• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 -3 QPR Verdict thread.

We were the better team for 35 minutes and then dropped off, Afobe stopped getting into deeper positions when we didn't have the ball and we became a narrow rigid 4-4-2 and it just left gaps for QPR to exploit. Having said that Martinez should saved both the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Jackett has confirmed Dicko wasn't injured and wanted to be compact, if that's the case it should have been Ojo or VLP on and go to a 4-2-3-1 with Edwards in the hole behind Afobe.

Dicko and Afobe with the system seems to work as they are both fluid, where as le Fondre isn't that sort, if we go 442 with him then it needs to be a 4 wide 442, that way Afobe will still be able to drive deep to get the ball if he wants and we can have the other striker sitting deep. Interesting to see what happens Saturday as the BBC said Dicko was removed due to injury? and ALF I presume can't play against Cardiff?

That's bonkers from Kenny. As you say definitely should have been 4231. I'd argue we should start that way. Thought Dicko wasn't in the game today or Sunday.

Dicko and Afobe with the system seems to work as they are both fluid, where as le Fondre isn't that sort, if we go 442 with him then it needs to be a 4 wide 442, that way Afobe will still be able to drive deep to get the ball if he wants and we can have the other striker sitting deep. Interesting to see what happens Saturday as the BBC said Dicko was removed due to injury? and ALF I presume can't play against Cardiff?

KJ said it was tactical and that there's no injury.

That's bonkers from Kenny. As you say definitely should have been 4231. I'd argue we should start that way. Thought Dicko wasn't in the game today or Sunday.

We do sort of play that as long as Afobe or Dicko get back in there when we lose the ball, when they stop doing that we are far too wide open and it's no different with this formation than it was with a 442 with wide players. They stopped doing that at 2-0 and it was crying out for a midfielder to go behind a striker not a striker dropping in to a midfielders position.

We do sort of play that as long as Afobe or Dicko get back in there when we lose the ball, when they stop doing that we are far too wide open and it's no different with this formation than it was with a 442 with wide players. They stopped doing that at 2-0 and it was crying out for a midfielder to go behind a striker not a striker dropping in to a midfielders position.

True, but if Edwards is that man behind, you maintain a pseudo goal threat and it affords you the option to have a more attacking player out wide such as VLP

True, but if Edwards is that man behind, you maintain a pseudo goal threat and it affords you the option to have a more attacking player out wide such as VLP

Well yeah exactly and that's what should have happened at half time. For what it's worth VLP did ok when we got the ball to him quickly but there was 4 or 5 times he wanted it early yet we decided to finally give it him when he had 2 on him.

Now I'm no nostrildoormouse but just before they scored their 1st I said to the bloke next to me that we will lose
This tonight.
Qpr had slung a few crosses into the box and seemed to have too much space when their midfield attacked.
Coupled with a nervy back 4 you could just see something happening.
That said the Qpr backine were awful in those first 30 mins and the match could have ended up 5-5 looking back at the misses\saves on both sides.

Thought Alf played ok,always moving and looking for the ball and seemed to get stuck in.
Cant be doing with us attacking in the last ten minutes and as the ball is put into the box Afobe is near the touchline
nowhere near the play.

KJ said it was tactical and that there's no injury.

In which case this one is on KJ as much as the 'keeper. I thought Jackett lacked foresight tonight. At 2-1 at HT he should have shored up the game with Price for Edwards and pushed VlP or Ojo on for Dicko to counter QPR going wide more often. Piss poor management IMO.

Having said that the first 30 odd minutes had some scintillating stuff in there, McD, Coady, Edwards and Afobe were almost unplayable as QPR couldn't fathom what was going on. As soon as they did though Jackett had no response and that's telling. A simple change to put Price on would have stopped Phillips drifting inside from wide. I agree with NWW as I thought Iorfa lacked concentration tonight and allowed several easy crosses in. Poor old Martinez, he was abysmal all night.

YW's analysis is pretty spot on. A cracking game of football to boot but we should've come up with all 3 points. Afobe really is a class act and McD was outstanding for 30 minutes but anonymous for the second 45.

We lack left side width at times and Edwards doesnt give that. For all his endeavour . The substitution of Henry baffled me. Lets say he and Edwards were having a similar game the problem was that there was no width left. So swapping your width right for another width right did not solve the problem. What is the point of Ojo if he doesnt get a game in a team so obviously lacking width left? Ok I hear what is being said plenty of time etc blah blah but there are only 11 days left of this window. We still lack a bit of nouse, we are not defending well enough and we are not clinical enough with our chances. All of which were highlighted by a number of different posters before a ball was kicked

Well yeah exactly and that's what should have happened at half time. For what it's worth VLP did ok when we got the ball to him quickly but there was 4 or 5 times he wanted it early yet we decided to finally give it him when he had 2 on him.
Yes..noticed that and vlp seems to be faster than last season too.
Where as Dicko has definitely lost some of his sharpness ever since that injury last season...he hasn't been the same player since.

In which case this one is on KJ as much as the 'keeper. I thought Jackett lacked foresight tonight. At 2-1 at HT he should have shored up the game with Price for Edwards and pushed VlP or Ojo on for Dicko to counter QPR going wide more often. Piss poor management IMO.

