• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Cardiff: A perfect rebound verdict thread

Just had a look on the Dark Side, and the number of posts moaning about the number of goals we should have scored.
We won, got 3 points, good performance after the first 10 minutes. Some people are never satisfied.

How dare their keeper make at least three lovely saves!

How dare their keeper make at least three lovely saves!

Think those saves have been a bit exaggerated from the highlights I saw. Assuming these are the ones...

Dendoncker when the ball just sort of hit him and trickled onto the post, you'd usually back someone to score the rebound where he was but Etheridge did well to get across his line and make a nuisance of himself, think a more seasoned finisher still beats him comfortably by going higher with the effort though.

Vinagre's effort was fairly comfortable, didn't hit it with that much conviction and was at a good heigh/reach for the keeper. Looked good but in reality was something you'd expect most keepers to make.

Jimenez's was just criminal finishing in my opinion, he just treated it like an open goal with no great placement or power behind it and Etheridge managed to block it without much bother, shouldn't have been giving the keeper any chance from there.

Thought the one from the corner was a very good save.

Agree on Jimenez one, that was a sitter that he was too casual with. Etheridge's reflexes were good but I just thought Raul was going to bury it at the time.

Agree on Jimenez one, that was a sitter that he was too casual with. Etheridge's reflexes were good but I just thought Raul was going to bury it at the time.
When you see the replay it's easy to see why Raul just rolled it towards goal as Etheridge is not on view as the 1st touch sent him the wrong way. So in that split second Raul is seeing an open goal. He should score but the recovery and reflexes from Etheridge is top notch.

I'd agree that the Dendoncker one is the best bit of goalkeeping of the three, though probably looks the least spectacular, but it's still a bit of a 'throw yourself in there and hope for the best'.

Essentially how I got through my time as a goalkeeper.

It's the only thing I have going for me in my 5-a-side stints in net, my reactions/reflexes are probably worse than my 90 year old nan's but if it's something I can anticipate I'm more than happy to just throw myself in there and hope it hits me.

Ruptured ACL for Bamba confirmed. It looked a bad one the moment he rolled over after taking Traore out in full flight.

Think those saves have been a bit exaggerated from the highlights I saw. Assuming these are the ones...

Dendoncker when the ball just sort of hit him and trickled onto the post, you'd usually back someone to score the rebound where he was but Etheridge did well to get across his line and make a nuisance of himself, think a more seasoned finisher still beats him comfortably by going higher with the effort though.

Vinagre's effort was fairly comfortable, didn't hit it with that much conviction and was at a good heigh/reach for the keeper. Looked good but in reality was something you'd expect most keepers to make.

Jimenez's was just criminal finishing in my opinion, he just treated it like an open goal with no great placement or power behind it and Etheridge managed to block it without much bother, shouldn't have been giving the keeper any chance from there.

Vinagre had two efforts, the second was a much better hit and after the first but oddly not included on MOTD.

7.46 on this: https://highlightsfootball.com/video/wolves-vs-cardiff-city-highlights-2/

Vinagre had two efforts, the second was a much better hit and after the first but oddly not included on MOTD.

7.46 on this: https://highlightsfootball.com/video/wolves-vs-cardiff-city-highlights-2/

That second Vinagre chance is a complete non-event, no keeper worth the name should be troubled by that, fairly narrow angle and the keeper just has to stand on his near post then raise his hands for an easy save.

Having seen it again the Jimenez chance is even worse than I first thought, his first touch completely takes the keeper and defender out of the game then he just kicks it at the keeper, it comes off his knee not even a part of his body he's actually able to move back towards the direction of the shot.

The raul miss was horrific, brilliant move to set up the shot, defender and keeper on their arse, he boots it directly into the keeper. Really needs to work on his finishing if he wants to become a world class striker

Eh? He has that Miss and the infamous one away at West Ham. I am struggling to think of anything else particularly glaring.

Eh? He has that Miss and the infamous one away at West Ham. I am struggling to think of anything else particularly glaring.

His first few games he wasnt clinical enough IMHO but since his Chelsea goal he has been happily sticking them away. It was a big miss against Cardiff but it was also a really top anticipation save from Etheridge who called it right and got there. The ball is almost behind him when he saves it.

Gv5QE8.gif

Etheridge saves the Raul chance, with his hand (wrist), not his knee. It's a great save but Raul should have scored, the ball should have gone into the far corner.
Give the keeper SOME credit, though

Jimenez kicks the ball at him, he should have no chance but it's a terrible finish.

I'm going to cut Raul some slack - he can't kick the ball properly because of the position of the defender's leg, so he sort of stabs at it. Should still have scored, but didn't Aguero miss an open goal the other week?

Back