• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

v Southampton (A). League Cup 2nd Round 23/08 - Match Thread

Kenny

🤨
Staff member
Reaction score
So what does Nuno do here. Typically its make a lot of changes but after a disapointing performance does he give a few a chance to get their game back as after Saturday they have a week off anyway. Will presume a lot of changes from Southampton.

Vinagre will probably start as I doubt Douglas will be fit. I would keep Neves in midfield and put Ronan with him. Ivan in for his first start. If the Ghanian Times are correct and Phil is fit, put him in if not I reckon he will put Bennett there rather than Graham again.

...............Norris

Miranda....Batth.....Boly

Phil.....Ronan....Neves...Vinagre

Ivan......Leo.....Graham

As many changes as possible for me. Give them a rest before Brentford...

--------------------------------- Norris ------------------------------

----- -------Bennett ---------- Coady --------------- Batth --------

Ofosu-Ayeh ------------ Price --------- Ronan ----------- Vinagre

------------- Zyro ------------ Dicko ---------- Graham ----------

(That team will get spanked if Southampton take the Cup seriously)

Rest - Apart from Leo and Boly they have only played 4 games. (and the 5th game for Boly, he probably put more effort in getting to the ground than he had to in the game).

They get time off to relax next week....

As many changes as possible for me. Give them a rest before Brentford...

--------------------------------- Norris ------------------------------

----- -------Bennett ---------- Coady --------------- Batth --------

Ofosu-Ayeh ------------ Price --------- Ronan ----------- Vinagre

------------- Zyro ------------ Dicko ---------- Graham ----------

(That team will get spanked if Southampton take the Cup seriously)

Agree with that team selection, looks bang on. Give the first team a good rest.

Rest as many as possible.

Cav to start since he's been on the bench. Hopefully see German Phil.

Rest as many as possible.

Cav to start since he's been on the bench. Hopefully see German Phil.

Forgot about Cav...I'd maybe put Bright in for Zyro in my team then and start Cav on Saturday

As many changes as possible for me. Give the 'first' team a chance to recover properly.

--------------Norris-------------
----Bennett--Batth--Hause----
Graham--Price--Ronan--Vinagre
-----Zyro----Dicko----Cavaleiro--

Agree that we should rest players but I reckon this game is a serious opportunity for Batth, Bennett, Vinagre, Cav in particular to make a claim to start against Brentford (especially Cav)

Can't see Zyro playing to be honest, with the talk of him leaving on loan. Cav/Graham behind Dicko would be my guess.

Can see Edwards playing a part in this game (if fit).

So what does Nuno do here. Typically its make a lot of changes but after a disapointing performance does he give a few a chance to get their game back as after Saturday they have a week off anyway. Will presume a lot of changes from Southampton.

Vinagre will probably start as I doubt Douglas will be fit. I would keep Neves in midfield and put Ronan with him. Ivan in for his first start. If the Ghanian Times are correct and Phil is fit, put him in if not I reckon he will put Bennett there rather than Graham again.

...............Norris

Miranda....Batth.....Boly

Phil.....Ronan....Neves...Vinagre

Ivan......Leo.....Graham

Clearly you didn't want to add to the thread I started a couple of days ago :D http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?32723-EFL-Cup-round-2 - you could even have changed the title if you wanted (a skill unknown to us lesser mortals)

Your team is fine, but would use Dicko rather than Leo & Bennett instead of Miranda. If Phil is fit can't see him lasting the full 90 as it will be his first game after injury so will need to be replaced at some point.

ndorsetwolf & myself are driving over for this & will be in Soton around 6pm if anyone else is around. According to Soton forums we have sold roughly 1500, but there doesn't seem to be that much appetite from their side. They reckon that we are the hardest side they could have drawn given the geographical/seeding split.

I did scan the forum page and clearly missed it! Apologies squire

Got my ticket for this one albeit im in the home end, I wonder how far Costa and Marshall are from making an appearance, they said 2 weeks nearly 2 weeks ago is it too soon for the bench? Personally I hope he rests as many as possible I thought we looked leggy against Cardiff so the rest will help.

I like the look of Darlo's team I would go with that and hope that either Marshall or Costa make the bench for a brief appearance.

As for the opposition, I will be sitting with a season ticket holder at St Mary's who thinks their reserves would murder our 1st team let alone our squad players. I hope that doesn't happen as I will be in for an ear bashing.

Unlikely that Marshall or Costa are ready & even if they are wouldn't start them in this game which is not massively important in the grand scheme of things

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire starting eleven from Saturday was changed. Southampton will probably play their reserves, so it will be a decent test for our back up players. And maybe a chance to show they should be in the first team.

Rest for me, especially with the game being on a Wednesday. Priority is promotion, not the Cariboo Cup or whatever it's called

Parkin and I are plannng to park at Ocean Village, about 10 mins walk from the ground, and a lot easier to get away from. There is a Wetherspoons on the site, so probably pop in there pre match if anyone else is around. It's called 'The Sir Admiral Lucius Curtis'!

I know this is a tinpot trophy, but it is a chance to see the boys in gold and black with a cheap ticket and only 1 and 1/2 hours from home. Fully expect to see a side of fringe players, travelling more in hope than expectation. It is, however, a chance to keep some players match fit who we might need to call on in case of injuries.

Draw for the next round is at 4.15am. Bonkers.

Back