• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 1 - 0 Wolves: Verdict

No, but I have hit the one where I can really challenge you mongs that need to learn more about football before you post..
Fred, be as pissed as you like, talk as much shit as you like, but as someone who has told us before that you have a child with learning difficulties you really should leave that shit out

Fred, be as pissed as you like, talk as much shit as you like, but as someone who has told us before that you have a child with learning difficulties you really should levae that shit out
I know, its not as easy as you say though..but I will try...and i just dont talk shit right

3rd from last MOTD match I reckon.

Result aside it was fucking unreal being back in a full stadium, i knew i'd missed it a lot and i definitely felt it at kick off. The away end was bouncing and loud pretty much all game apart from the 5 minutes after Vardy scored. From the reading i've done i agree and disagree with bits that most have said but would 100% be more positive than pretty much everyone i think.

First half wasn't great but neither was it poor, we sat off them a little and both Neves and Moutinho were too deep so when we did win it back we just couldn't really get out at times. When we did we looked good and a threat again and should have been in front with Adama's chance, it's really fine margins and he's not done much wrong but it's probably cost us at least a point. Their goal while being a sublime finish and great movement was poor on our behalf, Marcal and Moutinho were both weak in the challenge and Coady was flat footed.

Second half was excellent imo, we pressed much higher and Leicester couldn't really get out of their half until they went 3 at the back with the subs, this enabled them to split our front 3 between the 3 centre backs and N'didi became free and was on for the short pass more often. We did create numerous chances though and with better decision making and more decisiveness i think we win the game.

Thought Bruno should have gone 4 at the back sooner than he did to stop that easy pass in to N'didi but i can understand why he didn't and we were still on top.

Referee was poor for me, lenient when Leicester players came in to contact with our players but as soon as it was the other way round it was a free kick, the Gibbs-White one being the worst.

Players wise i would say the following ..

Sa - No idea why anyone was worried about him, he did what he had to do, had no chance with the goal and was quick to come out to Vardy a few times when he got behind. I think he'll be just fine.

Kilman - Ok in the first half but did struggle with the ball on his right hand side but defended well. Started to bring the ball out more in the second half and looked really good in doing so. Possibly should have done better with either his 1-2 with Raul or his header but more promising than last year for me.

Coady - Really poor and i'm surprised more hasn't been said but it was quite obvious being at the game he just wasn't sure when to press and when to drop himself. Quite often in the first half the balls down the sides were on because Coady had dropped deeper than the rest of the back line. Looked really slow, caught flat footed for the goal though it was great movement and caught out 2 or 3 times in the second half too. Also too slow with the ball at his feet and turned down so many diagonals to Hoever in the first half it was unreal. I'd be looking at both a back 3 or 4 without him imo, it's ruthless but i think a "career" centre back is needed there for where we want to be.

Saiss - I thought he was very good to be honest. People's perception of him will always mean any praise is hard to come by but he barely put a foot wrong. Aggressive with his press, especially in the second half and looked to get the ball into good forward areas. He's not outstanding but he can still do a job.

Hoever - I came in to this season thinking Semedo was the only real choice in this position but Hoever has changed my mind in the last 2 weeks. We now have 2 good options at rb/rwb. Absolutely pocketed Barnes apart from once and then he got back anyway, got forward well too and linked with with Trincao. Actually stopped making some runs in the second half as the diagonal ball that was on wasn't being played. He's made big strides over the summer.

Marcal - He's ok but we need so much more from our lb/lwb. He's just not good enough with the ball and you would expect him to be much stronger in the challenge than he was for the goal. He got better as the game went on but for me Ait-Nouri is a better option.

Neves - He's seriously underrated now imo. Too good for the Championship, didn't adapt straight away to the Premier League and then hung out to dry imo last year so people think he's not as good as he should be but he is. Press is outstanding, always available and can make us tick when/if Bruno get's it right.

Moutinho - Much better than most of last season and covered the ground better than i thought he could these days and did well to set up Adama for the 1 on 1 but did tire and it's this position we need to upgrade. Glad i got to see him play in a Wolves shirt because he was different grade for that first year and a half but nowhere near those levels now. Don't mind if he's a bit part player but Bruno has to phase him out.

Trincao - Glimpses in the first half, sent Thomas to the shop once with a lovely reverse step over but became a real influence in the second half. With time i think he's going to be a very good signing and has that ability that left footers seem to to have to get it on that foot when it looks impossible. Need to be more confident and take shots on too.

Adama - I think the Adama debate will go on as long as he's here because he's both brilliant and frustrating. He's definitely a better footballer than when we signed him, he gets involved more and his runs are better but he still doesn't have the end product we wished he did but in saying that if he did i don't he would have ever left Barca. No one gets the chances he got most likely and didn't do much wrong but as i mentioned at the start it's small margins. His 1 on 1 goes the other side of the post or he plays Raul in late on and we come away with at least a point. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth though, if we aren't going to challenge for titles then i want to be entertained and while frustrating he's entertaining to watch. I saw some stat like he had more successful dribbles than 5 or 6 teams today.

