• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I think Semedo and Ait Nouri are excellent additions. I also like the look of Hoever and Marcal is great cover as well. So I am very happy indeed with the work carried out on the defence.

Further forward I have a few concerns. If Hoever quickly becomes a regular at RCB and we swap sides for Boly then it frees up Saiss to be an extra option in midfield. Without that we are definitely relying quite a bit on Vitinha and he is totally unproven, although highly regarded.

Up top Jota wasn’t seeing as much game time due to Podence and Neto so to cash in for a very decent fee made sense even if it saddened me at the time. The huge question mark seems to be whether Fabio can step up to the mark if Raul were to pick up a significant knock. It’s a risk, even if we believe there is a generational talent there.

So defence better, not sure about midfield, one proper concern about up front. However finding another striker to sit as a backup and block Fabio would also have been pointless.

The key for scoring the window seems to be the development of Vitinha and Fabio.

I was formulating an entry for this thread when I read this from Paddy.

It says most of what I wanted to say and hope Nuno can gel the squad into a successful group.

Some interesting assessments of our window, cheers chaps.

What’s perhaps most interesting, is I would also score it 7/10. Meaning more or less everyone agrees on the score and where we are. Puts all those arguments and debates throughout the transfer window in to perspective now. Maybe we weren’t all a million miles away in terms of hopes & expectations after all!

Personally I think we’ll see the best of this squad in a couple of seasons and it’s going to be tricky to keep punching at the level we have been without more Nuno magic and a bit of luck. We could finish 6th just as easy as we could finish 16th based on what we’ve seen this season so far.

Interesting outsider perspective on the BBC:

"Boro fan, am I the only one who thinks Wolves had the most interesting window?
Signed the best of Europe's young players: Silva, Vitinho (regarded as the next Moutinho) and Ait-Nouri.
Nuno and Jimenez new contracts, Adama next.
Might take a year or so to adapt without Jota and Doherty but looks like a good Dortmundesque strategy. Good luck to them.
Robin, Teeside."

I wouldn't say that we've had the best window in the league by any stretch, but calling it the most interesting seems fair enough to me.

We also had an ex-Dortmund player as our manager for a bit, though he doesn't like to talk about that part of his career.

Some interesting assessments of our window, cheers chaps.

What’s perhaps most interesting, is I would also score it 7/10. Meaning more or less everyone agrees on the score and where we are. Puts all those arguments and debates throughout the transfer window in to perspective now. Maybe we weren’t all a million miles away in terms of hopes & expectations after all!

Personally I think we’ll see the best of this squad in a couple of seasons and it’s going to be tricky to keep punching at the level we have been without more Nuno magic and a bit of luck. We could finish 6th just as easy as we could finish 16th based on what we’ve seen this season so far.

I think this means we can leave the £50 and a packet of crisps jokes to die in this thread then?

I think this means we can leave the £50 and a packet of crisps jokes to die in this thread then?

I didn't even post it on the forum, mate. I guess people thought lifting something I had (jokingly) said on another platform and then using it as a stick to beat me with on here, would be hilarious.

Happy to let that one die in this thread, as you say.

I didn't even post it on the forum, mate..

Yeah, you did.

Anyway, as you know the "joke" will die but every now and again it will reappear because that is the law in Internetland

For the record I'm pretty sure we did want Maitland-Niles, but not as a RWB. We've been pretty clear that Semedo was the #1 target there right from the start.

I think we saw him as able to cover LWB while Jonny is out and later on play in CM. However it doesn't seem like he wants to leave Arsenal so long as they keep giving him reasonable game time, and we don't agree with their valuation, so that's that for now.

Marçal was lined up way before we actually signed him (we had to spend a while getting his work permit as Brazil have never capped him) so seems that Vinagre was always on the way out. No idea if Ait-Nouri was one we'd have done anyway. I'm glad we have though from the limited look I've had of him.

Bit absurd to question their trophy success when Bayern is the 300-pound gorilla in the room, working to far larger budgets that Dortmund are even able to daydream about and with the entire system stacked in their favour.

Trophies be damned, Dortmund is an enormous success story, and I'd be delighted if we even came close to emulating them.

I agree!

Agreed that the squad is improved more so than the starting 11. Excited about the young 'uns but it will be a couple of seasons before they really flourish and sometimes you do have to take a step back to take a leap forward.

At the same time I think we have overpaid for both KJH and Silva, but that's not my problem. Also the law of averages suggests that at least one of the teenagers will prove a relative failure. Silva is not gold, I hope that changes but it might not. And if it doesn't then Uncle Jorge will find a solution. Hopefully KJH develops into our RCB or Coady replacement and I think we will know within a few months just how good (or not) he is likely to become.

If three of the four kids are in our starting 11 in 3 years time I will be very happy.

Back