• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2023/24

All of this Southgate stuff is deeply hilarious to those of us that aren't English.

In reality, the furthest any nation can "expect" to get in a tournament is the quarter-finals. Getting beyond that stage is a combination of the luck of the draw, having your players perform on the day and not having a traditionally "smaller" nation having a golden generation or a team playing above themselves - and as we've recently seen in a quarter final ourselves, that's far from guaranteed.

Getting through the quarters and into the semis and beyond is a good result, no matter whether you're England, Brazil, France, Germany, Argentina, Italy or so on.

It's like for us smaller nations, the realistic expectation is to make a good go of qualifying, and a great result is qualifying.

Southgate has achieved and bettered the realistic expections, perhaps despite his limitations, but as an international manager he's been overall a decent success for England. Probably getting near his sell-by date in the job, but that's an entirely different discussion.

All of this Southgate stuff is deeply hilarious to those of us that aren't English.

In reality, the furthest any nation can "expect" to get in a tournament is the quarter-finals. Getting beyond that stage is a combination of the luck of the draw, having your players perform on the day and not having a traditionally "smaller" nation having a golden generation or a team playing above themselves - and as we've recently seen in a quarter final ourselves, that's far from guaranteed.

Getting through the quarters and into the semis and beyond is a good result, no matter whether you're England, Brazil, France, Germany, Argentina, Italy or so on.

It's like for us smaller nations, the realistic expectation is to make a good go of qualifying, and a great result is qualifying.

Southgate has achieved and bettered the realistic expections, perhaps despite his limitations, but as an international manager he's been overall a decent success for England. Probably getting near his sell-by date in the job, but that's an entirely different discussion.
Yet every single other nation you mention has won a major tournament this century. Which is more an overall observation than a Southgate one

In 66, Brazil.were touted as the best ( having won in 58 and 62), but failed to get out of the group stage IIRC.
Just before my time but Brazil always seem to be favourites (or near enough) for every World Cup.

I recall my Dad telling me that he always thought they'd struggle as the team was ageing, and, of course, Pele was brutalised in the games against Hungary and Portugal.

Had an interesting conversation last night to a man who earlier in the day had been talking to someone on the FAI executive board.

FAI thought they had Carsley in the bag until FA threw him a hook that if Southgate leaves he will be on a very short shortlist for England.

Carsley has a pretty short CV for the England job. Mind you so did Southgate when pintsofwine decided to out himself as a corrupt bastard.

Carsley has a pretty short CV for the England job. Mind you so did Southgate when pintsofwine decided to out himself as a corrupt bastard.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Carsley got it, it might focus the minds of folk who continually slag Southgate off!

Carsley aside the (realistic) options aren't great at all.

The Saudi’s are gonna be looking for someone with a bit of European clout, not sure if Mourinho still has it but wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there.

Cos they're not happy with him? Or he's unhappy with their finances?

Xabi Alonso confirms he will stay at Leverkusen next season.

Back