• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Shrewsbury 2 - 2 Wolves: The Verdict

Europa League place will go down to 8th if two different clubs in the top 6 win the two cups.

Don't think so, we only get three Europa League spots. Or two if someone (United, won't happen) finishes outside the top four and wins the Champions League.

Top four = CL
5th = EL
League Cup = City or Chelsea, knocks it down to 6th
FA Cup = City, Spurs, Chelsea or United, knocks it down to 7th

Yes you're right. For some reason I thought 5th and 6th qualified. Also I just read that there can only be 7 teams from one country qualify for Europe.

I'm not saying we won't, we also buy players and throw them straight in. But what do you aim for as an extra forward?
Hard to say. Someone who would back themselves as better than Jota and Raúl, I suppose.

just finished the game... woof. glad we pulled out the tie but that was much harder than it needed to be

- continuing to struggle to get shots on target. neves, dendocker, costa, traore, doherty all skying decent chances in the first half. I think at one point we had like 10 shots and 1 on target?
- continuing to have bouts of sloppy/lazy play against lesser competition, would've won 3-2 if we were playing at Camp Nou
- continuing to bang our heads against the wall doing the same useless things over and over, slow to make adjustments
---- through balls to traore nonstop, despite wind conditions, none connect
---- goal kicking to traore, who doesn't trap a single ball I don't think, constant immediate loss of possession
- as I said in the build-up thread, Traore should never be played as a forward. terrible first half, kept doing the same 1 dimensional thing getting nowhere. much better in 2nd on right.
- costa... terrible.
- if we're gonna play two up top cav needs to be the backup
- would bonatini have done any worse in the first half??
- disappointing to see MGW continuing his bad run
- neves should've bossed this game. did not.
- raul was an immediate impact, need another forward

looking forward to us playing a strong team in the replay and moving on.

Yes you're right. For some reason I thought 5th and 6th qualified. Also I just read that there can only be 7 teams from one country qualify for Europe.

Yeah, people assume 6th does it because it almost always does - because a big team normally wins the League Cup. Swansea are the last team to finish outside the top six and win it and that was six years ago.

This is why it's bollocks when people moan about our teams in the early rounds and say "it's a real chance for mid-table teams to go for a trophy". The chances are about the same in both cups (not very good) and I know which one out of the two I'd rather go for - plus by January you know where you are and what your priorities are, you don't necessarily know that in August and September.

Don't think so, we only get three Europa League spots. Or two if someone (United, won't happen) finishes outside the top four and wins the Champions League.

Top four = CL
5th = EL
League Cup = City or Chelsea, knocks it down to 6th
FA Cup = City, Spurs, Chelsea or United, knocks it down to 7th

What happens if English clubs win the EL and CL?

What happens if English clubs win the EL and CL?

We have protected against this by sending Arsenal who aren't winning shit.

I think if you had this table:

Liverpool
City
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
United

United won the CL and Chelsea won the EL, Arsenal would drop back into the EL despite their league position. You can only have five teams in the CL. Then it'd just be 7th or the FA Cup winners (if they haven't finished in the top six) to take the second EL spot.

No. Seventh loses it. CL winner goes into CL (if not already qualified) Europa League winner into the CL (if not already qualified). So then (assuming the winners of those trophies finished outside the top seven (yeah - like that would happen) then Top Two in the league get CL, as do these two winners of European trophies. 3rd (if a different team) gets into the CL as a country can have a maximum of five in the CL. Then 4th and 5th would be in the Europa. Of course, if third, fourth and fifth had other qualification then the Europa qualification can drop to sixth and seventh.

We have protected against this by sending Arsenal who aren't winning shit.

I think if you had this table:

Liverpool
City
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
United

United won the CL and Chelsea won the EL, Arsenal would drop back into the EL despite their league position. You can only have five teams in the CL. Then it'd just be 7th or the FA Cup winners (if they haven't finished in the top six) to take the second EL spot.

In the hack of my mind wasn't there clarification and changes after Liverpool won it and then finished d 6th?

No. Seventh loses it. CL winner goes into CL (if not already qualified) Europa League winner into the CL (if not already qualified). So then (assuming the winners of those trophies finished outside the top seven (yeah - like that would happen) then Top Two in the league get CL, as do these two winners of European trophies. 3rd (if a different team) gets into the CL as a country can have a maximum of five in the CL. Then 4th and 5th would be in the Europa. Of course, if third, fourth and fifth had other qualification then the Europa qualification can drop to sixth and seventh.

source.gif

In the hack of my mind wasn't there clarification and changes after Liverpool won it and then finished d 6th?

They changed all that for that specific year with back of a fag packet stuff as Liverpool were moaning, it's changed at least once, maybe more since (especially as Europa League winners now get a CL spot).

The important thing is that we can only have 4+3 or 5+2 going through per year. We'll never have eight teams so if you finish 8th and don't win a cup then you aren't qualifying.

They changed all that for that specific year with back of a fag packet stuff as Liverpool were moaning, it's changed at least once, maybe more since (especially as Europa League winners now get a CL spot).

The important thing is that we can only have 4+3 or 5+2 going through per year. We'll never have eight teams so if you finish 8th and don't win a cup then you aren't qualifying.

Yep. Agreed. I knew it was 7. Also I think , I may be wrong, that the winners of the Europa league get the option to defend their trophy or to into the champions league?

Don't think you get the choice. No-one is going to pick the EL anyway! Even if you get 0 points in the CL then you absolutely coin it in.

Don't think you get the choice. No-one is going to pick the EL anyway! Even if you get 0 points in the CL then you absolutely coin it in.

Ok. It maybe just my memory. Liverpool winning back in 2005 and not qualifying started the debate about a teams right to defend a cup they had won.

Absolutely not now. Win the Europa,and you are into the group stages of the CL

Seriously, no more talk about Europa unless we beat Shrewsbury!

Back