• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

anyone can have football thats kinda the point - the crowds in Saudi show they don't actually want it..
The crowds in MLS 15 years ago weren’t 30k+, it takes time.

Going on about “we just love it differently here” is exceptionalism, and as my home country is lousy with that, it rankles the shit out of me to see it elsewhere.

It’s part of why “The FA” bugs the fuck out of me.

This is it. This is what bugs me.

This all reads as “football is ours, you can’t have it”.
It's not that, is it.

There's nothing stopping someone forming an American Football league in the UK, it's got a decent fanbase these days as a sport, including plenty of folk on here (I don't mind it but I don't have anywhere near the knowledge to discuss it properly, so I don't). Could have say eight regional franchises, give Scotland and Wales one each then divide England into six. Plenty of stadiums you could use.

It would quite obviously be about 1% of the quality of the NFL no matter how much money you threw at it and to pretend otherwise would be silly.

If say, a West Midlands franchise pulled Tom Brady out of retirement and paid him £100m a year no-one would pretend that gave it credibility.

You've done that one before, it was bollocks then and it's bollocks now
“The FA”. No mention of who or where. Just, “The Football Association”.

If that doesn’t imply what the English FA feels about its place in world football I don’t know what does.

I’m done, this is riling me too much and I don’t want to get even snippier, but it’s tremendously disheartening that this stuff doesn’t bug people in the least.

If that doesn’t imply what the English FA feels about its place in world football I don’t know what does.

I’m done, this is riling me too much and I don’t want to get even snippier, but it’s tremendously disheartening that this stuff doesn’t bug people in the least.
It was the first one, it had no need to differentiate itself. It's not exceptionalism just the reality of history

Just so you know, you now share an opinion with Richard Keys :D

Just so you know, you now share an opinion with Richard Keys :D
I’m sure I’ve done worse. 😝
It was the first one, it had no need to differentiate itself. It's not exceptionalism just the reality of history
It’s the same, IMV.

It didn’t need to then, but it should do now, like every other FA in the world.

You'd be better off directing that ire at the 'world series'

You'd be better off directing that ire at the 'world series'
And I do. It’s also remarkably stupid that any of our big leagues here frame their championships as “world” anything.

“World Series” is dripping in the worst kind of American Exceptionalism, and I despise that about it.

I try my best to be Equal Opportunity with my bullshit.

The NHL can't even get the name of their sport right, so...

And I do. It’s also remarkably stupid that any of our big leagues here frame their championships as “world” anything.

“World Series” is dripping in the worst kind of American Exceptionalism, and I despise that about it.

I try my best to be Equal Opportunity with my bullshit.
We gave you baseball as well...you are welcome

Same goes for the RFU. These organisations formed when people barely knew that other countries existed. The FA could rebrand now to become the EFA (the football league only became the EFL relatively recently), but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone call for it - and it's the sort of thing I'd have expected to hear in Wales if anyone felt strongly about it.

As for denigrating the Saudi league, it's a fact that I'd be far more misty-eyed watching a Neves free kick go in if he was playing in an established league with fans and a culture around the sport where the people watching cared. You obviously can't create a culture overnight, I agree, but that doesn't mean we have to care about him scoring goals there - any more than him scoring a goal against his mates in the park. That's not saying he's playing park quality football, but he may as well be in terms of how much joy I take from seeing him score for a manufactured team in a manufactured league which is signing players for outrageous money, with no desire to create an organic footballing culture.

Did not know that!

Germany had a go for a bit as part of NFL Europe. The Hamburg team (Sea Devils, why) was around long after I left though.

I’m always in the market for NFL Europe gear.

Looking into it, there's a sort of NFL Europe II going. And I have played where Hamburg play now! Stadion Hoheluft.

1280px-Hoheluft2.jpg

Back