• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once with the girls. Pretty bad mistake, by the time I realised it wasn’t for them the jumping on butt plugs scene had scuppered any opportunity I had of saving them. I was scarred. Mad film.
Jesus Boozad! Just how the fuck did you explain to your girls what a butt Plug was?

I have no idea either! T'was a failed attempt at humour...

Sycophantia clearly meant Booz and his daughter explaining things to each other when he said 'the other way round' and I tried to turn it around and suggest he meant the plug. Giving myself a 'whoosh' there as I must have misread the room.

Totally missed that there was a Luther film. It looks interesting if a bit shark-jumpy.

Luther does Batman. Several sharks were barrel rolled, some were surf boarded, at least one was water boarded. And it was all ace.

I liked Bullet Train, albeit I thought it had one or two too many characters diluting the plot.

Allelujah - Not a sequel to 24 hour party people and definitely one to be avoided. If you are tempted to view anything surrounding folk coming to the end of their days, the Alzheimers ads currently doing the rounds on TV and Radio are far more thought provoking/moving.

The Luther film started off ridiculous and got even less believable as it carried on. It was still a decent watch, but you have to turn off that part of your brain that says "that'd never happen" or you'll get annoyed.

I watched Grown Ups last night, having never seen it before - not sure how it completely passed me by. Adam Sandler really can't act can he? He's the kind of guy that I reckon would be an arse in real life too. Maybe I'm being harsh. He's probably a lovely bloke!

Anyway, there were a couple of amusing moments but mainly it seemed like they'd come up with loads of ideas, smashed it all together and churned a film out at the end. It was fine from the perspective I wanted something to watch without having to give much thought to it. Not sure I'll watch Grown Ups 2...

Adam Sandler is a terrific actor when he wants to be. Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems, Reign Over Me. All brilliant performances.

For his daft stuff he just phones it in.

THe problem Samdler has is he's best remembered for cheesy Netfix offerings as opposed to being thought of as a creditable 'Oscar' nominee.

Tetris - enjoyable stuff from Matthew Vaughn and Taron Egerton. The sound track and feel is excellent.

If any of it is remotely close to the truth then Russia was one dark place.

There is a car chase in there which feels wildly out of place no matter how 80's game it's supposed to be.

Tetris - enjoyable stuff from Matthew Vaughn and Taron Egerton. The sound track and feel is excellent.

If any of it is remotely close to the truth then Russia was one dark place.

There is a car chase in there which feels wildly out of place no matter how 80's game it's supposed to be.
Watched it at the weekend and then tried to read up on it afterwards.

As with any movie, some of the truth expanded and twisted to make the movie more interesting. The KGB stuff was essentially bollocks, but was the kind of thing that went on at the time and the power they had. The guy that gave Henk Rogers the contract knew what he was doing and played the 3 groups until he got the right deal and also worked out the Maxwell's were cunts (Robert Maxwell did fly into meet Gorbachev to try and get him to hand him the deal for nothing)

The guy who invented it didn't get anything really from the game until 1996 when the licensing deals ran out. He got a job in Seattle, I think with Spectrum, off the back of it. When the licensing ran out he became the owner of the game again and then started a company with Henk.

Watched it at the weekend and then tried to read up on it afterwards.

As with any movie, some of the truth expanded and twisted to make the movie more interesting. The KGB stuff was essentially bollocks, but was the kind of thing that went on at the time and the power they had. The guy that gave Henk Rogers the contract knew what he was doing and played the 3 groups until he got the right deal and also worked out the Maxwell's were cunts (Robert Maxwell did fly into meet Gorbachev to try and get him to hand him the deal for nothing)

The guy who invented it didn't get anything really from the game until 1996 when the licensing deals ran out. He got a job in Seattle, I think with Spectrum, off the back of it. When the licensing ran out he became the owner of the game again and then started a company with Henk.
The acting was superb, Roger Allam as Maxwell was top class.

Back