• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (A) Part 2: build up

Match facts (from the BBC)

- Newcastle United and Wolves have never met in the 56-year history of the Football League Cup.

- Newcastle have not beaten Wolves in five domestic cup meetings since the FA Cup semi-final replay in 1951, when the Magpies went on to win at Wembley.

- Wolves have been knocked out by opposition from the same division for the last nine seasons.

- Wolves have lost their last three League Cup away ties, in which they have conceded 10 goals and failed to score themselves.

- This is Newcastle's fourth consecutive home game in the competition, of which they have won two and lost once.

Walter has been reported as saying that Wolves ran 119km during Saturdays game. 'A huge number'.

Could be an indicator he is going to make wholesale changes.

can't see why that guy thinks he'll keep the same side, and hate two references as both goalies being 'under the bar'

This bout of uber-negativity made me laugh on Newcastle's forum on the thread for tonight's game:

Can you be better prepared for an away game than they are? Beat the team on Saturday, no need to travel home and back, beat the team again on Tuesday.

0-7"

Positive mental attitude...

In the good old days, when we won two League Cups, played in 3 FA Cup semi finals, and finished in the top half of the old League 1, we simply played our best team each game. I don't remember Hibbit, Carr, Gray or Richards being "rested."

It's not a 27 man workers co-operative. We should leave squad rotation to Mourinho, and not wrap our best players in cotton wool.

Bloody right!
Today's pampered, overpaid played cannot compare with the 'real' footballers of yesteryear.

I have to say that I would play exactly the same players as Saturday.

Nothing better than a confident, winning team.

I have to say that I would play exactly the same players as Saturday.

Nothing better than a confident, winning team.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect the same players to play after putting in the effort they did on Saturday, and we need to keep them as fresh as possible for the next league game on Saturday.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect the same players to play after putting in the effort they did on Saturday, and we need to keep them as fresh as possible for the next league game on Saturday.

Agreed. Can lightning strike twice? I hope so but doubt it.

Changes & how many - only Walter knows. Much depends on how they have recovered having put a fair bit of effort into Saturday.

There is a reason the whole squad was taken up there so that there was a full range of options open.

Can see Texeira being replaced by Cavaleiro as the former didn't sound that effective on Saturday. Bodvarssen is integral to our play, but always seems to put his all into the game so can see him rested on the bench initially.

The other one might be Saiss (though given his performance would much rather he play) seeing as Sat was his first game & not sure how much recent football he has had apart from that.

In any event Newcastle won't be so stupid as to play the same way again & whatever we think of Benitez he's not an idiot & will be looking to pose us different problems to solve.

Weather looking a bit gloomy up here in Newcastle. I keep telling myself, this one doesn"t matter, but it always matters!

Weather looking a bit gloomy up here in Newcastle. I keep telling myself, this one doesn"t matter, but it always matters!

For me - win the Euro Lottery Friday night £100 million. Do you rip your National Lottery ticket up Saturday when you realise you've won £10 million

@THM we got stuck in traffic. I have your ticket and we're heading to St James's now

Back