• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Who do you want in goal?

A lot of people not agreeing with you does not necessarily = pile on

Just wish Rui would be a lot more vocal - shouting at defenders to leave balls - and more dominant in his area.

He is still to convince me that he does enough, talks enough or saves enough. You could argue his save last night won a point. But that’s about it recently.
1) he does talk. Fucking constantly. When were allowed in the ground I got to spend 45 mins behind him every other week and he talks and bollocks players all the time. Probably more so than Ruddy. Had this discussion loads of times
2) Saves - I will stand by view of him that he wipes out a high percentage of saves because of his positioning and ability to see danger early. He has let in a couple of should have saved them goals this season and has had a drop in form this season, along with the whole squad. Last season I don't think he put a foot wrong. Chelsea last week he was quality and same last night

He has his weaknesses, every player does. He won;t come for crosses unless he his sure he can get to it. So you are never going to get Rui turning into Matt Murray. His kicking when he joined was appalling but you can see the work he has done there. Remember in his first few months, a backpass had you turning into a bag of nerves, that hasn't been an isue for a while now.

Not a case of putting a lot of faith in him, since he joined us he has earned that faith.

Martinez v QPR was a shocker, are you now saying that performance is no longer a shocker because he is good now? (speak to fans of clubs who had him on loan, he never impressed that much) Thats like saying because Raul scored a few his performance at Cardiff the other year is now acceptable when in reality it was fucking dire beyond belief.

Do many top flight keepers have competition? A look around at the benches and its not a great showing of keepers is it

For example
Liverpool -Adrian is so shit they started to use a young kid
Man City - Actually, without looking I have no clue who 2nd choice is there anymore
Chelsea - Kepa (LOLZ)
Arsenal - Slighty better with the keeper signed from Brighton but why has he been let go when his replacement looks well dodgy
Man Utd - Exception to it with Henderson pushing De Gea
Spurs - Hart (who has been in decline for 4 years now)
WBA - Longergan (DOUBLE LOLZ)
So where do you put Rui in the list of top keepers on the premier league? He is not better than any first team choice at the big six.

So where do you put Rui in the list of top keepers on the premier league? He is not better than any first team choice at the big six.
Big Six as in Sky Big Six

Liverpool - Nope (although Ally hasn't been great this season)
Man City - Ederson - Nope
Arsenal - Leno YES
Chelsea - Mendy. Not seen enough of him to judge
Spurs - Lloris - I prefer Rui to him
Man Utd - De Gea. if De Gea was like he was 3 years ago, nope but he isn't so not much between them now. Henderson - Not seen enough in the top flight too date

When Rui is in form he is one of the Top 6 for me in this Country IMO. I love watching him play when in the ground. His vision and movement is top level stuff. What looks like an attack just ending due to a poor pass or slightly over hit is generally down to him. Not seen a keeper at Wolves who can spot danger and cut it off like him. It would be ace if he had the Murray ability but if he did, he wouldn't be at Wolves unless we were prepared to break the record fee to sign him.

Not sure where the quiet stuff has come from and the reason he doesn't have to spend games diving around making save after save is because of the above but there is no stat for that shit is there.

Rui - although he does need to improve his form. He was good last night though.

He is better than Leno. On a par with Lloris and probably Mendy although I haven’t seen huge amounts of Mendy to make a judgement. Miles ahead of Kepa. Slightly behind De Gea. Definitely behind Ederson and Allison.

I wasn't disagreeing, I have only just seen where this started. I have mentioned on here before but I love keeping, my actual own best position or sporting achievement was as a keeper, and it utterly fascinates me that in such a well-documented sport keeping is still so poorly known about - shouldn't get beaten at the near post for example, which is something people say but don't really think about why it's not really something that makes any sense.

Rui is better than Pope is my eye feeling. He hasn't had the best of years but that is understandable given the rest of the team. Rui has really poor post shot expected goals this year though. However in terms of crossing defence, launching (ball traveling over 40yards) he is one of the best statistically in the league, and his passing.

His starting position is deep, however that stat needs to be viewed at that as a keeper playing with a sweeper you would drop off deeper so his stats there will have more variance than neither any other keeper. He didn't do great for the goal yesterday, but he did okay on the chance the Saka hit the post on despite how it looks, as he recovers and seems to actively make a decision to hold, gets his shape and then makes his action when he sees the striker is about to shoot. That's a good strategy when you see the player is face with defenders recovering as it means you force them to shoot and means you are less likely to rush out and have them go around you. Getting lucky that it hit the post I will concede.

Clearly Rui. He's an excellent player. I've been delighted to see a player of his quality at our club and, as one of the key components in the radical change we've enjoyed, am amazed and saddened when I see a slight dent in form lead to calls for him to be replaced. I think someone on here was asking for him to be 'sent back to Europe' last week, so I guess the urge to bring in a Shouty British Bloke still runs deep with some. It's acceptable to acknowledge he's not been at his best while maintaining we'd be nuts to be agitating for change between the sticks, it's obviously far from the top of our concerns.

it's just i've watched several occasions where the defender is waiting for a shout from him telling him what to do.
Not neccasarily a keeper talking issue. That also falls into "defender ignoring the keeper and doing what he thinks should happen" category. Hence why Rui has torn a few defenders in half when they have done that.

When that happens it looks shit and looks like a break down in comms and generally the TV coverage will blame the keeper. We had one v Burnley where Rui shouted and Saiss thumped the ball almost out of his hands for a corner. Rui's fault apparently

I think there is a fair point to say Rui offers less than Ruddy, for example, in a back 4 when it comes to having the ball. A keeper like Ruddy is better able to be the sweeper / keeper so useful in modern back 4s.

Well I am not surprised the mafia mod cave back Rui! 😂😂

remember you are among those who levelled Martinez performance against QPR one of the worst goalkeeping displays ever seen. I have a long memory. You all have put a lot of faith in Rui. I hope he doesn’t let you down. He is still to convince me that he does enough, talks enough or saves enough. You could argue his save last night won a point. But that’s about it recently.
Really do not talk about that QPR game ever again - my most traumatic visit to Wolverhampton. A number on here know 'some of the details'.

Not sure that we will get better than Rui (who has faults as all keepers do) at this stage of our development, but does need a serious challenge which Ruddy is losing the ability to give.

Problem with keepers is that you can only ever play 1 & if you keep rotating them then that is disestablishing anyway

am amazed and saddened when I see a slight dent in form lead to calls for him to be replaced. I think someone on here was asking for him to be 'sent back to Europe' last week

I have no problem with Rui, but why should he be exempt from the comments that Coady, Moutinho, Donk and Traore have had this season when their form has nose dived? The sale of the latter gets brought up after every game on here

I have no problem with Rui, but why should he be exempt from the comments that Coady, Moutinho, Donk and Traore have had this season when their form has nose dived? The sale of the latter gets brought up after every game on here
You know everything you say before 'but' doesn't matter.

Back