• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

It was really worrying! Some people on the jury didn't even know what they were deciding on.
That's what I found most interesting, and a timely reminder that different people arrive at decisions in different ways.

Hearing about how other juries work in other countries, and how they are trained up to almost be "professional" jurors

Professional jurors is a bad idea. You want to be tried by your peers in matters of fact having been correctly advised on matters of law by the judge. If a jury doesn’t know what it is deciding on that is a fuck up by the judge and grounds for an appeal or mistrial.

I've been called up twice relatively recently and never actually made the courtroom either time as I've been the only [someone just didn't turn up] 'spare' once and one of two spares the second time. What worried me most was the ability/intelligence of the 12 chosen! You go through an extremely straightforward procedure pre trial [filling out a form, sitting and listening to what would happen and how the jury would be chosen etc., etc.] and the number of people that couldn't do these simple basic tasks was incredible. I reckon two or three each time would have been unable to logically process any information properly.

Last edited:
I was called up years ago, and despaired based on my experience.
I disagree with paddy. The lack of training means people have no idea what they are involved in, why they are there, and the ramifications of what their responsibilities are.

I did an coroner's inquest jury a few years ago, which is slightly different, but I was actually quite impressed with how seriously everyone took it and how keen they were to get it right. Of course there were a range of personalities, backgrounds and abilities but I think that's the point of a jury.

One of the most worrying things about The Jury was that there was one dominant person that was basically able to persuade the rest of the jury to vote the way he wanted. It seems a very flawed system.

I also found the verdict from the real trial surprising!

I was called up years ago, and despaired based on my experience.
I disagree with paddy. The lack of training means people have no idea what they are involved in, why they are there, and the ramifications of what their responsibilities are.
Well you didn’t read it right then.

It’s really fairly simple. a jury isn’t supposed to have knowledge. It is a trial by peers listening to evidence and advised on law to make a decision on fact

The ramifications as you put it are irrelevant. The judge decides the sentence in this country and the jury has no involvement in that

I got called in Feb/Mar 2020 to appear in April 2020, but it all got cancelled because of Covid. Wasn't particularly looking forward to it, endless waiting around and being exasperated by other jurors not understanding the law seems par for the course.

Oh and as a self-employed sole trader, claiming money owed due to not being able to work looked like it was going to be a right ballache.

Amateur stand up comic does the budget premiering on most news channels.

Absolutely effing awful. This is supposed to be a serious matter considering the complete shit show of the last 14 years and the jokes are appalling.

One of the most worrying things about The Jury was that there was one dominant person that was basically able to persuade the rest of the jury to vote the way he wanted. It seems a very flawed system.

I also found the verdict from the real trial surprising!
As you need a unanimous verdict, at least first up, dominant juror is defended against, at least a bit

I did jury service twice during the 70s. I was the foreman on my second case. The foreman's role is principly that of a chairperson IME.

I did jury service twice during the 70s. I was the foreman on my second case. The foreman's role is principly that of a chairperson IME.
That would make a better follow up to Life on Mars than Ashes to Ashes ever could be.

I know I'm banging on about it, but 3 episodes in and Shogun might be the best thing I've seen since Chernobyl (very different obviously). I'd go as far as to say it's essential viewing. Tremendous.

I was called up twice to be on a jury.
Second time I was foreman.
Jury’s do not work, mainly because the majority of the public are as thick as mince.

Done Jury service quite a while ago. Absolute farce. Chairman decided there wasn’t enough evidence but had to go one way or another so went guilty. And he was one of the better ones.

I know I'm banging on about it, but 3 episodes in and Shogun might be the best thing I've seen since Chernobyl (very different obviously). I'd go as far as to say it's essential viewing. Tremendous.
Agreed, it's very good. I never watched Chernobyl so can't comment.

Back