• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Cardiff: A perfect rebound verdict thread

Delighted with that performance and the only negative is we didn’t score more.

For all the uncertainty from some of our fans when the team was announced, I’d like to see Adama and Vinny start in those positions every time we play sides from the bottom half of the table. Cardiff were scared to death of both of them and couldn’t handle them at all.

Vinny MOTM. Notable mentions for Saiss/Donk, Boly, Jota & Raul. MGW played well too.

No idea for the motm, could be any of Boly, Saiss, donk, Vinagre, Traore, jimenez and Jota. Possibly Coady too.

Idiotic moment of the match was Bennett taking the booking when he had Traore racing back to cover.

A really good performance overall, whilst we started sloppy and Cardiff were on top once we created our first decent chance it was all us.

Some things for me,

Jiminez/Jota - This partnership is just electric, wonderful interplay and just so threatening every time we went forward. Goals/assists fully deserved.
Traore - Had very little to do defensively but did make a few challenges, going forward my oh my Cardiff looked terrified. Whilst it still wasnt perfect you can see how much he is trying to improve the weaker aspects of his game and deservedly got a really nice reception when he went off. Very good signs here and I have no issue with him at RWB against the teams lower down the league.
Vinny - A very complete performance great going forward but looked like a much more experienced player than he is, some great crosses and runs but good tracking back and defended well. Jonny is a great player but should be sitting on the bench after this one for me irrespective of the opposition. This lad is going to be a star!!

MOTM - Jiminez, only just over Vinny but hes just so good sign him up!

Credit to Nuno for freshening things up by making changes that all seemed to pay off. It shows that we have options in the squad that can make a difference for weeks where we are playing more than once. To be where we are only 1 and 3/4 seasons after he took over shows what a special manager he is and how lucky we are to have him.

Massive credit to Nuno for this

He's learned how to deal with teams who play 4 narrow midfielders and changed our approach with a small squad

Im ashamed to say I've had a few doubts about Nuno this season, but he's proven to agile and can change based on what he's learned from earlier games

That first goal is just sublime, I’ll admit I winced slightly at the starting line up but fair play to Nuno tactically spot on and totally outwitted Colin.
One of the best displays by Adama and Vinagre was really positive to. The gap between the two sides showed big time today, Cardiff had nowhere to go in the end and barely threatened.

Interesting to see a, generally, positive matchday thread too. When we played well. Surprising, that...

Interesting to see a, generally, positive matchday thread too. When we played well. Surprising, that...

That's because Nuno had a serious look at himself after Huddersfield Jinky! Id have picked the team that Nuno did Tuesday night but maybe a few did need a rest hence the poor performance.

Traore in full flow is fantastic to watch - and as well as the slaloming runs through players, he passed it well, worked hard defensively, and his hold up play was excellent - Shame his shooting was so poor, else that would have been a complete performance.

Similar for Vinagre, having that much pace on both sides must be a nightmare for teams to face, I thought he was excellent and great to see him getting game time, he has a big future.

Jota and Raúl were great again, a proper partnership, and MGW. Did well from midfield. I thought Donk was quiet, but he and Saiss gave a great base for us to spring forward from.

Bennett should probably have got a second yellow and a red for that foul at the end of the first half, he was lucky, and it was unnecessary- the commentators said he will miss two league games but be available for Utd in the cup, I hope they’re right.

Oh, and Ruddy had a good game too, albeit his kicking wasn’t that great either!

A really good day, the most comfortable win over Cardiff I’ve seen.

good lord that first goal was sublime. second was very well taken too, jota/jiminez just work better and better together

vinagre had a fantastic game. worst you can say is he maybe should've picked a different option on a few final pass/shots.

traore did very well. didn't make a dozen sliding tackles or anything but tracked back well, stopped several crosses from happening, and was of course great going forward. he was much better from the back versus when he moved up top in the 2nd half.

as I said in the buildup thread, perfectly happy whenever saiss is in the side. his tidy no-nonsense play would've done us some good versus huddersfield.

we seemed lot more negative once moutinho came on, not sure if that was the plan or if he just kept hoofing it back. MGW was always driving forward and had a pretty good game (though started to be careless in the 2nd), which is nice to see after his recent lackluster substitutions.

ruddy had a few good bits of play at the start of the game when we weren't in rhythm yet, then the defense made sure he wasn't overly troubled after.

MOTM Vinaldo

good performance. everyone earned their spot. worked hard on the ball, well organized, looked for the passes forward (most of which came off). total 180 from the last match.

No idea for the motm, could be any of Boly, Saiss, donk, Vinagre, Traore, jimenez and Jota. Possibly Coady too.

Idiotic moment of the match was Bennett taking the booking when he had Traore racing back to cover.

I actually thought he was unlucky to get booked, Reid made a meal of it, it looked a lot worse than it was. I thought Jota for m.o.m today, great movement and awareness, but as you say it could have been any of them.

Saïss motm. He was excellent.

Nuno has made a few mistakes this season (starting line ups or subs) but he is still learning as much as the team is - got it right today and all played their part with some being more stand out than others.

This is still a incredibly successful season - the best team I have seen for us since the 1970's and the league (& it's finances) have moved massively since that time

Just bring on MU in the Cup now - and the twelfth man at Molineux (i.e. us) need to play our part in making this as uncomfortable as we can for them.

I actually thought he was unlucky to get booked, Reid made a meal of it, it looked a lot worse than it was. I thought Jota for m.o.m today, great movement and awareness, but as you say it could have been any of them.

That one was soft though 1 yellow was probably correct as the second one (that he didn't get) was.

Nuno has made a few mistakes this season (starting line ups or subs) but he is still learning as much as the team is - got it right today and all played their part with some being more stand out than others.

This is still a incredibly successful season - the best team I have seen for us since the 1970's and the league (& it's finances) have moved massively since that time

Just bring on MU in the Cup now - and the twelfth man at Molineux (i.e. us) need to play our part in making this as uncomfortable as we can for them.

43 points

Not going down

I say we go all out for the cup.

Real real headache for Nuno for Chelsea.

A few cans in on the train, I genuinely don’t know what he does.

I listened to a good opinion of us earlier in the season which said we were excellent at creating chaos, and that works well against the bigger sides as chaos means the bigger sides can’t control the game/result in the way they normally would.

I dare say in recent weeks we’ve got a bit less chaotic.

Put it this way: the way we played today creates chaos.

Excelent from the 10th minute onwards. In total control.

Should have scored more but a couple of poor decisions from Traore/Vinagre and a couple of good saves.

Traore at RWB worked very well, would be happy for more of that against defensive teams. He didn't do so well when moved up front though I thought. That Jota-Jimenez partnership is something else.

MOTM could have been Saiss or Jimenez or Vinagre or a couple more. Be fascinating to see our next team selection now.

Oh and FUCk OFF COLIN

Wanker. That's for dissing Nuno!

Back