• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why are we failing to get our targets?

Some brave words being spoken on here. ;)

What happens if we miss out on the playoffs on goal difference? Will people still put a brave face on it, or will they say 'if only we had bought more in the Jan window'?
My life will go on and the team I support will still exist. Certainly won't moan that we didn't pay £3m for Johnny Neverheardofhim-untilpenkmentionedhim

Any player that is going to improve the starting line up is likely to have a lot of other options, including PL teams. If we are sticking to wages close to those of the players currently playing rather than the big earners it is going to be difficult.

KJ has assembled a solid team with few obvious weaknesses so improving it is going to be difficult within a tight budget. For example a lot of people have suggested we need a signing in the “10” role but any player who has the work rate of Edwards allied to better creativity is going to be costly, and if they lack the work rate we could lose more than we gain.

I must getting old because if we sign a player or not, I don't really care.

It isn't so much about signing or not signing, it's about improving a team that needs improving. Logically that's by signing new blood. I'd have been more than happy with Lingard only on top of Afobe mind.

I blame Football Manager and every other video game of a similar ilk.

To a point. Would you not concede that one more player in wide areas though would be a good thing?

With regard to comments like
"So and so has signed 8 players and we've signed two boo Moxey out"

Then I more than agree with you.

It isn't so much about signing or not signing, it's about improving a team that needs improving. Logically that's by signing new blood. I'd have been more than happy with Lingard only on top of Afobe mind.

Or bringing through younger players which we have done quite well recently.

To a point. Would you not concede that one more player in wide areas though would be a good thing?

With regard to comments like
"So and so has signed 8 players and we've signed two boo Moxey out"

Then I more than agree with you.

If that player was better than we have already then yes, who wouldn't? But folk think you can just think of a player and sign them - not every club is managed by Harry Redknapp.

It isn't so much about signing or not signing, it's about improving a team that needs improving. Logically that's by signing new blood.

Well we improved right back without signing a player and made our strike force weaker by actually signing Clarke last year....

My point is though, I won't get wound up if we don't sign a player. Not about me not wanting the team to improve just my outlook on Football that has developed over the last few years.

The trouble is lots of fans are obsessed with getting to the promised land of the Premier League despite that will probably mean a season(s) of fighting relegation which will not be much fun (for me at least) and the same people shouting for new signings will shout even louder and expect us to break the bank just to survive. Don't get me wrong, I want Wolves to do well which will of course mean getting to the top division but just buying players won't necessarily mean we will get promoted and then stay up, we will never be able to compete with the likes of the current top 6 or so financially so we will have to do it by bringing in up and coming players or from our own youth system. I know Southampton and Swansea have managed it but it remains to be seen whether they can maintain their form/progress.

Southampton seemed to hit the jack pot in terms of cashing in on their talent over the last 5/6 seasons, I can't see any club repeating it in the same method they have for a while.

I don't think there's much more we can do this window, get Sako back and 1 more attacking player like Lingard who would've been perfect and it's about as much as we can do until the summer realistically

It's a myth that Swansea and Soton brought through their youth to get up the divisions.

Soton spent £1m on Lambert in Lg1 along with £600k on Fonte whom they bought from Palace, they sold most of their young talent after a half a good season or handful of games. Walcott, Ox, Bale, Shaw and Chambers. Others they've bought in Rodriguez, Schneideien and Clyne.

Swansea bought all of their squad bar Taylor and Ben Davies, Dyer was at Soton ironically enough.

Wolves have done great to bring through Iorfa, Price and Batth and bought well to bring on Hause, Dicko and Evans. You have to do both and Wolves recruitment team (Thelwell, Moxey, Webber and KJ included) have failed this season to bring in the sufficient quality to improve the first team to a better standard than last season. That's with buying/ recruiting 6 players which should be plenty for any club. It's a collective responsibility and not getting it right falls on all of them.

I imagine they are as frustrated at that more than any fan as for at least two of them it will be their jobs they pay with. Fans do not understand that sometimes.

The thing which surprises me is that we seem to get a fair way down the process then things fall over due to finance - either with the other club or the player. In this time of all knowing agents it seems strange that we don't know what is needed to get the deal over the line at an earlier stage

The thing which surprises me is that we seem to get a fair way down the process then things fall over due to finance - either with the other club or the player. In this time of all knowing agents it seems strange that we don't know what is needed to get the deal over the line at an earlier stage

The cynic inside knows that Moxey tries to lowball other clubs into submission. 9 times out of 10 they tell him to naff off.

Some brave words being spoken on here. ;)

What happens if we miss out on the playoffs on goal difference? Will people still put a brave face on it, or will they say 'if only we had bought more in the Jan window'?

Couldn't care less personally but I've debated my thoughts to death in the past and I don't want to rake over old coals.

If that player was better than we have already then yes, who wouldn't? But folk think you can just think of a player and sign them - not every club is managed by Harry Redknapp.

I certainly don't think that way. And I appreciate it's not easy. However we could go in undercooked in a vital area that we have shown we lack quality in.

Well we improved right back without signing a player and made our strike force weaker by actually signing Clarke last year....

My point is though, I won't get wound up if we don't sign a player. Not about me not wanting the team to improve just my outlook on Football that has developed over the last few years.

Between us mate I don't particularly want us to go up ever. I don't like the Prem!

And I get your point. Hence mildly frustrated instead of anything else

We had a poor summer transfer.....

Looks like this one is going the same way.......

Its not easy for Championship clubs to tempt very good talents during the January window. Which players signed by other clubs have Wolves missed out on?

We had a poor summer transfer.....

Looks like this one is going the same way.......

I wouldn't say it's poor. As long as Sako stays even if we only sign Afobe we've improved our team/squad and covered or main weakness of a backup to Dicko. Obviously to be classed as a success we'd need at least one more quality first team player but unfortunately that seems unlikely for whatever reason.

Back