• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Huddersfield (H) 03/10/15 Build Up Thread

Has to be Ojo, he will be confident after last night and champing at the bit to get out and continue his form.

Not starting him will only have a negative effect on his confidence.

Coady & Edwards available for the weekend. Yay! That's central midfield fucked again :D

Coady & Edwards available for the weekend. Yay! That's central midfield $#@!ed again :D

I think if Jackett changes the side that battered Fulham he's an idiot (I'm not including the changing of Ojo/ Byrne as that is the same side). Edwards nor Coady are better than the two we have playing at the moment.

He won't change the team for this one but I am concerned that he will find a way for Edwards to come back into the side. Despite us clearly doing better without him...

Quite obvious that Dangerous will come on with 10 minutes to go, and then keep the shirt for the following match.

Ken? Is that you?

To me Afobe is not a number 10, this is a vanity project, possibly pandering to the player's ego and it should end.

Dave Edwards is shite though, I would never pick him ahead of Afobe. If nothing else, should a chance fall to the number 10 then I fancy Afobe to do better than Dave's 1 attempt in 10 on target. Edwards is a shocking finisher all told.

To be honest, when you play Afobe there, you are just playing another striker. He played well on Tuesday and though I had some frustrations, he still was unlucky not to score.

That Edwards best position is in that role just shows how poor a footballer he is overall. It is the position, to me, that he is least of detriment to the team and even then he severely hurts our attacking play in possession. he runs around a lot, yes. He gets into the occasional good position, yes, but that's not enough (for me anyway).

Imo Afobe has always looked a far better player when he has licence to drift and attack from deep. He looks lost when he is forced to lead the line, and even more so when he is upfront on his own.

I think the perceived disinterest mentioned a few games ago was more due to him struggling to play more of an out and out striker role.

Afobe offers very little there and for me is a striker so play him there.

I agree. But Edwards offers very little as a 10. Zero creativity, no link play and limited goal threat.

I really would like a genuine Afobe-Alfie partnership. None of this dropping off nonsense. Benik didn't drop deep last season alongside Dicko.

Imo Afobe has always looked a far better player when he has licence to drift and attack from deep. He looks lost when he is forced to lead the line, and even more so when he is upfront on his own.

I think the perceived disinterest mentioned a few games ago was more due to him struggling to play more of an out and out striker role.

Looking back at the video of his MK Dons' goals pretty much everyone of them was Afobe going clear through when playing as an out and out striker, he had little to no involvement in the build up in any of the goals, he's your best finisher so you need him to be playing in a position where he can utilise that as often as possible, not wandering round complaining about being bored up top like Kevin Doyle.

His runs in behind are fantastic. Even on Tuesday that was his best feature in the game and on numerous occasions McDonald came close to putting him through with the ball behind the defence. He's got good technical ability, and when he drops in he protects the ball well and can turn and play forward but that doesn't mean we should play him deeper.

I worry with Benik that for someone so young we have given him A LOT of responsibility. A bit similar to Kane at Spurs, which can give the player a lot of confidence, and clearly does, but asks them to do things that they maybe aren't capable of yet or shouldn't be focusing on at this point in their career. Both of those have worn the captain's armband, I think that it can be a burden for so much to be expected of them, and forces them to try and take on more too soon.

The reason he was struggling up front on his own is because of the shit that was playing behind him

His best assets are his movement, intelligence and finishing so play him up front where those attributes are most valuable

The reason he was struggling up front on his own is because of the shit that was playing behind him

His best assets are his movement, intelligence and finishing so play him up front where those attributes are most valuable

Agreed. If the guys playing directly behind him can play like they did on Tuesday then he will get chances and he will score.

Get Afobe firing and I think we've got a formidable first XI for this division.

Thing about our team is the spine is very good.

Martinez/Ikeme

Batth and Hause

McDonald and price/Coady

Afobe and Le Fondre

Is very good for this level. Up front we are definitely light at the moment mind.

Thing about our team is the spine is very good.

Martinez/Ikeme

Batth and Hause

McDonald and price/Coady

Afobe and Le Fondre

Is very good for this level. Up front we are definitely light at the moment mind.

Plus one of the best young players outside the Premier League in Dom Iorfa. I've said all season that the players are quality, it's why I've been so critical of KJ. It shouldn't have been this hard to find 'the right mix' as he puts it.

I've still got high hopes for Jed. He's going to have to make an impact off the bench ala Ojo, but I certainly think he's capable.

Back