• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-1 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Sniffer

Staff member
Reaction score

Fire away.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_175030.jpg
    IMG_20220115_175030.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Managed the second half really well bar about 5 or so crazy minutes near the end.

Some very good individual performances across the board. Two assists for RAN. Raul was much better today I thought. Joao was wonderful again. Kilman just keeps getting better. Sa with more important saves.

Toti being chucked in like that and performing as solidly as that, fair play to the lad. Think he has plenty to offer too to be honest.

Great win without Neves and a debutant in the defence. Ref was looking for the 'most bent ref ever' in the first half but was better in the second.

Rode our luck at times but took our chances, I was raging at Traore when he took that chance away from Pod just before he went on to score but he made up for it with a great goal. Pod, Semedo and Mout were excellent but RAN MoTM for me, great performance and his delivery for the second was superb. Some top saves from Sa too.

Edge of the seat stuff towards the end but thoroughly enjoyed that, just hated the fact I couldn't be there.

Much better 2nd half. Everyone played well bar Trincao. Toti was decent and didn't look out of his depth. Nice little cameo from Silva too. Might be a player there after all.

Extremely well done, everyone played their part, Pod just doesn't stop running does he? and if Fabio keeps maturing at the current rate, he is going to be special one day :)

Soton created some really good chances and on another day we probably don't win that....but we did!

Back 3 did well but I thought we were a little light in midfield, pod worked hard to help out but I think trincao needs to be doing more.

I'd really like us to sign a midfielder better than donk.

Southampton have been excellent recently, very well coached, so that’s a quality result. Especially as we did all kinds of daft things

Make no mistake, that’s a hell of a performance and result against a tough opposition without Neves & Saiss.

Sa, Kilman & Coady were all outstanding. Podence, Moutinho, Semedo & RAN all class too. Toti was a credit to himself today being thrown in like that. Couple of occasions where he just got rid rather then letting Sa come and collect - but those are forgivable and he covered really well when Semedo had a moment to let Saints in.

Would love us to bring in another midfield option because Donk (and maybe Trincao) was our only weak link (maybe a bit harsh, but he’s a level below the other options there).

Really pleased for Adama. If he was that composed all the time we’d have some player on our hands, but delighted he got a goal. Raul worked hard and Fabio again shone off the bench.

We are looking really solid at the moment. Absolute credit to Bruno Lage and his team for that. Couple of astute January signings and then the return of Neto, Jonny & Hwang and who knows where we might end up this season? One satisfied fan here. Gonna crack open a cold one!

I don't think the scoreline really reflects the game, could quite easily have been a draw. We never really seemed to get hold of the game and control possession at any point in the game. But we scored 3 which was fantastic. Some stellar performances, in particular Kilman, Sa and Semedo. Toti did extremely well for a debut, never looked out of place and did everything asked of him. Traore missed when he should have left it for Pod, but moments later took his goal with uncharacteristic cool. Once again I thought Fabio did really, really well when he came on. He looks like he is starting to get to grips with this league. Put himself about, showed some good strength and skill, and was unlucky with his shot just before the Adama miss.

3 points, I think we are safe from relegation...

xG looks really weird 2.3 Vs 0.9

It felt like Soton had some really good chances

Rode our luck for sure...Southampton could and probably should have scored at least 1 from open play, both WBs got caught ball watching on crosses from the opposite flank (RAN in the first, Semedo in the second) yet somehow we got away with it. Felt a bit scrappy, we created some decent opportunities first half but nothing really came off.

Pleasing though as that was the first time in a while I've felt we were really under the cosh, once they scored you could feel the momentum building and we could've easily lost the lead entirely. They stuck at it though and wouldn't you know it, up pops Adama with a well taken goal (!)

Sa, Kilman, Coady and Mout all excellent. And Gomes deserves a mention on his debut, not easy to slot to a settled side but he did well, nice to see him getting congratulated at the end.

Starting to open up a bit of a gap to the pack below us now which is very encouraging, top 10 is definitely looking on at a minimum if we can avoid injuries etc.

-edit- forgot about Fabio, he was lively again and did well.

Good solid performance. Standouts for me were Kilman and Moutinho. Moutinho just reads the game so we’ll, knows when to push and drop, knows instinctively where his teammates are. Undoubtedly the best player in my 50+ years watching Wolves.

Contrary to some I thought Donk did fine and Gomez had a very accomplished debut. Sa is proving to be an outstanding signing.

Last edited:
Cheers Sniffer. Forgot to start the thread as I was at the game.

A terrific battling win for us. They had possession and chances (that one that hit the bar at 2-1! :eek: ), but we fought our way to victory and thank christ Traore settled it and stopped us suffering in injury time. 6 mins FFS was absolute nonsense too.

Great result and keeps us up there in the table.

RAN, Sa and Kilman my joint MOTM. Thought they were all top class.

I didn't realise Soton were 5 unbeaten coming into this game and they'd just pumped Brentford 4-1.

Great to hear the crowd really backing Bruno too (y)

Great to hear the crowd really backing Bruno too (y)
Hopefully Jeff was listening. As I say, couple of astute signings in this window with the players returning from injury and he could do something special.

I didn't realise Soton were 5 unbeaten coming into this game and they'd just pumped Brentford 4-1.
Think that's why the first 20 minutes were so rough. They were still riding high.

You can see why, they played well. Just no cutting edge.

Still hard to believe that we let JWP take, what, 16 set pieces? And we only conceded when he pulled out a damn Roberto Carlos knuckler.

Back