• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Car Thread

This thread does remind me of reading ‘Top Tips’ from Viz in about 1987 when someone wrote;

“Avoid the stress and cost of finding your perfect registration. Change your name to E482 UAV instead”
Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate.

Mr KVL 74IY, Lincoln.

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate.

Mr KVL 74IY, Lincoln.
Impressive Mr L.

Googled or from your private collection?

I’m looking at those and clearly missing the joke on both. Ah it’s changing your name. It’s late. I’m tired. Etc etc

I’m suddenly very self-conscious about the utter lack of meaning in US plate codes.

I’m suddenly very self-conscious about the utter lack of meaning in US plate codes.
funny-license-plates-17-5c9ddc146b54a__605.jpg

Impressive Mr L.

Googled or from your private collection?
From my 'favourites' list

If only those had happened by random chance, now that would have been something.

Dunno if this basically the same as the “private plates” referred to a few pages back, but most states allow for what are called Vanity Plates. Basically, you pick whatever 4, 6, or 7 character (state/affiliation dependent) code you want as long as it’s still unique, and you pay the state something like $50/yr (again, that will vary by state) for the privilege.

I really should watch Smokey & The Bandit at some point. Never one of my dad’s favorites. More of a private investigator show guy. Simon & Simon, Rockford, Magnum, etc.

I really should watch Smoky & The Bandit at some point. Never one of my dad’s favorites. More of a private investigator show guy. Simon & Simon, Rockford, Magnum, etc.
I do love it seeing Boit tearing up the deep south in his Pontiac Trans Am with all the power under the hood. Love a bit of Clint too, relaxing on a Friday night with a bit of Dirty Harry.

Growing up many of the shows we loved were American - Magnum, CHiPs, Incredible Hulk, Dukes Of Hazzard, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, the list is endless!

I really should watch Smokey & The Bandit at some point. Never one of my dad’s favorites. More of a private investigator show guy. Simon & Simon, Rockford, Magnum, etc.
Your Dad was a wise man (y)

Growing up many of the shows we loved were American - Magnum, CHiPs, Incredible Hulk, Dukes Of Hazzard, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, the list is endless!
I bloody loved Knight Rider. I'm not sure if I want to find out how well it has aged...

A big A-Team fan too. Even if B. A. Baracus was a dumb fuck for getting tricked into getting on a plane every week.

I bloody loved Knight Rider. I'm not sure if I want to find out how well it has aged...

A big A-Team fan too. Even if B. A. Baracus was a dumb fuck for getting tricked into getting on a plane every week.
Its on Legend pretty much every night if you're curious (my suggestion would to not be).

I ain't gettin on no plane

Here, have some milk...

Traore is like a footballing BA

Northern Ireland plates all have a 'Z' in their 3 letters.
But down here in the south, we have a really good system.
They are issued sequentially by the local council.
So Dublin is 'D'
Galway is 'G'
Cork is 'C'
The rest of the bigger towns are first letter and last.
So, Waterford would be 132 WD 6758
(132 being 2nd half of 2013 (1st 6 months would be 131) WaterforD then 6758 would tell you it was the 6,758th car to be registered in the 2 half of the year in Waterford. So the bigger the number, the later (or newer) it is.
But you can't buy the plate. If you really wanted 111MH111 you'd have to offer the owner a shit load of cash to drive a car made in early 2011 registered in Meath.
Oh and it runs from Jan to Dec.
2nd edit: Oh and because it's Ireland there are one or two exceptions.
Wexford is WX (Cause WD is already taken), and because Limerick is such a long county, LS is Limerick South and LN is Limerick North.

Last edited:
Also in Ireland they have a standard font, dead plain, nothing fancy with a - in between the letters and numbers. so to use the Previous example; 132-WD-6758.
Officially you can be stopped by the cops if you have anything else.
Though they rarely bother with all the cutbacks. If you got stopped for speeding, I daresay they'd add that to the list of stuff.
I found a company in Galway who are happy to use the German font whilst issuing a disclaimer telling you it's illegal and for 'Exhibition use only'. But for an extra fiver, they'll print your club logo on the plate before applying the plastic covering.
So I've got a nice Wolves logo before 202 MH...

I do love it seeing Boit tearing up the deep south in his Pontiac Trans Am with all the power under the hood. Love a bit of Clint too, relaxing on a Friday night with a bit of Dirty Harry.

M + M, H Days, but particularly CHiPs. Loved seeing the big old cars which seemed a fantasy world away from our Morris Marinas and Austin Maxis.

I hate globalisation sometimes. One of the biggest disappointments of a trip to New York nowadays is the loss of the yellow checker cab. Those things should have been a protected species. Call me a dinosaur but I’d take a trip across town in a checker cab over the misery of one in a Toyota Prius any day.

I’m often surprised by this forum, thought the piss would be taken over the number plate chart I put up, instead the threads turned into a load of people sitting in a village pub beer garden in the sun chatting about number plates and old tv memories type thing.
Sign of a good forum I suppose that threads are allowed to go off track occasionally without an admin going Oi get back on track

Back