• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR (H) 19/8 Build Up

Not many positives = Winning goal v Blackburn and what could easily have been the winning goal against Hull. He's been as much of a goal threat as Dicko so far this season. That's enough to keep him in the team for now until Ojo starts producing something from off the bench.

I'm not going to credit him for sort of getting in the position to not score from one yard :icon_lol:

Well done Dave for punching one in at Ewood Park though, have a 10 game run in the team.

That's a completely different debate though, we are clearly going to be playing this narrow formation and so Edwards is a better option than Ojo imo. He's probably not as comfortable on the ball but he has good movement and his closing down and work rate when we aren't in possession is vital.

When it comes to this formation i'm not entirely sold on it either for many reasons but then i'm not totally against it either as i can see a way of playing it that would enable us to keep playing Dicko and Afobe and still have a threat from central midfield while not being wide open in there.

I can't see that we've signed Ojo to play as anything other than an orthodox winger or part of a front three so I'm not convinced Ken is completely wedded to this system and we'll playing it for any length of time. Early signs are that Coady and McDonald will be fine as a standard two in this league, especially in home games.

Dicko has one goal in the cup and has missed a few chances against Hull. He didn't really do much against Blackburn. Considering he's a striker and it's his job to score and create chances then by your own criteria he deserves dropping just as much if not more than Edwards.

I can't see that we've signed Ojo to play as anything other than an orthodox winger or part of a front three so I'm not convinced Ken is completely wedded to this system and we'll playing it for any length of time. Early signs are that Coady and McDonald will be fine as a standard two in this league, especially in home games.
I agree, and decent early form for Edwards is giving him the chance to ease Ojo into it without putting too much pressure on him post-Sako.

You're right he isn't, it's not clear where he's playing or what his role is. Other then to run around and make runs into the area (late or otherwise).

I'm with DW I wish this myth of Edwards creating space was nipped in the bud as it's rubbish, he doesn't at all. Running off the ball is not creating space (not aimed at you Slink).

Well his role is a narrow left sided midfielder when we have the ball who gets into pockets of space and makes runs into the box and then when we don't have the ball it is too get back into shape and press on the opponents right if they go down that side. Obviously it doesn't help that he isn't great on the ball and doesn't get involved as often as you would like a midfielder playing in that position to but he does make good late runs into the box and is a threat, he also then has the work rate and energy to get back into his defensive position when we lose it.

Would i prefer to have someone in the side with better technique yet just as much work rate of course i would but i don't see who that is right now and if we are sticking to this formation then Edwards is the best option whether people like it or not. If we go back to wingers then obviously Ojo or VLP are better options but then i think we will be leaving bigger spaces for other teams to exploit in central midfield.

Dicko has one goal in the cup and has missed a few chances against Hull. He didn't really do much against Blackburn. Considering he's a striker and it's his job to score and create chances then by your own criteria he deserves dropping just as much if not more than Edwards.

Well not really as I don't make team suggestions on a game by game basis, discounting all history and what we know about each player every single week. It's pretty clear what Dicko brings to the team and it's not like he had a bad game against Hull.

Aguero missed a load of chances for City on Sunday, had he not managed to knock one in the end I don't think Pellegrini would have dropped him for next week.

Well his role is a narrow left sided midfielder when we have the ball who gets into pockets of space and makes runs into the box and then when we don't have the ball it is too get back into shape and press on the opponents right if they go down that side. Obviously it doesn't help that he isn't great on the ball and doesn't get involved as often as you would like a midfielder playing in that position to but he does make good late runs into the box and is a threat, he also then has the work rate and energy to get back into his defensive position when we lose it.

Would i prefer to have someone in the side with better technique yet just as much work rate of course i would but i don't see who that is right now and if we are sticking to this formation then Edwards is the best option whether people like it or not. If we go back to wingers then obviously Ojo or VLP are better options but then i think we will be leaving bigger spaces for other teams to exploit in central midfield.

I can't disagree that's what is supposed to happen Slink but if you watch Edwards game he can't do any of what you are suggesting other than run around. He was very much on the wrong side defensively on Sunday and he presses the right full back but to little effect.

I thought Coady/ McD and Golbourne covered very well for when Edwards went missing. And as for the runs, the prinicipal is sound but Davies and Dawson were only ever in trouble when they got beat physically or with sharp movement from Afobe or Dicko. When either forward went wide Dawson and Davies just passed them on to the full back and it was then the full back that was in trouble. Edwards didn't drag anybody out of position on Sunday.

But I do agree it isn't Edwards fault he is playing there and I think Wallace/ Ojo will be a far better option to do that role (although I think we'll be 4-2-3-1).

No, Dicko was out wide swinging it in for Edwards to score... Edit: and Henry on Sunday for that matter.

Edwards in the wide role leads the strikers to coming wider and or deeper, he is central and drifts but his finishing needs to be exceptional if we're going to sacrifice the overall effectiveness of both strikers in accommodating him.

I can't disagree that's what is supposed to happen Slink but if you watch Edwards game he can't do any of what you are suggesting other than run around. He was very much on the wrong side defensively on Sunday and he presses the right full back but to little effect.

I thought Coady/ McD and Golbourne covered very well for when Edwards went missing. And as for the runs, the prinicipal is sound but Davies and Dawson were only ever in trouble when they got beat physically or with sharp movement from Afobe or Dicko. When either forward went wide Dawson and Davies just passed them on to the full back and it was then the full back that was in trouble. Edwards didn't drag anybody out of position on Sunday.

But I do agree it isn't Edwards fault he is playing there and I think Wallace/ Ojo will be a far better option to do that role (although I think we'll be 4-2-3-1).

I think you're being a bit harsh on him to be honest although in the first half there were a couple of times he was caught out of position pressing but then that's up to others to then rotate and cover. I don't think he's pressing because he just wants to, he's obviously in the side for it but sometimes he does do it when where isn't any need. On the flip side he is usually the one who does do it when it's needed and nicks the ball back for us and he did this a few times on Sunday too.

There were a couple of times he would have been through on Sunday too had the ball been better when he made a run between Robertson and Davies. Obviously the main problem with Edwards is that he doesn't get involved in the build up as much as he should and when he does he sometimes slows it down or takes a loose touch particularly in tight areas but like i said right now he's the best option for this formation.

Andy Sinton @AndySintonQPR ·

Looking forward to going back to my old club @OfficialWolves tonight with @QPRFC. Fingers crossed for a positive result for #QPR

Lets give Richard Stearman a big cheer tonight if he is captain. Its the first time in his career that he has been captain in a match on his birthday . South Bank sing him happy birthday? I will listen out for it.!

Out of Office on for the afternoon. Time to enjoy a few beers and the footie.

"QPR look dogdirt at the moment, and we should be winning this"
""They can come off and have a rest if we're two or three up after an hour"
"We'll be all over QPR if we play like we did yesterday"
"As for him being worth his place against good teams, QPR are not a good team"

Sorry, my mistake then. I thought some were underestimating them.

:neer_neer:

Well, thankfully you guys were right and we didn't need to be on our guard against this dog dirt of a team.

I'll make sure I pay attention to you in future.

Back