• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Techy Stuff Help!

Wakerlink.jpg

I have been downloading a load of CD's to my new phone (it's a Samsung so I use their Kies software) but a few of the albums just copy all fuzzy and distorted. I have had this before with my old phone and my old iPod and I just presume that some record companies do something to the CD to stop you making copies? Is there a way around this?

Rip the CDs in mp3 format through Media Player first, then move them to the phone.

Yeah just drag and drop them by plugging your phone into the PC and browsing to the music folder. Don't use that Kies rubbish.

Don't know about anyone else, but that Samsung Kies thing does my head in!
When I turn the PC off at night I always have to wait to shut it down manually. Last thing... Kies!
Pain in the arse!

Just drag and drop pictures and music.

Uninstall it. It's bloatware, a resource hog and completely unnecessary.

Anyone disabled IPv6? - I've never had a problem before but my network rendering software (Backburner, an element of Autodesk 3DS Max) is completely borked at the moment and it seems that it (might be) trying to connect via this method rather than IPv4. Microsoft doesn't recommend it but it seems as though this is the only option I have left.

Can't help you there mate sorry, I'm absolutely gash with networking.

It's not something I really want to do but there's no functionality whatsoever so this is the only option I've got. The 'helpdesk' has suggested loads of things which are either inappropriate or irrelevant and this is pretty much as far as we can go by the looks of it (I will say that this potential solution was suggested early on in the case but I disregarded it because I didn't want to piss about with Windows); the only other option is using something like Deadline which is mind-bendingly complex for what it is and, having managed to get it set up, neither intuitive to set up or actually get working, the help sections are like trying to read Aramaic.

Without knowing how the rest of your network is set up but presuming you are sat on a private network with a firewall and router in between you and the internet, you should be fine to disable ip6.

Machin: I am indeed. Hardwired to the router and I have Comodo as a firewall and Avira antivirus (plus Malwarebytes and Spybot).

FDS: It's possibly worth a look but I am on the 2014 version; the tutorial I've been linked to says that unticking boxes doesn't go deep enough though so it will be trial and error at best.

The only thing that could go wrong is if there are some internal services that need ip6. Windows HomeGroup is one of them and probably the reason why ip6 is enabled on Windows 7 by default.

I have a 'homegroup' set up but my render node uses a network path (\\(computer name)\folder\folder...etc...) so I think it should be OK?

As long as the correct permissions are set up on the share then you should be ok.

Just had my computer re-formatted due to a serious crash. I now have windows 8.1 and google chrome so 2 techy questions (answers in idiot speak please)

on the start up page on 8.1 i clicked on the box that said mail, it opened and filled the screen giving me nowhere to click to get back out of it, close it or an arrow to go to previous page, if i am dumb enough to do this again how do i get out of it, and get the page to go away, without literally unplugging the computer (which i had to do to get started all over again)

With Google chrome, can i bookmark pages? and if so....how?

remember idiot speak please gents

P.S> i can't find the solitaire or mah jong games anywhere are they there?

To bookmark in Chrome you just click the star in the address bar. So if you like a site, click that and you're away.

Can't help you on the mail, I have always found Windows' integrated email systems to be more trouble than they're worth.

to close anything on windows 8, take the cursor into the bottom left hand corner of the screen. That should allow you to return to the desktop.

Back