• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Techy Stuff Help!

This has probably been done before, but have Amazon Prime membership, and want to watch Amazon Video on a Smart TV - how do I do it?

Just signed up for their free trial today. I guess if your TV has a browser you could use that, but TV browsers seem to be such a faff. Personally I'll just be hooking my laptop up to the TV (I use a cable but I expect you can Chromecast), same as for any other internet-only stuff.

This has probably been done before, but have Amazon Prime membership, and want to watch Amazon Video on a Smart TV - how do I do it?
Install the Prime app from the content store on your TV. Log in. Done.

I get some weird sound issues with Amazon app on our Samsung TV, weird electronic beeps keep happening after so long so I have to shut it down and open it again to get rid of it. Mainly in movies, series seem OK for the most part from what I remember.

Have you already got a mic and speakers? Most webcams will have a mic, but unlikely to have speakers. Something like this will be fine:

Dericam High Definition Webcam, HD Computer Camera, 2 megapixel 1080P, Desktop and Laptop USB Camera, Plug and Play, Video Calling, Live Streaming, Built-in Mic, Flexible Rotatable Clip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FNFFKNR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v2aZEbK7V3EYQ

Windows 7 might be an issue, assume you are going to use Skype?

Thanks for this - this is what I bought. First Zoom meeting with my sons on Father's day was worth the cost on it's own :icon_smile:

How easy is it to do a voice recording on my phone?
Been asked to record some things for a podcast, but need to record my bit on my phone. it's a nokia plus one (i think).

Any modern phone will have a voice recorder, it's just a case of how long you can make the clips.

Is it for housecoats.co.uk ?

Android too, so you could just get an app.

It can get a bit tiring holding a phone up - if you have a headset use that.

A podcast on housecoats through the ages.

Episode 1: Did the TV show Bread help create awareness that the word Housecoat was still used.

Any modern phone will have a voice recorder, it's just a case of how long you can make the clips.

Is it for housecoats.co.uk ?

This has to be an omen...

BaFDZeQ.png

Is Fast and Easy how your wife describes you?

On my Android phone there is an app called "Recorder" which will record for however long you have space on your phone.

It automatically records all my phone calls too, which could come in useful.

A podcast on housecoats through the ages.

Episode 1: Did the TV show Bread help create awareness that the word Housecoat was still used.

Greetings.

We talk about Bread far more often on here than should be the case. Rather that than the Liver Birds, mind.

How easy is it to do a voice recording on my phone?
Been asked to record some things for a podcast, but need to record my bit on my phone. it's a nokia plus one (i think).

Easy to do as people say, most phones these days ship with voice recorder apps built in, and those that don't can just download one. Or you can download one anyway, if you want one with more features.

As someone who often has to do what I call a budget tape sync - asking people to record stuff for podcasts using their phones if they don't have a dedicated mic - then my advice is to:

a) Hold the phone like you would if you were doing a phone call. The mics are designed to pick voices up best that way, after all.
b) Do a practice just to check if it's recording normally, or if it's acting more like a dictaphone that would be used to pick up multiple voices in a larger space (as a phone mic does when you do a speakerphone call). If it does act that way, and you hold the phone next to your face to record, then it might come out sounding loud and clipped.

Advice for/against a laptop or a Chromebook please. Used for general web browsing, my wife's documents, holiday photos etc. Needs to be fiendishly simple to use as Mrs Wombat is decidedly lacking in IT literacy.

We've got one which just hangs around in the sitting room - kids and wife use it as needed. Works well for what it needs to do - not too keen on it myself as it feels a bit cheap (its metal though), that might be because i've been spoilt by my work laptop tho.

Its this one we have:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2250858?clickSR=slp:term:acer chromebook 14:1:15:1

Survived 3 years of being mistreated with zero problems, quite nice not having to worry about virus / malware etc. Can use Android apps too if needed (they're usually shite though). Not having a backlit keyboard is the most annoying thing. RDP / VNC works well if you want to do something more demanding from the settee.

That's also in my considerations TBF. As long as it's quick (the current donkey of a device takes minutes to get up to speed) and easy to use.

Chromebooks are fine as long as your wife understands that everything is stored in Google drive and not the machine itself, and you cant really run more than one tab at a time so if she likes having YT on in the background, that wont work and theres no music player installed on it.

Back