Jimenez - Little bits showed he's not far off the old Raul, just struggling for a little match sharpness which will come. We've missed him and he's going to play a big part this season especially when we click in to what Bruno wants fully.

Subs - Dendoncker - Thought he gave us a little more than Joao was doing at the time, made tackles, kept the ball moving and seemed to be more inclined to foul players if they got the wrong side of him which i think he/we need to do more.

Gibbs-White - Didn't have much time but looked positive and who knows what he would have done had he been allowed to play on from his fair challenge that Mr Pawson thought was a foul late on. Would like us to go 4 at the back to allow him more game time in a central position to see if he can get somewhere near his potential.

Fabio didn't have enough time to do anything.

In summary while we lost, we didn't deserve to and if we can get the press on from the start and at the right times we're going to be fun to watch and also cause teams lots of problems and be better than most thought we would. I have seen enough from Bruno so far to definitely think he can do what he wants to do while also thinking he needs to still change a few things. Oh and i can't wait for a full Molineux next week, it's going to be some sight.

The Adama discussion will go long into the season and likely into the next 5. An enigma, equally as frustrating as breathtaking.
But as lage implied, if he wasn’t so erratic, he wouldn’t be playing for us.
Think we are still more threatening with him in the team

Agree with EP, frustrates the hell out of me often but there's not many players get your arse off the seat the way he does.
Very true. His one on one got my out of my chair in excitement, then anger. My heart can’t take the traore rollercoaster 🙃

I only saw the highlights so hard to know how we looked overall but I didn’t see too many chances for Leicester and Traore missed two golden opportunities. We’ve said it before but if he had an end product he’d be one of the best players in the world and wouldn’t be playing here! Did enjoy him flooring Vestergaard though.

In the end we lost to a pretty amazing goal, unbelievable finish from Vardy who just defies aging. Hopefully Lage can work out how to get this lot to actually play in the first half of games.

Please can we just leave the discussion about this now, i was a bit out of line yesterday and tried to semi-correct it since I didn't know the meaning of that word..this should be a nice forum when you can have different opinions without being head chopped..

Interesting game of football, that. Still some questions left unanswered, but it's day one. Few observations:

The suicidally high line that many were expecting didn't happen, even in the 2nd half when we were chasing, it was high without being mental.

Maybe it's because I was actively looking at the press, but we did seem to turn the ball over a lot more, but often made a bad decision in transition. Second half was clearly better on and off the ball, with a lot more intensity to the play, and we did create some threatening situations. I'd be really interested to see how the PPDA changes between the 1st and 2nd halves (@YoungWolf ?). Appreciate a lot of that will be down to Leicester's mentality shifting, but we certainly helped force that with a more aggressive performance.

I thought Kilman did well, particularly like him bringing the ball out, and I thought he defended pretty solidly by and large. Hoever did well against a really shrewd forward, too. Marcal...I just don't like him tbh. He's a momentum vacuum, and people clearly don't trust him on the ball. And he's just not good enough at defending to be that shit going forward, if that makes sense. I thought Neves was absolutely top drawer, that little left footed reverse through ball to Trincao was excellent, and he got about the pitch well. We desperately need a mobile partner for him, ideally one who can carry the ball imo, so we've got another way of progressing up the field.

Obviously wonderful to see Raul back on the pitch and competing; bit of rustiness is allowable, should probably have done better with one header though.

Adama. Oh, Adama. He's such a fucking talent, but it's forever going to add up to zilch for him. Once he'd got there (an act that was incredible in and of itself), it's the kind of chance that any AM/Forward should bury in their sleep. It's such a poor finish, failing to wrap his foot around it was terrible technique. Alternatively the dummy shot and dribbling left around the keeper was definitely on too. On the ball to Raul, I think he saw him - but didn't trust his technique with with either his left or the outside of his right. If he's going to play off the left - and I think that'll be his best postion - then that's something that he really, really needs to work on.

Bruno...set up was about the best he could do, with the possible swapping out of Moutino being up for debate I guess. I think he was a bit slow to react to the changing dynamic and Leiceter's change of formation though. As soon as Vestegaard came on we should have been 442. He did get a reaction out of the lads for the second half, and that was probably as well as we played for a year. Decent start, plenty still to come.

Fans - were absolutely top notch on my stream, Wolves fans were all I could hear. Hope yous all enjoyed your day out

Most of us were. The racist cunt stood next to me was a few notches below top though. Next person I see/hear booing the knee is getting a fucking slap.
I dont see the reason booing the knee, why they do that? To come out as a twat or something?

Most of us were. The racist cunt stood next to me was a few notches below top though. Next person I see/hear booing the knee is getting a fucking slap.
5pm Sunday August 22nd 2021
Lycan
Got kicked out of the South Bank today. Steward got to me just as I was about to slap the 7th person booing...

Back