well, we were rather fortunate on the injury front. So who knows what might have been if we had not lost vital players through injury during the course of this season.

It wouldn't have made any difference.

Injuries didn't force him to play football that makes the eyes bleed.

It wouldn't have made any difference.

Injuries didn't force him to play football that makes the eyes bleed.
To a degree I would say they have. For example, Dicko changes the way we play by how high up the field we defend. This was highlighted when he was last injured and we has to get by with alternatives - as such, our style of play changed.

When Dicko was fit in the opening three weeks of the season, we took him off at half time when we were winning in one game, dropped him for another and were playing Dave Edwards on the left wing throughout. The incomprehensible decisions and woeful performances - the QPR second half, all of the Cardiff game and the first 75 minutes vs Charlton were an abominable spell of football, genuine bottom end League Two stuff - were already happening to a degree before Dicko got injured.

Losing Graham was a big blow given his contributions to the team but lest we forget Ken didn't see fit to give him a single minute in the opening three and a bit months of the season.

Yeah injuries is no excuse. We were shit before. Same as we were shit with Afobe and are still shit. Shit with Stearman and still shit.

It's the way we are playing not who we are playing.

It has been done to death, but the sale of Stearman and not having enough experience in our defense has had a major impact on our season.

It has been done to death, but the sale of Stearman and not having enough experience in our defense has had a major impact on our season.

the only thing the Fulham defence has kept out for the last few weeks has been Stearman... ;)

Hause and EEL were doing okay. I would rather have them with Martinez behind them. £2M for Stearman was daylight robbery.

Hause and EEL were doing okay. I would rather have them with Martinez behind them. £2M for Stearman was daylight robbery.

Was far from 'daylight robbery', Derby paid more than that for Shackell.

We were never getting that money again for Stearman. Business wise it made sense, footballing wise (as all we spent the money on was a winger we never use) then it's debatable. I still say he would have made negligible difference, he isn't very good.

Our biggest issue all season defensively has been Ikeme, he has been diabolical.

Personally I don't think that's been the case Kenny's tactics & tinkering has been the catalyst for our poor season.

I don't think the Stearman sale has had that much of an impact, Kenny constantly changing 'keepers and defensive personnel has been the biggest issue.

We were never getting that money again for Stearman. Business wise it made sense, footballing wise (as all we spent the money on was a winger we never use) then it's debatable. I still say he would have made negligible difference, he isn't very good.

I agree. He's being made out to be far better than he actually is (Denes Rosa syndrome) due to our current frailties. I too don't think he'd have made much difference and totally understand why he was sold. And he can't get into a side who have conceded 11 more league goals than we have this season.

He hasn't really constantly changed keepers.

Ikeme started the season and let in a cack goal at Blackburn.

We signed Martinez who Ken openly said was here to play and he went into the team. He made two horrible errors vs QPR so got dropped.

Ikeme came back in and let in a shambolic goal at Cardiff, got given another chance then let in an even worse goal vs Charlton. He got dropped, Martinez kept the shirt until he got injured, he's only just got back and in the interim Ikeme has been shite but not been dropped as we've had no-one else credible or ready.

If you have two genuine keepers fighting for one spot then it is fair enough to fuck them off when they're performing like clowns. If Emi isn't staying then we need a new keeper as Ikeme has conclusively proven that we can't trust him, so many goals have been at least partially his fault and it's not like he's constantly peppered with shots like Hen was in 2011/12.

Our biggest issue all season defensively has been Ikeme, he has been diabolical.

I agree with the Ikeme part of your post, but with DB injured at the time, the lack of expeience and cover, was predicted at the time by many people.
There was no financial sense in selling an experienced central defender at the time, the inclusion of of an older central defender now, highlights one of of the major problems we have had since the sale of Stearman. Having such a weak defense influences the whole team and the way they play.

Back