• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

I’ve never watched The Wire either, I’ll have to give that a look at some point.

Have you seen The Shield?

Band of Brothers is the best TV show ever made. All 10 episodes of it are amazing TV. It also seems to improve with every viewing.

My other half is the only person I have ever met who doesn't like it. I almost broke off our engagement over this.

I’ve never watched The Wire either, I’ll have to give that a look at some point.

Nope not watched the Shield - keep meaning to, but being at home all the time has really cut down on my viewing time.

Watched both of these, the Wire is comfortably my favourite TV series of all time, i've watched it 4 ro5 times down the years now, and each time i spot something new, there is so much depth to the characters and the story, which is why i guess some people consider it a little slow.

The Shield is also very good, grittier, faster paced, each of these may be a little dated now though, so bear that in mind if you give them a go.

Watched both of these, the Wire is comfortably my favourite TV series of all time, i've watched it 4 ro5 times down the years now, and each time i spot something new, there is so much depth to the characters and the story, which is why i guess some people consider it a little slow.

The Shield is also very good, grittier, faster paced, each of these may be a little dated now though, so bear that in mind if you give them a go.
This is what pits me off a lot of American stuff, I prefer the grittier hard hitting stuff, I can’t stand the over polished stuff or the more light hearted stuff so generally tend to skip loads. Stuff like CSI is just mind numbing shit.

Doesn't get much grittier than the wire I think.

Sound I’ll watch it.

Fun fact: If you’ve watched Sons of Anarchy you’ve already watched 90% of the cast of The Shield in some capacity or other. There’s even an episode of The Shield on the TV in one episode.

There are some hideous goings on in the Shield with some of the gang warfare, it can get really dark.

But yeah, Baltimore....
The scene in season 3 when Aceveda gets caught short against two druggies in their house made me nearly physically sick.

Sound I’ll watch it.

Fun fact: If you’ve watched Sons of Anarchy you’ve already watched 90% of the cast of The Shield in some capacity or other. There’s even an episode of The Shield on the TV in one episode.
Yep, as i'm sure you know Kurt Sutter wrote both SOA and the Shield, weirdly i couldn't get into SOA, which was disappointing after enjoying the Shield so much.

The scene in season 3 when Aceveda gets caught short against two druggies in their house made me nearly physically sick.
I was thinking of the Armenians and their feet fetishes, as well as the face burnings.... but now you mention that Acevada scene, Christ that was dark!

Yep, as i'm sure you know Kurt Sutter wrote both SOA and the Shield, weirdly i couldn't get into SOA, which was disappointing after enjoying the Shield so much.
Yeah I caught that before I watched SOA and expected so much more. I stuck it to the end and it’s the worst ending I’ve ever seen (never watched Dexter!) and it was a real chore. Some of it was OK but for the most part it was awful. Charlie Hunnam annoyed the fuck out of me and the overuse of the phrase ‘Jesus Christ’ did my head in.

I was thinking of the Armenians and their feet fetishes, as well as the face burnings.... but now you mention that Acevada scene, Christ that was dark!
Yeah the face burnings are gruesome, Ronnie wasn’t it who got done out the team?

Yep, revenge because of Macky doing a similar thing to Armadillo.

This has made me want to watch them all again, haven't noticed them on Netflix or Amazon though.

They’re not on there for some reason. Well it’s on Amazon but you have to buy them. I’ve got all the DVDs but nothing to play them on.

Yeah I caught that before I watched SOA and expected so much more. I stuck it to the end and it’s the worst ending I’ve ever seen (never watched Dexter!) and it was a real chore. Some of it was OK but for the most part it was awful. Charlie Hunnam annoyed the fuck out of me and the overuse of the phrase ‘Jesus Christ’ did my head in.
The ending was the absolute pits (doesn't trump Dexter, mind)and like others, it should have ended a couple of seasons before it actually did. I enjoyed it in the main, but it isn't a must watch.

The ending was the absolute pits (doesn't trump Dexter, mind)and like others, it should have ended a couple of seasons before it actually did. I enjoyed it in the main, but it isn't a must watch.
I lost all interest when Opie went out of it, he was the only character I really liked. And I hated the Irish season.

Another fun fact, my oldest daughter was named after Vic Macky’s daughter from The Shield.

Back