• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Cardiff: A perfect rebound verdict thread

I think we can mostly agree that we have a very good problem with Jonny and Vinagre.

Jonny is the right choice against the better sides in this league - Vinagre is an sensible option against the Cardiff's of this world (& quite possibly Huddersfield earlier this week!)

Vinagre is a superb left back who can hold his own against the best in this league. He's been very unlucky to have Jonny & Doc ahead of him.

I felt like the changes freshened everything up a bit and dispelled any possible comfort zones that may or may not have been there.

Traore was very good, definitely improving but thought he was better in the first half as RWB than the second when he replaced Jota up top. He was still good but his finishing is diabolical.

Saiss had a good game providing a bit of aggression and always in the right place when we needed him.

Vinaigre was full of energy and ideas on the left, definitely provides a different option when he plays and that run on goal in the second half deserved a goal. Had it been 0-0 I would hope he'd pass to Jimenez.

Ruddy was capable having survived his early fumble which almost went over the line and would have changed the complexion of the game.

Jimenez was back to his rampaging best, his little backflicks are usually effective.

Cardiff weren't their usual shithouse thugs and offered little though at the end there were a few worrying moments when with better finishing they could have got back in.

A good afternoon's work, much changed line up, 3 points and a clean sheet.

Vinagre is a superb left back who can hold his own against the best in this league. He's been very unlucky to have Jonny & Doc ahead of him.

Bang on. I’d have no issues with him starting against anyone. Fuck me, we’ve had Matt Doherty starting against everybody this season and I’m not knocking him there as he’s been really good, but if we’re happy with that why on earth would we turn our noses up at Vinagre starting?

Vinagre has also shown himself to be more than capable against Chelsea and Liverpool. So much potential. I think we will get big money for him eventually.

That said, definitely start Jonny next week and in the cup!

excellent day. Thanks again to Johnny for the ticket, and also the company.

Every player was at least a 7/10 today, and think the squad will get a lot out of todays performance. MGW, Traore, Saiss, Vinagre, all the back 3 will have got a lot of confidence from that game.

Back 3 dominated today. Ruddys fumble aside, everything from cardiff came from outside the box, and wasn't on target.

All of Vinagre, Saiss and Dendoncker deserved to win motm. Boly was also superb I thought.

With Saiss dropping into the backline, we were pretty much a 4-2-4 for a lot of the game. Traore was good in his version of RWB (although no one seemed to trust him to take throw ins, which was odd, and Bennett taking them resulted in us being a bit lop sided), but as Lupo says he faded when playing up top with Raul. Thought Raul, though he had a good game tried a few too many flicks at times, but that might be a bit over critical.

Jota as ever was superb, and Vinagre improved with every minute of that game, he was superb in the 2nd half.

Cardiff didn't play the long ball for most of the game, and we completely controlled them.

Nice to finally meet DDW & Wolf Hunting for the first time, and also our Portugeezer friends.

After seeing MOTD, for the second goal why on Earth did Jimenez play his ball over the top for Jota? He had loads of room to play it exactly the same direction but along the floor to him.

What a marvelous day for a game.

Loved all of it! Can't wait for the next one.

As for the game, almost too easy. Easy does it. Clean passes and plays.

No contest today, simple win. Loved getting warnock hammered a bit.

What a great day at the office. So happy to see such a positive response to the last game.

It is great to see that NES is so happy to adapt. So many times we -and other teams- have had a great manager who just looses the plot after a bit. The team stays the same, players are shoe-horned into roles they are not suited for and the result is.... poor results.

NES seems to be able to cope with problems better than many others. It will continue and I believe he will get better at the same time the team does.

It's so exciting that we have a relatively young manager with a relatively young squad who is capable of making decisions only a brave, intelligent, knowledgeable and confident person could.

I thought the half time match yesterday was a really good idea. Got the crowd involved and the players clearly enjoyed it.

Sounds like a good performance and a comfortable win, a bit strange to hear that Cardiff didn’t make it difficult for us like they usually do but maybe we didn’t let them? Looking forward to watching the extended highlights of this one for sure.

Also, and might be slightly off topic, to all those who had a talk with me about the Benfica Porto match, couldn't do it. Kept on following it but wasn't really nervous. Benfica won and is now 1st in the league.

Very nice tip on 5he curry place as well! We're off to Manchester in a couple hours but this weekend was indeed awesome!

Whats the concensus on MGW's performance, he's had lots of criticism lately, I've seen varied reports from average to superb. My lads view was really good first half, faded a bit second till he was subbed

Also, and might be slightly off topic, to all those who had a talk with me about the Benfica Porto match, couldn't do it. Kept on following it but wasn't really nervous. Benfica won and is now 1st in the league.

Very nice tip on 5he curry place as well! We're off to Manchester in a couple hours but this weekend was indeed awesome!

Was great to catch up with you both Joel, enjoy Manchester

Does anyone know if there is a video of the half time game? Or the goals? I couldn’t go but my dad has mentioned how much fun it was (as have several tweets on my timeline)

Whats the concensus on MGW's performance, he's had lots of criticism lately, I've seen varied reports from average to superb. My lads view was really good first half, faded a bit second till he was subbed
Agree with that, he can still be oddly off his game / fade away, but first half he looked good. Especially when he got forward - a three of Jota, Raul and MGW behind looked like the future to me.

He should have scored when Vinagre crossed for him, but tried to flick it in rather than hitting it. Guy near me shouted FFS Gibbs-White, without realising his family sits in the box behind me. He knows now from the words and looks he got :)

Thought MGW played well, he is what he is, a talented kid that will sometimes be a world beater and sometimes be off the pace. As fans we need to be patient with him as he learns to play top flight football

The highlight of yesterday for me was watching two of Jeremy Kyle’s finest who sit near us trying to take in the João Moutinho song before attempting to sing it. Considering their main contributions are usually “fuck off you cunt” to opposition players you could see their tiny little brains whirring before they decided it probably wasn’t best to join in.

Highlight of yesterday was the 5 aside game at half time. Hilarious. The Wolves #8 was brilliant!

Back