• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa

Hereford Wolf

Reaction score
Are we too concerned about Sheffield Utd and Cardiff?
I have a feeling the Villa will be our main rivals after Christmas.

Not worried about them overtaking us, but I do think they may take that second place.
Let’s hope it’s not too close.

Villa and Derby will be up there challenging I feel, but not overly concerned about either overtaking us

Are we too concerned about Sheffield Utd and Cardiff?
I have a feeling the Villa will be our main rivals after Christmas.

Not worried about them overtaking us, but I do think they may take that second place.
Let’s hope it’s not too close.

It is too early to say. They are improving and Cardiff are still in the mix. Sheffield are greater than the sum of their parts. We have been very good at getting results this season 4especially when we have not put in the full performance. That bodes well. We also tend to do better second half pof the season . November , remember has been a shit month for a few years now so get me into December in top spot and I will be happy.

Villa are crap, they routinely come unstuck against anyone who's half decent. Not worried about them in the slightest.

If they take second then, judging by the first third of the season, they will be below us (assuming we don't fuck it up)

It is too early to say. They are improving and Cardiff are still in the mix. Sheffield are greater than the sum of their parts. We have been very good at getting results this season 4especially when we have not put in the full performance. That bodes well. We also tend to do better second half pof the season . November , remember has been a shit month for a few years now so get me into December in top spot and I will be happy.

If you look at our November's we've been patchy, the only truly awful November was 2014 when we got hammered nearly every week for the duration. 2015 & 2016 was patchy mid table form for mid table sides. 2012 saw 4 defeats from 5 but again relegation form for an eventually relegated side, 2011-12 1W 2L from 3 games.

If every November we fell apart like in 2014 fair play but I read it as "shit team are shit"

If you look at our November's we've been patchy, the only truly awful November was 2014 when we got hammered nearly every week for the duration. 2015 & 2016 was patchy mid table form for mid table sides. 2012 saw 4 defeats from 5 but again relegation form for an eventually relegated side, 2011-12 1W 2L from 3 games.

If every November we fell apart like in 2014 fair play but I read it as "$#@! team are $#@!"

2015 and 2016 Novembers saw us fail to win a game

3 nil nil draws and a 2-2 with Ipswich is all we have to show for November in 2015 and 2016. So add that to our agreed shitfest of zero wins 1 draw and 4 defeats in 2014 and from 12 games in November since 1st November 2014 we have won 0 drawn 5 and lost 7. That is the dictionary definition of shit.

Because as he says, we were a shit side in 2015 and 2016. Why would November be any different? We got bad results because we were generally bad, hence finishing on fewer than 60 points and below halfway.

Back to Villa, Bruce says Kodjia may be out for the season.

Because as he says, we were a $#@! side in 2015 and 2016. Why would November be any different? We got bad results because we were generally bad, hence finishing on fewer than 60 points and below halfway.

60 points is 1.3 points per game. November record since 2013 is less than half a point per game.

Next worse month is october 2016 2 points from 4 games then Feb 2016 when we took 4 points from 5 games. But over the last 3 seasons November has produced 0 wins and plenty of defeats.

60 points is 1.3 points per game. November record since 2013 is less than half a point per game.

Next worse month is october 2016 2 points from 4 games then Feb 2016 when we took 4 points from 5 games. But over the last 3 seasons November has produced 0 wins and plenty of defeats.

What he's saying though is what we did last November and every other November before that has no bearing on what has happened in this November. Just like if we won every game for the rest of this month i wouldn't be thinking i can't wait until next November because we will obviously win all of our games.

Villa will need to have a January akin to our most recent summer before I get worried about them.

Doubt that'll happen,their owner isn't properly loaded,and Bruce has already pissed a load of cash away on rubbish like terry

What he's saying though is what we did last November and every other November before that has no bearing on what has happened in this November. Just like if we won every game for the rest of this month i wouldn't be thinking i can't wait until next November because we will obviously win all of our games.

Yes. And all in said is I will be happier once December comes and we have bucked the trend of the last 3 years hopefully. Fuck me I am a pretty simple guy. You all know I am a bit odd ball, believe in ghosts, tarot, superstition etc. I will be happier in December for my reasons. Valid to one.

We are playing great but never a defeat away from dropping to 2nd, even third. Simply not accurate to say we are walking this league.

We are playing great but never a defeat away from dropping to 2nd, even third. Simply not accurate to say we are walking this league.

I remember similar comments when we were in League One, we were clearly the class team of the division but Brentford and Peterborough just wouldn't go away. We had a great defensive record, the class forwards of the league and a midfield who held everything together but still there were some who would say "ah but we aren't walking the league"... We went on to grab a record points haul and, in the end, were comfortably promoted. I see a lot of similarities between then and now. Us and two unfancied teams battling at the top but I truly believe that, again, class will overcome

Walking the league only really happens in hindsight, IMO. It's one of those things that I believe you only properly appreciate after a little time has passed.

There have currently been too few games for the points gaps to really open. If the relative form of the first third of the season continues we will finish well over 20 points clear of Villa(!) and 6 ahead of second place.
Course that's quite a big if.

Villa are a classic Bruce Championship side, fair bit of graft, defensively solid enough, not a lot of flair, built to do well in the Championship, but will need a complete overhaul if they go up. I think they'll be Top 4, maybe even Top 2 and will probably go up either way.

Rowett is doing a decent job at Derby, but the core of that squad is still the serial chokers, but as per his Blues side, they are well coached, know their jobs and are strong and competitive, but there is little flair in that side They'll be Top 6 as well.

Both are classic play off or finishing second Championship sides and will get a points haul in the early to mid 80s I'd guess, but if either of them finish above us it'll be because we've fucked up rather than because of anything special they've done. We are the class act of this league and have proven that over the first 3.5 months of the season, we need to continue to do so over the next 6. I think the next 2 games will be telling as from the position we are in a really top quality side will win both and take the league by the throat. Do that and I think we'll stay Top to the end of the season, don't and it could be tight all year.

Last edited:
There have currently been too few games for the points gaps to really open. If the relative form of the first third of the season continues we will finish well over 20 points clear of Villa(!) and 6 ahead of second place.
Course that's quite a big if.

Win tonight and we'll be on for 105 points. Cardiff are on for 94. 11 points between 1st and 2nd would be walking the league.

Based on Villa's current form they'll finish on 82 points.

Back