• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Claims to Fame

I assume potted is a synonym for pocketed? In any case that sounds pretty interesting. Not sure why that wouldn't have caught on at all over here.

The differences in the English language.

Potted: Something a plant has had done to it or the past tense of a good shot in snooker. As in 'I've just potted the plant dear, now I'm off for a game of snooker'

Pocketed: Fleecing a bookie or the past tense of knocking a pool ball into said pocket. As in 'I had £20 on Spain to win 10-0 against Tahti at odds of 100-1 now I've pocketed £2000 off the bookies, a right fleecing. Now I'm off for a game of pool where I can pocket some balls'.

Bobby Charlton taught me to strike a football. I then saw him outside my school sports hall after my history GCSE where he was on a run and bouncing up to s asked if we were all right and what were we up to. I was fairly speechless, my mate, the heathen, told him what we were doing and then once said football legend had bounded off asked who he was. Bellend.

Met Talksports Geoff Peters a few times, he's great fun. Been on Hawksbee and Jacobs show twice. Also had Ravi Bopara and Alistair Cook wearing cricket equipment I had designed and almost had Cook signed for sponsorship for £25K, although I'm sure that had more to do with me being in charge of the bowling machine at the time!

Had a Surrey opener (James Benning) hit 150+ live on TV in said cricket equipment. That made me very proud even though nobody knew I'd done them.

Met lots of football people over the years, had lunch with Mick McCarthy, Terry Conner and Lee Richardson (then Chesterfield manager). Mick McCarthy is a legend. Dermot Gallagher and Keith Cooper are ace to watch football with and Cooper in particular is hilarious. Was also in a cut shot on the TV at the Barnsley 1-0 Chelsea FA Cup game where they were focusing on Parky and Dickie Bird. I only know bacause my phone suddenly went mental with hilarious text messages from my mates asking if the camera puts ten punds on you how many cameras were on me? Hilarious bastards.

Neil Kinnock is an absolute cunt as is Peter Risdale as I had the misfortune to be sitting next to them at a Cardiff game.

Got pissed in Munich with the missus and ended up getting even more drunk with Peter Weir who directed The Truman Show and Master and Commander.

I thought SLA was in Ripper Street?

The differences in the English language.

Potted: Something a plant has had done to it or the past tense of a good shot in snooker. As in 'I've just potted the plant dear, now I'm off for a game of snooker'

Pocketed: Fleecing a bookie or the past tense of knocking a pool ball into said pocket. As in 'I had £20 on Spain to win 10-0 against Tahti at odds of 100-1 now I've pocketed £2000 off the bookies, a right fleecing. Now I'm off for a game of pool where I can pocket some balls'.

Alright, well that's pretty much the same as over here. The use of potted as a snooker term just threw me off, as I assumed that snooker, like pool, would use pocketed as its word for scoring or sinking a ball.

Ricky otto turned up at a curry house I was at many years ago, a couple of chicks in tow. We sang the Ricky otto cost a lotto song. he looked non plussed.

a year or so later, went for a weekend in bournemouth with mates. at nightclub who turns up? Ricky otto with Richard shaw and a couple other cronies. we sang Ricky otto cost a lotto at him. he wasn't happy.

Guy called Christopher Roper, says he used to play cricket for Gloucester a while ago, now works for the Bank of Ireland.
He was on my training programme last week.

Hardly a claim to fame though.

I booked an appointment for Ian Hislop at work...don't really know if that counts.

I nursed two of the Eastenders cast (I forgot about this), one after a speedway accident and one after a drug overdose. They were both a pain in the arse.

Played with John Cleese's kids in a Notting Hill restaurant when I was about 8. He told them off a few times and sounded just like Basil having a pop at Manuel which was superb obviously.

Played football with Stephen Graham, Damian Lewis and Michael Fassbender when I was an extra on Band of Brothers and before they all became very famous. Also on Band of Brothers chatted to Simon Pegg and had the pleasure of weeing next to Tom Hanks.

