• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Techy Stuff Help!

I always thought it was a cloud based client like Hotmail or something, didn't realise it was a downloadable local client. Good to know if anyone ever needs it.

I would think from what Roy says that it would fit his needs fine. I know I can configure it to pick up my emails if I really wanted it to.

I would think from what Roy says that it would fit his needs fine. I know I can configure it to pick up my emails if I really wanted it to.

It certainly would suit him for his emails but he needs Powerpoint as well and there's no getting round paying for that. Like I say, I don't know what Open Office is like (or if it even includes a version of Powerpoint) but I know its files are compatible with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel). I'll have to have a look into it.

EDIT: It looks like it does have some form of presentation program in there. Open Office

I've used Open Office before, it's ok if a lot less polished than Microsoft's version and like anything has its own little quirks and foibles that you need to get used to. My major issue with it was that it tended to fuck up the formatting in Word documents when I was adding comments and corrections to a piece. As quite a large part of my income comes from proofreading this presented quite a significant issue. Obviously since I got this laptop with MS Office included I haven't had cause to check if they've fixed that, possibly so given that one of the default options now is to save in *.odt formats.

As I never use Powerpoint or anything like that I haven't looked at the Open Office equivalent (there is one included in their suite) and wouldn't know if it's any good.

Roy will just have to stump up the hundred shitters for Office 2010.

Office 2013 is available here for £90.

Doubtless there are places offering it even cheaper than that, physical versions of it aren't sold in Europe so as long as the product key actually works then you should have no worries, it doesn't need to be from a retailer you recognise. Of course how the cheapest places acquired these product keys may not be strictly double legal, it depends how much you care about that kind of thing and how much you like sticking it to The Man.

I'd get 2010 over 2013, loads easier to use and doesn't look like a 7 year old designed it.

I'd get 2010 over 2013, loads easier to use and doesn't look like a 7 year old designed it.

£70 here for 2010.

I do think Microsoft take the piss with their prices for Office software, having rubbed out competition in the late 90s and now having by far the most prevalent products on the market (how many people use "Excel" as shorthand for "spreadsheet") they think they can charge whatever they want, as it's something that people need. I have no doubt that if they'd managed to engineer a situation whereby the vast majority of people could only access the web via Internet Explorer* they'd charge for that as well.

*Urgh, I just shuddered at that thought.

Google Docs has presentation software that will convert ppt files.

Ah, I hadn't really considered Google Docs as an alternative. I've only really used it to backup all my stuff and obviously when using the shared spreadsheets we have in PTG (which work fine, I assume the occasional lag on them is down to the complexity and scale of the data involved?).

Yeah, way too much data being processed in the PTG spreadsheets. Would be much better as a database application, but that isn't really my area of expertise. Neither it's fantasy football it would seem!
Google docs is fine for basic documents, spreadsheets, presentations etc. We use it in school as the sharing and collaboration features are brilliant.

Check if your DVD device is showing in device manager,if so check device status,right click on device,select properties,select the general tab.
If this error is showing or something similar with a "code 19"
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Try deleting the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entries.
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one.
Close Registry Editor and restart windows.

I'll give this a try when I get back tonight as reinstalling them didn't seem to work. Cheers.

My turn

I need to rip a couple of songs off about 100 CDs, make a couple of playlists and then burn them onto CDs. What format do I need to rip into, in order to get them burning onto normal CDs for playing through what seems a fairly old HiFI (not just MP3 file playing cd players). Memory tells me it’s .wav, but I’m not sure.

I’m using windows media player, and .wav won’t play back through it, but will hopefully burn to CD without problems. Or should I use a different (free!) software?

Incredibly annoyed to learn that my wedding venue won’t support an MP3 player/iPod, so everything has to be on CD!

Also need to find a way to burn a couple of tracks from YouTube to a CD (and also be able to edit them on some other software that you’re about to recommend)

Ta x

Regular CDs are indeed in .wav

When you select a media YouTube converter Del, AVOID anything in the list that throws up Conduit or if you see Conduit, immediately throw lighter fluid then a match into your computer, throw the burning wreck out the window, run down get in your car and drive over it several times.

But there are some good safe YouTube converters. Machin gave me an ok one especially if you don't want the movie stuff just the audio.
He's a very nice man.

Check out what all your music on Windows Media Player is in, then when you convert your downloaded stuff, choose that from the drop down list.

I'll give this a try when I get back tonight as reinstalling them didn't seem to work. Cheers.

Before I tried the Booz Fix, I tried reinstalling again and bizarrely, it seemed to work this time. Well, my PC and iTunes recognised the CD which it didn't before, my lovelt John Bramwell Live at The Trades CD is now on my iPod so all is good again I think.

Before I tried the Booz Fix, I tried reinstalling again and bizarrely, it seemed to work this time. Well, my PC and iTunes recognised the CD which it didn't before, my lovelt John Bramwell Live at The Trades CD is now on my iPod so all is good again I think.

Glad you got it sorted mate. If you have that problem again just give that method a go, it's tried and tested multiple times.

Glad you got it sorted mate. If you have that problem again just give that method a go, it's tried and tested multiple times.

Will do mate - thanks! Knew there was a plus side to posting on a forum of uber-nerds.

Back