• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-0 Everton: Verdict Thread

Every manager gets things wrong - that is why the league is brilliant as anyone can beat anyone else on their day. My point is that this forum (in the main) wrote Gary off from the start. Now they are struggling to admit they were wrong. With exceptions.
Don't think this is true. Many were disappointed with his appointment, mainly due to his lack of experience and also Bournemouth fans were less than impressed.
He didn't show much in the way of tactics early on and I think most after the Ipswich game thought he was out of his depth.
From the the City game he clearly showed improvement and apart from a few games where we went backwards a bit, he's continued to learn on the job quite well. He really seems to have the dressing room behind him and I think 90% of this forum are pleased to be proved wrong so far and are fully behond him.

Every manager gets things wrong - that is why the league is brilliant as anyone can beat anyone else on their day. My point is that this forum (in the main) wrote Gary off from the start. Now they are struggling to admit they were wrong. With exceptions.
It’s not a case of ‘every manager gets things wrong’. It’s the fact that a relative Novice with one previous job, so no track record to speak of, got the job, and then it didn’t start great. Ofcourse questions were asked, and rightly so.

I wasn’t as negative as others, but most definitely underwhelmed. I am, and I’d imagine the rest of the ‘doubters’ are thrilled with the current state of things, with GoN performing above most of our expectations.

As the start of the season showed though, football can change very quickly.

Things look promising currently, and fingers crossed GoN continues as he is.

Superb performance and we seem to have hit on that precious commodity of togetherness. It’s an impressive job from GON.
giphy.webp

All agreed it was a sensational watch. Therefore, last on MOTD. After Palace.

I understand it though, there was no jeopardy in our game at all, they didn't even have a shot on target.
Sound reasoning won’t placate me! The one plus side is that when I wake up in the middle of whatever film is on afterwards I’ll at least have also missed the ‘thoughts’ of Martin Keown.

I couldn't find how to linl the video. A great example of some of our football today

That highlights the change over the last 3 games. Always looking to get forward through quick angled passing and off the ball movement.

It's got the best out of Sarabia, Gomes, Lemina and Cunha.

The Burnley and Forest games were turgid shite with the return of the horseshoe of doom and West Ham was a mess.

But this style, tempo and attitude is something I didn't think a GoN managed side could do and it's miles better than anything he's produced this season to date. I hope he sticks with it, the players clearly love it.

Last edited:
It’s not a case of ‘every manager gets things wrong’. It’s the fact that a relative Novice with one previous job, so no track record to speak of, got the job, and then it didn’t start great. Ofcourse questions were asked, and rightly so.

I wasn’t as negative as others, but most definitely underwhelmed. I am, and I’d imagine the rest of the ‘doubters’ are thrilled with the current state of things, with GoN performing above most of our expectations.

As the start of the season showed though, football can change very quickly.

Things look promising currently, and fingers crossed GoN continues as he is.
He had such little time with the team I do not see how he could have started much better than he has. Plus those bad decisions against us.

Well I've given him the benefit of the doubt, having Utd, Brighton, Liverpool, City, Newcastle and Villa up first. So am definitely expecting results when we host Palace and Luton and the like down the stretch

I don't think this is fair, pretty much everyone on here who weren't impressed with him early in the season (myself included) is delighted with our points tally and current form and have said so.

Plenty have said they have been proved wrong.

At the end of the day, every person on here wants Wolves to do well - we're all on the same side here.
I do think some are waiting for things to go wrong though, just so they'll have been proven right in the end...

There is a unifying outpouring of positivity following this result and performance though - very rare, the like if which we've not enjoyed since Nuno's promotion season.

Last edited:
90% of you wrote off Gary - that is a fact. We are playing great football under him - fact. You are rude - fact.
Not sure why you're spoiling for a fight when the thrust of everyone's argument is "I wouldn't have picked him, he started pretty poorly which looked ominous and now he's doing really well so fair play". But whatever makes you tick.

Absolutely delighted. Fair play GON. When appointed I though we had dropped a massive bollock and would be replacing him around now with us sat in 17th at best.

Massively, massively overachieved against my expectations and we are playing some fabulous stuff.

The humble pie tastes fucking marvellous when you get to watch a free flowing, expansive, exciting Wolves side as the punishment. Cheers Gary, I’m raising a pot of cold one to you just now!

90% of you wrote off Gary - that is a fact. We are playing great football under him - fact. You are rude - fact.
I’m not afraid to acknowledge I was wrong and I’m pretty fucking delighted to do so.

I’m just not sure what you get from picking people apart for what they though at the time of the appointment as it seems you haven’t seen enough humble pie munched.

It makes you look worse than your attempted targets

Back