• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why are we failing to get our targets?

Looking at the table, it's not *that* bad if we don't get anyone else in. We're three points behind sixth, sure, but then it's only another four points between sixth and first. Apart from that horror run of five losses on the trot our points-per-game average across the rest of the first half of the season would suggest we'd be fighting out over the automatic places rather than the play-offs.

As much as there are serious questions to be asked about certain aspects of the squad as it is now (from the lack of depth beyond the first XI to Jackett being frequently outwitted by more tactically-savvy managers) there aren't any other teams - except for, perhaps, Bournemouth and Derby, but even then why aren't they much further ahead of the chasing pack? - that don't also have their own significant weaknesses.

I'm OK if the window's quiet, is my point. The longer context is more positive than the disappointment of, say, the Charlton game.

There's an element of frustration as we're only two or three players away from making a serious challenge; but it has been great to see the academy bearing fruition as investment in that promises long-term gain as opposed to throwing money at agents and players willy nilly - which is usually the case in January. The hefty investment from Morgan to improve Compton's training facilities, coupled with the appointment of Kevin Thelwell from academy manager to DoF (you'd imagine he's going to have extensive dossiers on all the young players we have knocking around) suggests where our future lies, and I have no issue with that. We'll forever be in competition with the "big boys" but the more we prove that our academy reaps results and first team call-ups the more likely we are to at least be considered by some of the better young players in this country. I'd probably us rather go down this route than sign a player for an inflated fee who could easily flop.

Nash (I know, I know) has just tweeted that we never had any interest in Lingard.

Aside from this meaning that I'll toss my pitchfork and torch in with the angry mob heading to Penkridge, it also means that we haven't exactly "missed out" on him if we never wanted him in the first place.

That's what I mean, it's so hard to make a judgement without actually knowing what's going on behind the scenes and obviously we'll never know that 100% (will we, Penk, eh?)

I wouldn't say it's poor. As long as Sako stays even if we only sign Afobe we've improved our team/squad and covered or main weakness of a backup to Dicko. Obviously to be classed as a success we'd need at least one more quality first team player but unfortunately that seems unlikely for whatever reason.

Sorry, in my opinion it is poor....we had a golden opportunity but as usual we lack the ambition

Yes Afobe adds to our attack but let's see how good he is first....

If we lose Sako it will be a disaster of a transfer window

Right now it is just poor after a poor one in the summer

Reality check we came up as Champions....those who came up with us....are where?......yep reality check

Reality check we came up as Champions....those who came up with us....are where?......yep reality check

One of them two places above us and the other are fourth from bottom? Yes?

The Dingles AY WE Facebook page is a great pant wetting read tonight....

Question, does it show a lack of ambition to live within your means? What does lacking ambition mean? It is very clear the club sees ourselves as a Premier league club, KJ even said that promotion was the aim, so the ambition is there, just not potentially the means, or more importantly the recklessness to succeed at all costs. I for one have no real issue with that. If players joining us want premier league wages, then I am happy for them to have that when they get premiership football for us, not before.

Its not easy for Championship clubs to tempt very good talents during the January window. Which players signed by other clubs have Wolves missed out on?
I would have liked Forshaw, I quite like Austin who has randomly swapped one car crash for another, but don't think he's what we need.

Darren Bent is a good signing for Derby, but wouldn't be for us due to relative styles. Le Fondre is decent when interested, I'd have taken him as another forward option. Cholobah seems to have lost his way, but the player at Watford a couple of seasons ago would walk into our team.

Sorry, in my opinion it is poor....we had a golden opportunity but as usual we lack the ambition

We'll finish above both of them by the end of the season.

Define 'ambition'. After all we have just spent up to £3m on a striker.

Which the club have repeatedly stated they have. I doubt they want to stay in the Championship.

Paying lots of money or making lots of signings does not equate to ambition. The club wants to get in the premiership, it wouldn't be ambitious to adopt a shit or bust policy though, that would be fool hardy.

In the '90's we pissed money up the wall signing "big names" like Darren Anderton and the like....That went well

We are not pushing the boat out are we?

We got one....Afobe...an unproven striker.....if your impressed with the transfer dealing ......well i for one are not

Our dealings in the summer was poor

Our dealing this window has been poor

We lack ambition and are throwing away an opportunity...

Next year will be much harder

Have a word! How the fook are you writing off Afobe after 2 games?

15 points below us?

Back