Had a drunken chat with Nicolas Cage in a Greek night club whilst Penelope Cruz looked at me like I was something on the bottom of her shoe. To be fair I was wearing an England shirt at the time which always looks classy when abroad.

Robert Plant chatted to me about Michael Branch in a bar at Blues.

I'm also teaching in Muswell Hill at the moment which is very arty/rich and quite a few famous people have their kids at the school.

Ricky otto turned up at a curry house I was at many years ago, a couple of chicks in tow. We sang the Ricky otto cost a lotto song. he looked non plussed.

a year or so later, went for a weekend in bournemouth with mates. at nightclub who turns up? Ricky otto with Richard shaw and a couple other cronies. we sang Ricky otto cost a lotto at him. he wasn't happy.

I remember watching a very low level of Sunday League in Brum years ago now and Ricky Otto was playing. He couldn't even had been that old at the time.

I slept with Ali Campbell's daughter.

Lee Hughes jumped the queue in my local chippy. I told him to go to the back or else. He laughed but he did it.

Various celebrity sightings.

Best celeb encounter ever today. Shook hands with the man who drew a chalk penis on the back of Alan Partridge. Cashback!

I was working on room service at work tonight, doing the VIP amenities before they checked in. Had 3 rooms, all together on the 6th floor, with weird names on their envelopes, Mr Miles Behind, Mr Berty Dastard and Mr Kiefer Thedor. Thought that must be a group on a stag party and carried on.
About 3 hrs later I got an order for over 150 euro for Mr. Behind, pints of Guinness, bottle of Penfolds Shiraz, burgers, club sandwiches etc....
...went up, into the room, and The Script were all chilling in there.
Had a laugh with them about their check in names and congratulated them on their Isle of Wight performance which I watched on tv at the weekend.
Cool fellas, down to earth and the singer Danny even remembered me from their visit back in Dec when I told him all about my failed career in music. Lovely lovely fellas.
A cool celebrity encounter!

Clint Mansell bought me a beer in the Western.

When he lived in the area, he used to go in my local all the time. Which is a Holdens pub too.

Maybe he really likes Golden Glow?

Played football with Stephen Graham, Damian Lewis and Michael Fassbender when I was an extra on Band of Brothers and before they all became very famous. Also on Band of Brothers chatted to Simon Pegg and had the pleasure of weeing next to Tom Hanks..

You were an extra on Band of Brothers?!! I am insanely jealous of that!

Forgot this - once sat in a boat behind which Richard Branson's gorgeous children were waterskiing.

And another second-hander - My brother used to work for Branson on his Caribbean Island Neckar (that's how he got to snog Demi Moore), and when, years later, he (my brother) got married on a nearby island, Branson turned up like a millionaire Jesus, jumped off his boat, said hi to everyone, turned some water into wine and fucked off again quick as you like.

Actually, I'll claim it as a first-hander, as I was close enough to touch his sun-bleached beard.

ha ha i once conned Doug Ellis the villa chairman that the gardener from the golf course i worked at in Tenerife was the Mayor of Tenerife. At a villa Man utd game, he made a speech at the pre match dinner welcoming him, and then had the 'welcome' broadcast on the electric signs at half time.

I used to get pissed regularly with Emlyn Hughes and Andy Grey at the mount hotel, and with Andy at TGI Fridays, he called me the wee fella.

A Famous blonde footballer (Cov and Scotland) humped my then girlfriend while she was on a girlies holiday in Tenerife, so i phoned his wife and spilt the beans, and a year or two later, managed to two footed tackle the bastard in a testimonial at Molineux, and really enjoyed telling him who i was as i helped him up.

Got my beer bought all night at Wolves by Tommy Smith after another game, and spent a month with John Barnwell in Tenerife, and did some advertising with him and Cloughie, who was totally pissed by 9am.

oh yes, and Geoff Capes carried me around under his arm for 20 minutes (while playing) in another celebrity game, he said as he couldn't catch me, he prefered to keep me close.

Also chatted to Ozzie Osbourne, with my mate, who was his solicitor, while he hid up a tree in his garden from his wife Sharon.

Last edited:
Back