• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Delighted to see things moving ahead in Winchester Crown Court this afternoon.
That American woman (who it turns out was also an employee of the American Security Service) is going to 'attend' and present her case for driving on the wrong side of the road and killing that young kid on his motorbike outside the American base 3 years ago.
Bit ground breaking as she is still refusing to show her face as she'll get arrested but is 'attending' via a video link.
Fucked off back to America, she must have been in a right state for 3 weeks.... "What shall I do? I might have killed him! Left him at the side of the road in a crumpled heap, our car is all bashed up too! Oh what shall I do??"
"Say nothing and fuck off back home under diplomatic cover ASAP..."
I've been loosely following the case and hoping justice will be done

I've been loosely following the case and hoping justice will be done
Very delicate job Andy, trying to prise her out of the unwilling clutches of the American Government.
She can't serve any sort of a sentence in America, I don't think they'll stand for it. They won't tell her to serve any kind of community sentence over there, even if they have the structure. I can't see them letting her come here so she can repent in a cell somewhere, so I'm bracing myself to watch his long suffering parents bemoaning some sort of a whitewash.
'It's very sad and all that... Very unfortunate... Brief lapse of concentration.... Foreign person pulling out of the base on the wrong side of the road... very sad the result... can't ruin another life, just because he lost his... etc etc., let's see if we can push for the Feds to bung a few thousand dollars into your handbag.'

Flew through a refresher course for a qualification I originally passed in 1993 (bloody traffic commissioner thinking I wasn't up to date), had to partake in two 'webinars' although during the first one I had this happen

202760230_944588576383392_1576561557621384143_n.jpg

part of this is bittersweet, as the bowls season has come to an end, and at this time of year I realise how I'll miss it in winter, and how bowling, and the people involved benefit my own wellbeing.
Anyway, this time last year we (as a club) were in a certain amount of disarray. We didn't want to play at our then "home", and someone had bought it and evidently wanted us gone, and told us so 12 months ago. We'd moved there as an easy fix to being kicked off our previous "home".
We've been nomads for some years after our original home was closed by the owners, and then our second home was allocated to be built on.
We needed some roots, and some new bowlers.
To an extent, being kicked off energised us into finding a new home. It's much better than (to be fair) most of our other locations in recent years, and we should be settled there. It's much closer for most of the team, but a fair bit further for me to travel.
However, the point for me was wanting to move with a load of supportive people, rather than join a new club.

To be fair, we've only just been able to get through the season in many ways, and on a saturday (where I captain the team) we had more than one scare of a saturday morning as to whether we had enough players!
However, we had our last game saturday, needing to win the match and to have 7+ definite winners to top our league, and we just about managed it!
Combined with winning one other midweek league, and coming 2nd in the oter midweek league, not a bad first season in a new home!
I know how you feel LJ - had my last game 2 weeks ago. Can play indoors on a carpet full green or shortmat, but neither really interests me enough.

Must be difficult not having a secure home - I am fortunate as the club owns the land & buildings we operate at so no one can disturb us or throw us out, plus local planning restrictions would make it very difficult for anyone to try and offer enough to buy us out to build on the site.
Does mean that financially we are responsible for all maintainence/improvments which can be challenging especially this year as we have had the green stripped, laser levelled & relaid at a cost of £15000.

I know how you feel LJ - had my last game 2 weeks ago. Can play indoors on a carpet full green or shortmat, but neither really interests me enough.

Must be difficult not having a secure home - I am fortunate as the club owns the land & buildings we operate at so no one can disturb us or throw us out, plus local planning restrictions would make it very difficult for anyone to try and offer enough to buy us out to build on the site.
Does mean that financially we are responsible for all maintainence/improvments which can be challenging especially this year as we have had the green stripped, laser levelled & relaid at a cost of £15000.
No, carpet/indoors has never really interested me.
Although I miss it & the people over winter, it helps keep the love & stops me getting bored I guess.

Steve Wright is finally leaving the BBC today.

I did a temp job in the summer of 2002 and he was on the office radio, every single day. The memory of him singing over the end of tracks still makes me rage 20 years on.

Feel like Steve Wright has *always* been on the radio somewhere my entire life.

I remember him doing Radio 1 Breakfast around 92/93 or so, when I started secondary school. Sounded dated as fuck even then.

Obviously was around in the 80s too but I don't recall my parents ever listening to him at the time. My Dad did put DLT's snooker on the radio on though. Halcyon days.

He’s going to virgin radio in January, but ssh it’s a secret.
Even when he was “fashionable” with the rest of the smash and nicey lot he’s annoyed me with his posse and the clapping and whooping for him, it’s just you had to have him on in the van, because there was nothing else out there on FM.
Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine, can get tae fuck as well, I think I’m supposed to be radio two target audience, if I’m driving and we’ve got Fm only, it’s classic or radio four, DAB radio, then it’s 6music and absolute and classic rock all the way.

Ken gets a pass for Popmaster alone. Although people are cheating bastards these days, just play properly and if you don't know, you don't know.

Oh yea and his serious jockin no g always made me want to go to the bbc and give him a serious kickin no g

He’s going to virgin radio in January, but ssh it’s a secret.
Even when he was “fashionable” with the rest of the smash and nicey lot he’s annoyed me with his posse and the clapping and whooping for him, it’s just you had to have him on in the van, because there was nothing else out there on FM.
Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine, can get tae fuck as well, I think I’m supposed to be radio two target audience, if I’m driving and we’ve got Fm only, it’s classic or radio four, DAB radio, then it’s 6music and absolute and classic rock all the way.
Yeah think he started all that 'posse' shit, filling the studio with irritating goons.
Don't mind Ken Bruce.
Don't have dab in the car so find it difficult to get a decent music station, usually end up with Absolute 90s on.

My first full time job started in early 1989 and Steve Wright was on the radio every afternoon then too

...I actually liked Steve Wright in the afternoon...

I remember him doing Radio 1 Breakfast around 92/93 or so, when I started secondary school. Sounded dated as fuck even then.

Obviously was around in the 80s too but I don't recall my parents ever listening to him at the time. My Dad did put DLT's snooker on the radio on though. Halcyon days.
He was no Simon Mayo with his confession time. I can still hear that music in my head!

Steve Wright ITA was always on in the factory when I was doing my apprenticeship early/mid 80’s.

Loved the early characters, Diamond Geezer, Mr Angry, Damien the social worker, John Bowl and Malcolm from the Arts Council.

Just a group of young lads having a laugh and enjoying life looking forward so the show captured the mood. Like a lot of things it was probably ‘of its time’ but everything moves on.

Haven’t listened to any of his shows since then and it’s sad to hear he’s still flogging a dead horse and knocking out the same old stuff, but credit where it’s due, he did give some pretty grim offices and factories a right good laugh back in the day.

Back