• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Techy Stuff Help!

If you click and drag and application from the top-middle downwards, that will close it.

Just had my computer re-formatted due to a serious crash. I now have windows 8.1 and google chrome so 2 techy questions (answers in idiot speak please)

on the start up page on 8.1 i clicked on the box that said mail, it opened and filled the screen giving me nowhere to click to get back out of it, close it or an arrow to go to previous page, if i am dumb enough to do this again how do i get out of it, and get the page to go away, without literally unplugging the computer (which i had to do to get started all over again)

With Google chrome, can i bookmark pages? and if so....how?

remember idiot speak please gents

P.S> i can't find the solitaire or mah jong games anywhere are they there?

To close pretty much any Windows app, hit Alt+F4.

ha ha thanks chaps, i didn't want to use the mail, i was just being nosey, clicked on mail and this big blue screen filled my screen, with no link on how to make it go away, trust me , i won't be hitting it again, but thanks in case i do, and thanks for the idiot instructions, ha ha i actually understood.

My pc appears to not be allowing anything to connect via the usb port.
I'll probably just turnitoffandonagain.com in a mo, but anyone got any idea as to why this might be happening?

I've 2 usb ports at the front, & 1 at the back, & none of them are working. Tried flash drives, & also connecting my mp3 player.

Weirdly, it seems 1 flash drive, when only half plugged in is getting power, as its light is on, but the device isn't connecting as I'm getting no icon, & am not getting to view any files either?

My pc appears to not be allowing anything to connect via the usb port.
I'll probably just turnitoffandonagain.com in a mo, but anyone got any idea as to why this might be happening?

I've 2 usb ports at the front, & 1 at the back, & none of them are working. Tried flash drives, & also connecting my mp3 player.

Weirdly, it seems 1 flash drive, when only half plugged in is getting power, as its light is on, but the device isn't connecting as I'm getting no icon, & am not getting to view any files either?

In my opinion and experience USB ports are susceptible to damage. This can be mechanically or electrically by for instance an electrostatic discharge. I've designed a few USB devices and there is only so much you can expect from a low cost consumer technology especially if you are making/breaking the connection frequently.

I'd be surprised if all the ports are broken at the same time.

Have a look in the device manager for anything being reported as not working - chances are one of the USB controller has not started correctly. If it is this unplug all the USB devices and right click the failed one and choose 'uninstall'

When this has finished right click again and choose 'scan for new hardware' it should find the faulty one and reinstall the drives - sometimes this kicks it back in to life.

I'd be surprised if all the ports are broken at the same time.

Have a look in the device manager for anything being reported as not working - chances are one of the USB controller has not started correctly. If it is this unplug all the USB devices and right click the failed one and choose 'uninstall'

When this has finished right click again and choose 'scan for new hardware' it should find the faulty one and reinstall the drives - sometimes this kicks it back in to life.
+1..dont think all are broke

An electrostatic discharge event could take a lot with it, it is the nature of the beast. Having said that, such things are rare.

But since the ports on the front and back will be on different headers it would likely take the whole motherboard out too

A chipset driver update may be needed. LJ can you post up the specs of your computer? The motherboard is the main thing I'm after, if you don't know just put up the make and model and I'll have a look.

Cheers Booz, I'll do so when at home.

I did uninstall all the usb's. It worked for a while, but then when charging my mp3 the mp3 player froze & I couldn't disconnect it!
I just left it overnight & prayed it worked in the morning, which it did.

dunno whether this is what you're after Booz,
Its a zoostorm running windows 8.1.
Processor is intel pentium cpu g2030 @g.00 ghz
64 g operating system x64 based processor

I'd need to know the model of the Zoostorm mate. If you don't know what it download Speccy and run it, then give me the motherboard details.

Anyone good at Windows 7?

On XP, I used the 'insert' key to paste stuff I'd copied or pasted. I set that up in general commands.
Where is all that stuff now on W7?
Can't see it in the Control Panel. I know you can do Control + V or something, but 'Insert' was just so easy and fast.
Anyone know this?

Highlight it then Control + C to copy and Control + V to paste it.

Yeah, I get that Wanderer, but I'd rather just hit the 'Insert' key, if I knew where to activate the damned thing....

Oh sorry, completely misunderstood that. I don't think there is one on W7, I could be wrong though.

Oh sorry, completely misunderstood that. I don't think there is one on W7, I could be wrong though.

Not a bother.
It's on my key board... the same keyboard I used when I had XP.
I just can't find where to go to set it up!
Windows 7 has hidden it or buried it in some mad section...

I know I can use 'Control+V' though, so thanks for that.

Back