• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Leeds build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
We beat Leeds earlier in the season by sitting deep and soaking up their midfield runners. We'll probably do the same again first half at least.

We beat Leeds earlier in the season by sitting deep and soaking up their midfield runners. We'll probably do the same again first half at least.
I bloody hope not. We’re shite at it at the moment.

We started with a 352 (Neto in the midfield three) and really struggled. We shifted Neto to the right and played Podence on the left and it suited us so much better. In the second half we played well from what I remember, took the game to them and created some decent openings.

------------------Rui------------
Semedo--Coady---Saiss----Jonny
------------Vitinha-----Neves------
Neto---Podence(if fit)/MGW--Traore
------------------WJ------------
That one for me. We won’t play it though.

I can't see that. They have 4 days on the training pitch this week. Probably the most consecutive days they have had for a while, and the temps are supposed to be 11 to 13 deg c. That will help too. Hopefully they work on WJ's positioning.
fair point, depends on how Nuno see's Jose performances so far, if he thinks he can get more out of him. Personally I'd start Jose, at least for the next couple of games....I'd like to see Silva bought on for more than 2 minutes though, he came on at about 60 minutes against Leicester and personally though he did ok, almost won it for us bar a great save.

fair point, depends on how Nuno see's Jose performances so far, if he thinks he can get more out of him. Personally I'd start Jose, at least for the next couple of games....I'd like to see Silva bought on for more than 2 minutes though, he came on at about 60 minutes against Leicester and personally though he did ok, almost won it for us bar a great save.
I think giving fabio 20 to 30 mins a game will help him. It just depends on how WJ is performing. He's (WJ) not been as good as i hoped he was going to be, but there are a few circumstances for that.

The key to beating Leeds is all about the press and when you do or don't. They're a pretty unique side with a style that lots of teams can't cope with but they have pretty average players overall hence why they usually get beaten by the better sides. Press them at the right time as a team in defensive areas and they give you the ball back and you have to take advantage, do it individually and you leave spaces for them to attack in numbers and they spread you out by making the pitch very wide.

I still want us to go to 4 at the back but not sure Nuno is comfortable with that right now so guess it will be 5 again but if we are aggressive with the press at the right time we win whether we play 4 or 5. It's not just that simple but we are definitely capable of doing it. Selection wise i'd play one of Vitinha, MGW or Otasowie instead in Joao, not sure which one though but we need to see all 3 get some game time before the season is over personally.

The key to beating Leeds is all about the press and when you do or don't. They're a pretty unique side with a style that lots of teams can't cope with but they have pretty average players overall hence why they usually get beaten by the better sides. Press them at the right time as a team in defensive areas and they give you the ball back and you have to take advantage, do it individually and you leave spaces for them to attack in numbers and they spread you out by making the pitch very wide.

I still want us to go to 4 at the back but not sure Nuno is comfortable with that right now so guess it will be 5 again but if we are aggressive with the press at the right time we win whether we play 4 or 5. It's not just that simple but we are definitely capable of doing it. Selection wise i'd play one of Vitinha, MGW or Otasowie instead in Joao, not sure which one though but we need to see all 3 get some game time before the season is over personally.
I'm sure the tacticians will be looking at the game film from their latest tonking at Arsenal for clues. You'd hope so anyway.

no worries the team psychologist is furiously taking notes of the game film as we speak

Good post, exactly how it works..either you press high up as a team or you lay low as a team..everything in between will be half-hearted and not successful

I'd still rather play 4 at the back but after today some continuity of ideas is required IMO.

So for that reason we should go 3-4-2-1:

Rui

Donk - Coady - Marcal

Semedo - Vitinha - Neves - Jonny

Neto - Traore

Jose

But of course it'll be the same XI barring any injuries. Let's just hope the set-up is the second half version from today and we don't revert back to 3-4-3.
This is what I would go for. You're right, though - he'll pick the same 11 as yesterday.

I go with the old saying. Don't change a winning side. A bit of continuity won't do any harm.

If we take anything from watching vids of Leeds matches that is put their keeper under a degree of pressure. Nearly every game I have seen of theirs he gives the ball away in his own area trying simple passes

I go with the old saying. Don't change a winning side. A bit of continuity won't do any harm.
I'd add, don't change a winning change to the formation too. The way Pedro and Adama lined up in the 2nd half made all the difference to how we performed

If we take anything from watching vids of Leeds matches that is put their keeper under a degree of pressure. Nearly every game I have seen of theirs he gives the ball away in his own area trying simple passes
I look forward to the amazing pressing game of Willian Joké.

I'm still on the fence with him, he's shown very little and the body language is questionable but in the 4/5 games he's played, we've tried to attack for about 45 mins so can see why he'd be pissed off

I'm still on the fence with him, he's shown very little and the body language is questionable but in the 4/5 games he's played, we've tried to attack for about 45 mins so can see why he'd be pissed off
My body language would be "hugely fucked off" if was watching the ball go wide, then if I am lucky watch the ball being spannered over my head.

I think in all his appearances he has had 2 decent crosses and they were both in the same game. Yesterday was the first time we properly got players around him. I want to see more from him, a lot more but the 2nd half yesterday was the first time we have managed to include him properly in our play

He looks fine when you get players close to him. He's not a mobile striker like Raul so when our wingers are stood out on the touchline he has so little support. He's strong and he links well with those around him, and he allows Fabio to come out of the firing line for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back