• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Leeds build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I don't hate anyone (well apart from one guy I worked with 20 years ago, he was an utter cunt).

I think Fabio will probably be a good player, he just doesn't haven't the physical attributes to play now. Being outpaced by JWP is definitely not a good look - I reckon even i might give him a go in a race.
The guy does need a mf'ing montage

He's started 6 league games so far. We're not in Victorian workhouse territory just yet...

I respect what you're saying about WJ. I don't think he's looked much cop but I can personally cut him a little slack as he's been chucked into a fatigued and slightly dysfunctional set-up. There's a lot of room for improvement, I grant you.

As for Fabio, it wouldn't kill him if we were forced to start him for the rest of the season, but I think having WJ gives Nuno the chance to get back to the set-up he'd probably envisaged for this season; a senior striker and Fabio to supplement appropriately, which can only be a good thing.

Would Fabio benefit in the medium to long term from playing the next 14 games? If Nuno thinks the answer is yes then play him. Personally I don't think it is and if the next 14 games are like the last 14 will do more harm than good

Last edited:
Willian Jose hasn't had a great deal of clear cut chances created for him, he was never going to have a lot, that was clear before we signed him.

For me he has been underwhelming, a few glimpses of his hold up play but I was expecting a bit more. He might improve a bit as he settles, Spiers was saying he's in a hotel still so it can't be ideal for him.

There are 14 league games left now, for some of them towards the back end of the season, Raul might be back so there will come a point in the not too distant future where WJ performances will have to go up several levels. Otherwise at the age he is there is no way Wolves pay £22m for him - and if they do come to that judgement we may as well give Silva the game time, Silva will benefit from the minutes and is actually our player.

I'm not writing Jose off completely yet but if we aren't going to sign him permanently which looks less likely with every passing game then there is literally no better time to give Silva some games when there is hardly any chance of relegation or Europe.

If we were talking about a full back, or even a second striker, I'd be more comfortable giving Fabio the majority of remaining starts, but that single striker role is so demanding, he's better off having having WJ as a buffer imo

I think that's why we paid £35m for Silva, he's able to sniff out significant opportunities in a team that is creating very little.

Rui
Donk Coady Saiss
Semedo Neves Otasowie Jonny
Neto Jose Traore

If Jose gets five goals by the end of the season, I reckon he’ll have done exceptionally well.
The odds are stacked against him.
Different country; culture; language (although plenty of others at Wolves to speak Portuguese); new team mates; new tactics to learn.
Probably the most difficult league in the football world. The relentless pace of the EPL will take a lot of getting used to.
He is now separated from his family and living in a hotel in the English Midlands in midwinter.
Not entirely surprising that it’s taking time for him to assimilate.
Certainly no one forced him to come here. He is a professional footballer and no doubt well paid for doing a job many of us would love to be able to do.
But I think he does need a bit of time, and patience on our part.
The service he’s had in the six games he’s played in hasn’t been that good.
In my view Jose should be starting all the rest of the games, fitness permitting, with Fabio coming on for the last 10/15 mins of some of those games.

Raul got 11 non penalty goals first season in 38 games. So a goal every 3.5.

13 in 38 season 2. Goal every 3 games.

3 in 9 this year ( not counting Arsenal). Goal every 3 again.

Ignoring all the other variables like joining a dysfunctional, poorer team, in January with no pre season to get used to his team mates/style etc. If he scores 5 goals then he’s basically matching Raul’s typical output.

I’m not saying that would mean we should sign him, but he can’t really be expected to do much more than that.

How many of those are left for Raul to create himself though? Certainly all 4 this season. I watched Maja's goals yesterday, Wolves wouldn't have scored the first as nobody would have been there and debatable the second even though it's a tap in. To really progress we need Raul +1 up front either in formation or in the box, which boringly brings me back to 3412/4231 again

Last edited:
Raul has scored 4 this season, none of them pens.

I can appreciate that we're hardly creating tons of chances for José. It's more that he never ever moves, never shows for the ball, never attacks crosses and actively hides in positions where it's impossible to receive a pass. None of that is encouraging.

Did I imagine it then or did I see WJ helping out the LB at one point by shadowing a Southampton player, and having done that he shot back to being up front?

I can appreciate that we're hardly creating tons of chances for José. It's more that he never ever moves, never shows for the ball, never attacks crosses and actively hides in positions where it's impossible to receive a pass. None of that is encouraging.
Transfermarkt lying to me the bastards.

On the crosses. Obviously had none v Chelsea but since then that has mainly be down to either him picking the wrong area to go to or our players not looking where he or others are. best example is v Leicester, when Neto did some stunning work and got into the area and Jose went near post and Neto put the cross perfectly for the invisible man we had had at the far post. Not a lot you can do in that situation.
We did actually put a decent cross in for him v Palace and he attacked that and the shot was decent but to close to the keeper. Same when he attacked the corner to win the header.
Yesterday he was telling Neto where to put a ball and it was put 8 yards behind him.

How many of those are left for Raul to create himself though? Certainly all 4 this season. I watched Maja's goals yesterday, Wolves wouldn't have scored the first as nobody would have been there and debatable the second even though it's a tap in. To really progress we need Raul +1 up front either in formation or in the box, which boringly brings me back to 3412/4231 again
In a 343 it should be your CF, opposite forward and opposite WB. Or if a WB is crossing it all 3 forwards. Problem is Semedo and Traore don’t attack anything either.

In a 4 atb it will most likely he CF, #10 and opposite winger. The men in the box is unlikely to be any different in either. Unless your Liverpool and you have 3 forwards, opposite FB and at least one CM attacking the box.

Fuck. 2 whole pages and Otasowie wasn't mentioned once! Apart from in TP team selection. You are slacking people.... :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the keep playing Jose for the rest of the season camp, with cameos from Fabio. It's not like he's given 10 crosses a game to score. Like someone else said even Harry "Jacques Cousteau" Kane would do nothing with the way we've been set up recently.
Let's hope Nuno's eureka moment lasts longer than 60 seconds...

What’s happened to the “dirty Leeds” tag?
Are they the latest shiny media toy and thus respectable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back