• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (A) Part 2: build up

Dicko is in the U23 squad tonight so he won't be involved.

Slight rotation but I don't want wholesale. Silvio and Cavaleiro to start.

I agree, we should give a chance to those that didn't play on Saturday.

We have three quick league games coming up Sat-Tues-Sat before another International break, so Walter needs to manage his squad.

In the good old days, when we won two League Cups, played in 3 FA Cup semi finals, and finished in the top half of the old League 1, we simply played our best team each game. I don't remember Hibbit, Carr, Gray or Richards being "rested."

It's not a 27 man workers co-operative. We should leave squad rotation to Mourinho, and not wrap our best players in cotton wool.

You can't compare eras like that. The game has moved on immeasurably in 20 years let alone 40.

It's absolutely laughable to do so, really. The physical demands of the game are hugely different.

If you teleported the Cullis-era team to 2016 and played them against your average PL team - hell, maybe even your average Championship team - then they'd most likely get played off the park. Players have to jump higher and run faster, for longer periods, than ever before, and that doesn't even get into the fact that the base level of technical ability is much higher now as well.

(Of course, there's no doubting the natural talent of players of previous eras - if you teleported them to 2016 and then gave them a couple of months of modern fitness training and diets, and cut out the cigarettes and booze, they'd be able to keep up again.)

I don't think it'd be hugely different. After all they still have to run up and down the pitch for 90 mins, so stamina wise I don't think they'd have trouble lasting the full game. Though certain positions like full-back they may struggle more as they have to both attack and defend in the modern game.

Technically, tactically and talent wise though they'd get played off the park.

They'd get mullered fitness wise. The pace of the game is higher (at all professional levels, in England anyway) by such a ridiculous factor that they'd be blowing out of their arses after 20 minutes. I'm sure they could physically stay on the pitch for 90 minutes but they wouldn't be getting anywhere near the ball.

Look at the shape the likes of Ronaldo and Zlatan are in FFS!

Yeah but not so long ago you also had Fat Ronaldo.

How does Akinfenwa keep up with the modern game, or lardarses like him? There's still plenty around.

I don't see it personally. They look after themselves better nowadays certainly but the 70s lads would soon catch up after a summer of proper eating and a full pre-season.

Akinfemwa isn't lard arse. He's absolute stacked! Yeah way too muscly for football, that's why he can't run and has been playing in the lower leagues most his career when he probably had the ability to play higher if he wasn't so into bodybuilding.

I don't see it personally. They look after themselves better nowadays certainly but the 70s lads would soon catch up after a summer of proper eating and a full pre-season.

Yeah, as covered above. They would be ok if they dedicated themselves to it, anyone who isn't physically impaired can get themselves as fit as they want to. But that wasn't the point, the point was why can't you have a squad of 16 that plays 50+ games a season any more, and furthermore if you teleported them back as was and inserted them directly into the modern game then they'd be nowhere near, regardless of ability.

Not at all. The distance run between the 70's and now has changed from an average of 8.5Km to 10.5KM but that isn't the biggest change it is the intensity of exercise and duration of that intensity that has changed. Players have to go into the high intensity range (90% max power) for longer and more often and this is where the big difference is. The players of the 70's just couldn't do it as their physiology wouldn't be close.

Coupled to this advances in stretching, height and physicality (Theirry Henry at 6'1 and running the 100 in sub 11s) there is no comparison between eras.

It is also the reason that players would find it tough to do a full 46 game season as their body's would be operating at a high intensity for too long so increasing the risk of injury.

The fitness levels these days are so far ahead of the 70's it's unreal, the pace of the game is so quick now compared to then. However i do think tiredness is an easy excuse sometimes used by both managers and players.

On the team i would like to see a few changes and players like Silvio, John and Cavaleiro to play, Batth or Iorfa have to play centre back with Hause imo as Stearman is cup tied. I would go:

-----------------Lonergan------------------

Doherty-----Batth-------Hause--------Silvio

-------------------Coady----------------

-----------Price--------------Saville

John-------------Gladon-------------Cavaleiro

I think that's a fairly realistic team - Hause and Batth in the middle at the back in particular, Hause is due a game. However, I think we might see Silvio LB, CBJ RB, give Doherty a rest - he's played almost every game now hasn't he?

Also think Price and Coady will be tasked with doing what Oniangue and Saiss did on Saturday, sitting in front of the back four and doing the tidy work while the front three are tasked as pure attackers, the advanced of the midfielders being someone who's going to run around a lot to cover the ground between the two groups.

Newcastle appealing the red card. Thought it was a little bit harsh but there's no way they'll get that overturned.

I'd love to have the time to go up again. But with a holiday looming felt it wise to reign in the pennies.

The game itself is totally different now to what it was up to probably as late as the 70's. If a modern day team had to play a 1950's team using 1950's rules, there would be no need for the 1950's team to run much after the first 20 minutes because the modern day players would be lying around broken into pieces. :)

......................Lonergan
Coady........Batth........Hause.......Silvio
...............Edwards......Saville
Wallace.............Mason..............Cavaleiro
.......................Gladon

Subs: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa, CBJ, Teixeira, John, Bodvarsson

Left out or rested: Stears, Saiss, Price, Oniangue, Helder Costa.

Slink is right, Stears can't play. Played both of Fulham's games in the competition.

Back