Having said that the first 30 odd minutes had some scintillating stuff in there, McD, Coady, Edwards and Afobe were almost unplayable as QPR couldn't fathom what was going on. As soon as they did though Jackett had no response and that's telling. A simple change to put Price on would have stopped Phillips drifting inside from wide. I agree with NWW as I thought Iorfa lacked concentration tonight and allowed several easy crosses in. Poor old Martinez, he was abysmal all night.

YW's analysis is pretty spot on. A cracking game of football to boot but we should've come up with all 3 points. Afobe really is a class act and McD was outstanding for 30 minutes but anonymous for the second 45.

[emoji106]

It only needed one sub and that was a winger for Dicko and to put Edwards behind Afobe. You still have the threat from the middle then but you also have the work rate to get back into the midfield 3. Price would have helped stop QPR but also not given us the support for Afobe in central areas.

I agree with both you and NWW, i'm a big fan of Iorfa but he was pretty poor tonight and McDonald and Coady were both very good for the first 35 minutes and then were both anonymous afterwards, playing far too many backwards passes and not getting close enough to QPR.

Just seen the goals on the TV after getting back. First goal you just have to accept its a good goal I think. Iorfa has shown him down the line on his weaker foot and he's whipped in a peach. Then Golbourne Vs is Austin is just a huge mismatch and Austin has banged it in. The second looks worse than it did live, Shocker. Although the 3rd is even worse.

Impossible to keep your place after that surely!

Just seen the goals on the TV after getting back. First goal you just have to accept its a good goal I think. Iorfa has shown him down the line on his weaker foot and he's whipped in a peach. Then Golbourne Vs is Austin is just a huge mismatch and Austin has banged it in. The second looks worse than it did live, Shocker. Although the 3rd is even worse.

Impossible to keep your place after that surely!

I agree on the first goal, good cross and a very good header. Second goal McDonald and Edwards both follow the same runner and that gives Phillips too much room to have the shot but Martinez should save it. Third goal Hause gives it away but then Coady rushes in first to Luongo and then to Phillips far too quickly and then Martinez should save it again. For me he keeps his place as i think it will kill him if Kenny drops him and he looked good on Sunday.

I think Young Wolf has it right. After everyone critiicising Kenny for leaving it too late to bring on Le Fondre I was not in the least surprised when the substitution was made at half time, Dicko hadn't been very effective. I think we were still confident at that time. I was surprised when Le Fondre was put in the number 10 role and Afobe went right up front I think we lost out there, it was the wrong way round. I was amazed at Martinez letting both the 2nd and 3rd goals in. Hause was stupid to needlessly lose the ball in the lead up to the 3rd goal. I was right behind the line of the 3rd goal and the ball did not swerve, was not deflected, and was not right in the corner. I assumed Martinez was unsighted but it never have been let in. With our first 30 minutes dominance we should have won very easily.

I was directly behind it in the north bank. It swerved a lot, but it was predictable swerve not wobble. If he stands still and doesn't assume he is bending it far corner it goes straight at him. The big step left and he's in a terrible situation, even then he gets a big hand to it.

From what I could hear, it seemed that in the 1st half we were so on top because of the intuitive manner that Dicko had with Afobe, their knowledge of knowing where the other is running etc and that QPR had 4 men trying to nail them down, which it seemed gave us more space to operate like that.
But when le Fondre came on that intuition wasn't there, that knowledge of the other's positioning wasn't so solid, there was a slower understanding of each other, plus the difference in the way Le Fondre plays with Afobe allowed them to only play two at the back which gave them more options to put pressure on us which they exploited very well.

At least that was how it came across...
Have we been out tacticed again?

Gutted by tonights game. We started fine lively and.confident we got our two goals then we started to pass around with not much forward motion just possessing the ball, as usual this turned to misplaced passes. Then a Wolves special manage to look nervous after in the lead. Inevitably they scored before half time and we couldn't wrestle back control. So we went in nervous having given them a lifeline and they went in on top and after giving away.2-0 lead at the weekend buoyed and determined to make it up after the managers half time team talk.kenny's talk would have been the harder as we had definitely got our heads down. Second.half sub ALF on Dicko off, I suspected Dicko had taken a knock as he was not his.best but industrious up to then. The substitution didn't work as the game wasn't about our.forwards second half. Hause was having a mare second half macdonald lost confidence and played too many tight balls. Iorfa was putting in loads of.effort but nothing come off for him, Stears was good Coady was hapless, Edwards worked hard as usual with not much reward second half. Golbourne was decentish. Obviously the keeper has cost us first his kicking became wayward then he had no outlets one time he had the.ball in his hands looking to pass out quickly not one player was looking towards him. It got more.and more nervous and two goalkeeper errors threw the match away in fairness the 3rd goal should have been disallowed for a foul in the build up. Ref was rubbish amazingly made us retake a throw which we had returned to them after an injury. We don't look like.we.have much belief and we never put teams away always choosing to pass.the.ball backwards and sideways allowing them back in. Just three games gone though I.still think top.10

3rd goal did swerve quite a lot saw it then and just watched goals online for

Back